Cleaning & Treating Rubber Roof

57chevyconvt

I have used most of the recommended rubber roof cleaners on the market with little success in removal of mildew that as impregnated itself into the EPDM rubber. The most recent cleaning agent was Murphy's oil and scouring with a scotch bright pad. This cleaning process did a relative decent job, I then coated the roof with the Dicor roof treatment. But after two week, the roof looks as bad as it did before cleaning and treatment. I recall reading of a new product on the market that would kill the mildew in one of the recent travel magazines, but for the life of me I cannot located that product. On the roof of my old TT I use Comet and other abrasive cleaning agents that contained chlorine bleach, but I don't think I want to go that route with the BH roof. Since I don't have a covered area to store the BH, it does see the element of humid South Texas. Would appreciate any and all advice as what to do in the way of cleaning and treating the EPDM rubber roof to bring it back to some acceptable appearance.

Birchwood

Re: Cleanig & Treating Rubber Roof

I called Dicor regarding the mold problem and they recommended Tilex mold and mildew spray.I have used it for years and you just spray it on and the roof turns white before your eyes.Rinse and wash with mild soap and roof job is done.Then you have to thouroughly wash the entire outside of rig.It takes about 3 bottles for the entire roof

dhcolesj

+1 on the Tilex spray. I have also cleaned a RV roof with Dawn dish detergent when the mildew wasn't real bad.

wdk450

This month's "Trailer Life" (which I got as a freebee in my goody bag at the Jackson, Ca. rally) has an article on care and maintenance of RV roofs.

57chevyconvt

Thanks Bill for the information on the Roof Cleaning and Maintenance article in Trailer Life magazine. I more or less followed the Murphy Oil soap cleaning process but was unable to remove the mildew with just the soap solution. After I return from the Canton, TX RV Rally in a few weeks, I plan to try the Tilex approach to remove the mildew prior to retreatment with the Dicor Rubber Roof Treatment.