Buying new truck; long bed vs. short bed?

I am buying a new 2500HD Duramax diesel truck to tow my 2012 27RBS. I've read here that a longer wheelbase is generally better for stability. IIRC, there is a 10" difference in wheelbase between a shortbed crew cab and a longbed crew cab. Would that make much difference in towing? I would prefer the shorter wheelbase for ease in unhitched maneuvering.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We pull our Landmark Augusta with a 2003 2500HD crew cab short bed and it works great

wehavefun

I don't think you will notice much difference maneuvering, however if you ever decide to trade up to a fifth wheel the additional box space is really nice. I know lots of people use short boxes because they are easier to park and maneuver empty, in my opinion I like towing with the long box much better! I would get a long box.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have a long bed and have always had a long bed. I wanted to be able to lay a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat in the bed if I needed to. When towing the 5er we still have room in the bed to lay a blue tank or ez up in the bed without interfering with the hitch.

kowAlski631

We've had no problem towing our BH with our short bed Silverado from coast to coast. We prefer it over the long bed. It maneuvers well hitched or unhitched.
Martha

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Depends on what you plan to do with the truck when you're not towing the rig. And how much extra stuff you haul when you are. Personally, I prefer the long box on my GMC 3500 crew cab dually. Maneuvering it is not a problem for me.

GOTTOYS

I would go with the short box crew cab. A little easier to get around in. Given a choice I would move up to a 3500 series. Very little difference in cost, rides about the same but they will haul more weight on the rear axle. Sooner or later you will probably get a bigger trailer and you will have more capacity to haul it. If I was to guess I would say that 75% of the 2500 series trucks you see hauling a fifth wheel are probably overloaded on their rear axle weight...JMHO...Don

We have a crew cab short bed and it works great. We got the short bed so it would fit in our garage, that's what made the decision for us. I couldn't get the long bed crew cab in the garage.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I agree with johndar in that it depends on what the use of the truck would be other than pulling. We pull our 40 foot Big Country with a short bed single rear wheel without any problems. When we got the truck, it was also being used as a daily driver over a mountain ridge to work by my wife therefore she didn't want a dually or long bed. In the truck bed we can get 2 folding bikes in front of the hitch and also have a tri fold bed cover.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
The short bed trucks look cool and may maneuver a bit better, but I am on my third long bed truck and have never had any regrets.

Some say the longer wheelbase makes for less chucking and bucking while towing. Trace

pegmikef

I am new to fifth wheels so I don't know much about chucking (we have almost none with the Moryde hitch), but I got the long bed to allow me to add an auxilary fifty gallon fuel tank/toolbox combo. This set up is wider than just an auxilary tank and I am not sure it would even fit in a shorter bed with the hitch and all (if it would it would be tight). As to manuevering, I have had no problem but have nothing to compare it to because until now I have always towed travel trailers. I like the extra space. If there is a down side it is that you have to be smart about where you park (but you do anyway with a dually). Another bonus for Fords is that the OEM tank is 37 gallons instead of the 26 found in the crew cab short beds.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I tow my Cyclone 3100 with a Short-Bed 2500 HD ( 2005 ). I purchased it when I was towing a Travel Trailer ( SOB ) and it more Truck than I needed. But now with the Cyclone, I do find myself wishing I had the Long Bed ( and a 3500 DWD ). But with that said - I would say it is always best to buy more truck than you need today to cover for upgrades down the road. I've got nearly 230K miles on my Truck and at this point the only reason I would get a new truck would be to go to a 3500HD DWD so I could upgrade to a larger/heaver rig. But an upgrade is unlikely for me in the near term.

Kevin

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When I went to buy my first 5th wheel a person told me to get a diesel and a long bed. I think that was great information. In my opinion that is still good advise.

I have no problem with any 5th wheel I wish to buy. I have room for an aux. tank, room to carry additional items that I need. When I take my B&W hitch out I have a full bed to haul what ever I want.

As to maneuvering, I do have to be aware of where I am but have had no problem. The newer and larger Ford Diesel trucks are suppose to have the front axle extended wider making the turning radius much smaller. I do back into many parking spaces because I am longer than most parking spaces.

FWIW
BC

The shorter wheel base will give you a maneuvering edge when backing in. I had to maneuver back and forth several times to get my previous fifth wheel parked when at home. Would not have been possible at all with a longer wheel base.

scottyb

LB rides better on the highway and is not as choppy. LB has a larger OEM fuel tank or larger aftermarket replacement tank. LB can accommodate a tool box and a 5th wheel hitch.

SB maneuvers better in tight spaces.

Birchwood

You will be happy with your short bed hauling the 27RBS.Actually you will be ok even if you upgrade to a Big Horn.If you upgrade to a Landmark you may want to consider a one ton but then again if you don't travel far the 2500 short bed will do just fine.

Lynn1130

This is much like the Chevy, Ford or Dodge discussions. As far as the bed size goes there is not enough difference to make a difference. If you need a bigger fuel tank go Titan and avoid taking up space in the bed with a tank. If you need more room go long bed. If you don't go short. I like the looks of a short bed therefore I have a short bed. It works fine for me, does not cause ride problems when hooked up. So, go with what you need and like. It is a personal choice because the extra few inches make little, if any difference.

DocFather

I have not had a long bed for years, until July. I got a 3500HD Duramaz Dually to pull a new 4100. So far, the extra bed length is great for firewood behind the hitch. Jus sayin!