3370 Get's the Nod

boatdoc

Some of you have been following our hunt for either of the side hallway models, 3370 or 3670. Thanks for all the info and tips. After going over the weight aspects of the 3670, how are some of you pulling that beast legally? My calculations have my 06 CC F-350 SRW 4X4 P/S at max or more than likely over, pulling the 3670 at it's max 16000 pounds.
We've been on the top of the fence over these two for 2 months now and we pretty much have agreed on the 3370. As with all trailers it's a give and take deal, I don't know if there is a perfect one. We can't do a new trailer and tow rig so it pretty much boils down to the 3370 which is fine. Wife says she doesn't need that BIG kitchen anyway.
We still have time to be swayed into the 3670 if someone can show me I screwed up the weight numbers. Our truck ready to pull with fuel and the two of us is 8700 pounds. I do have the new 40 gallon Transfer Flow Tool box/Tank combo on the way so that figures into the situation also.
Not fulltimers but do spend time down South out of the rain in the winter. After this past weekend we both wish we were there. Thanks, Gary & Diana

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Doc:
Here is a thread that gives a lot of opinions and info on tow vehicles and weight.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=3491&page=2

billd

I pull my 3670 with a 2005 F350 SRW CC LB 6.0L PS. With the wife and I in it full of fuel we weigh 7,700 lbs. So I am very close to max weights with the 5th wheel when towing. It is a personal decision on how close to go with the weights. I dont think you can go wrong with either floor plan.

Bill

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Gary,
I can't tell you how the 3670 would pull, but we finally got to leave for 5 days a couple weeks ago and our 3370 pulled great with a lot less truck than you have. (We are loaded fairly light) We know at some point we will be looking at another truck, but for now the 01 250PSD 7.3 works fine and doesn't seem to struggle with the load. ( we bought it used and it was already set up for fifth wheel towing) Neither the EGT or the trans temp got hot enough to be worrisome and we went both up and down some good 7% grades. We were pleased with the performance on our first trip out. I know with the 350 you could beat us up the hill, but Ray's racing days are pretty much over anyway... We just call him Mr. Pokey now.:)
As a PS, The trailer plug vibrated loose on one of the grades and we went downhill on a winding 6% grade with no trailer brakes. No place to stop until we got to the bottom. Now, I was gritting my teeth the whole way down, but Ray says he didn't even notice until he saw the display on the brake controller. Granted, he had already geared down and was going slow to begin with.
So the point of this story is... The Heartland tows great, even for those of us new to the fifth wheel towing adventure. In a lot of ways the experience was better than driving the Class A's, and certainly better than we expected.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We decided we did not want to be over or even close to our limits with our Dodge 3500 DRW, so when we purchased the 3600RL...very close in weight to the 3670...we decided to go with the GMC 4500 Kodiak. Not the least bit sorry...tows AND stops this thing like nobody's business!!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We took a 2 week trip pulling our 3670 with a Chevy 2500HD Duramax and it did fine. We had chipped the engine just for the added torque and put air bags under it to help stabilize it.
We had a chance to get a GMC 3500 Duramax dually, so we did because it will make travelling that much easier and the new interior is much more comfortable. If the price hadn't been really good though, we would still have the 2500 and be fine with it.

Happy Campers

boatdoc,i think you will be very happy with the 3370RL.The reason i say that is the kitchen area,i think they call it "a chefs dream" or something like that but it is also nice.I guess the decision is yuors and good luck in making it.