Water Heater By Pass leaking

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I winterized our landmark yesterday and discovered the antifreeze coming out of the bottom of the hot water tank. Just so you don;t have to ask, I double checked that I had the by pass turned properly.

I have not had this happen before, I have ordered a new bypass switch just to ensure that is not the problen.

I went through 5 gallons of antifreeze, when I get the new switch I will run 2 more gallons through to just to be safe.

After the knock on the head in JUne I was not trusting myself so I got the DW to check and she says everything looked like it should... go figure.

danemayer

Re: BY Pass leaking

Hi Chainsaw,

The hot water outlet on the water heater should have a check valve. If it's been removed, or is malfunctioning, I would think antifreeze pumping through the lines could flow back into the water heater.

aatauses

Before installing the by pass valve I would agree with Dan--the issue may be the check valve in the outlet line of the water heater. That is what happened to me, thinking it was the by pass valve and it was a faulty check valve. You can check this by disconnecting the line to hot outlet at the heater and plugging the line, run your antifreeze, if all goes ok, then it is probably your check valve.

brianharrison

I agree to check the check valve.

Chainsaw - I have an spare brass check valve (new) here in Alberta - let me know and I could send it out to Saskatchewan. I am heading back down to US this fall and I can pick up another one then. They are stupid expensive up here in Alberta, half the price from Amazon(dot)com.

PM me with your address if you want me to send it.

Brian