Light Duty Diesel Pickups Are Here (Almost)

scottyb

Looks like Nissan and Ram will soon offer a diesel engine option in their LD pickups. GM owns 1/2 of VM Motori, the engine builder for the 3.0L that Ram will introduce. They are sitting back to see if the market is there. GM Ready to Jump In if Diesel Half-Tons Take Off HMMM! I have always thought of GM as a leader, not a follower.

What are your thoughts of a LD diesel pickup. My wife drives a F250 6.7 now, and really has no use for it, except for the fact that it is a diesel and has the best resale value on the market. BTDT, even the Mercedes diesel SUV couldn't hold a candle to a Ford or GM's resale. I could see her in a LD, but not until the right one comes around.

alex00

If I had my way everything I drove would be diesel. I've got a 2012 Wrangler, and was really hoping the diesel rumors were true before I bought. I toss around the idea of converting my '68 Bronco to diesel. I think my next sedan will be a diesel VW, or the like. If I was in the market for a truck that couldn't haul a giant trailer, I'd jump all over a 1/2 ton diesel. I don't know if I'm the typical American auto buyer, but if other people think like I do, there will be no problem selling the diesel half tons.

From a mileage standpoint, you can't go wrong. My buddy with a TDI Jetta just made a 900 mile trip at 75-80 MPH getting over 45 MPG. If I could get that kind of mileage, with the utility of a pickup, I'd be very happy.

brianharrison

The North America market is not yet ready for widespread diesel vehicle acceptance. It is unfortunately perceived as a "dirty" fuel. Europe has had much more success in acceptance of diesel engines as preferred over gasoline.

I too would prefer a diesel engine in everything I drive.

Here is an interesting article from USA today in August of this year - Why diesels are gaining momentum in diesel-hostile U.S

Here is a cool article that I just found. --> That Comes in a Diesel? 10 Models You Might Not Know About

The links might go dead as time passes.

I found them interesting.

Brian

DMitch

Gm had a V6 version of the Duramax all set to go in 1/2 ton vehicles a couple years ago. They built a new engine plant in NY for it and then canceled the project. They had in running in 1/2 ton pickups and Suburban type vehicles and showed it in several places. Also in many of the diesel magazines back then. People were excited but for some reason it just didn't happen. Maybe they will revive it!

Rickhansen

The North American market has been primed for diesels to be mainstream for a long time now. That movement was supported with higher pressure common fuel rail injection systems, turbochargers, and Diesel Particulate Filter technologies the eliminated the smoke and noise issues.

Back in the early 2000's while working at Daimler-Chysler Tech Center, they had almost every Jeep and Chrysler vehicle model with diesel engines in testing. The Federal Government put the brakes on that with the new requirements of ULSD and far more stringent emissions requirements. That was not a bad thing, but virtually halted the manufacturers from proceeding to bring these vehicles to market until the SCR and Diesel Exhaust Fluid systems were implemented and proven here. These have been on the road since 2011, and have improved, gained acceptance, and we now have the distribution and infrastructure in place to support them.

The Diesel engine is significantly more efficient, and is the perfect application for Hybrid technology. The increasing CAFE requirement is now forcing the manufacturers to push these engines into the market again, whether you are ready or not.

ramdually4100king

I am looking at getting my wife a 1500 Ram if EPA/CARB haven't meddled so much it gets half the gas mileage listed and goes into limp mode when you sneeze.

Mizmary

I am excited for my new truck!! My new truck (thanks ramD, I loooove you) will be red!

I think California's diesel issues have a lot to do with the "diesel hatred" in our country. When we had our passat diesel and traded it in here in the republic, they told us how hard it would be to sell. He had it sold before our trade was final.

What people don't realize is that diesel is cleaner than it used to be, puts out fewer chemicals and carcinogens than the emissions from unleaded fuel, and takes less processing (also putting out less chemicals at the processing plants.) Not to mention it gets better gas mileage so you are consuming less, also contributing to fewer chemicals and junk going into the air.

And if you consider that hybrids often don't get hot enough for the catalytic converter to do its job properly, and how dangerous all those batteries are to the environment when they are disposed of... It makes you wonder what kind of propaganda this good old state is pushing.

scottyb

I can't wait to hear your feedback. Hurry up and get it.:cool:

Seriously, I have been waiting for this since the early 90's. My wife has a beautiful F250 KR 4x4 6.7L, but she would love to get better mpg. It has to be a diesel pickup. The reports say that Ram hopes to have the 1st 1/2 ton pickup to hit the 30 mpg mark.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
The world record was set in 2012 for farthest distant driven on a single tank fuel of a stock vehicle. It was a TDI Passat, left Houston and went East. They made around 1600miles on that tank. No hybrid could touch that or petro engine for that matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

scottyb

In 2005, Mercedes Benz set a world extreme endurance record at a test track in Laredo, Tx. They randomly selected 3 E320 CDI sedans off the assembly line for the test. They were sealed and shipped to the US by the FIA (governing body for world record attempts). All 3 cars completed 100,000 miles at an average speed of 224 Km/h (approx. 140 mph). The only stops were for fuel, driver changes, and routine maintenance. It was all observed by the FIA. You can read about it here.

marvmarcy

Those among us with signiicant diesel experience are already sold, but the general gas-engine public only thinks of older, noisy, stinky trucks and busses and wants nothing to do with the more-expensive smog producers.

priorguy

Everyone | know is primed and ready for the onslaught of new diesels to the dealers lots. More options than just VW and MB, and hopefully competitive pricing comes with it. Not many fans of ecotech or ecoboost in the circles I travel. Many are driving diesel HD trucks that don't need them very much when and LD would suffice. Myself included, as the truck is more of a family station wagon and occasional trailer tow duty.

http://www.dieselhub.com/half-ton-diesels.html this link describes what coming down the pipe and lists Fords possibilities. Too bad like the General, they are waiting to see what the market dictates. I believe the Nissan Titan may take the take the market by storm and possibly outsell the big three for the first time.

Note that Fiat is the other 50% stake holder of Motori and according to autonews.com they will be buying out GM's 50% share.
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-vm-motori-diesel-joint-venture#axzz2fr3twZ1U

Mizmary

We had a tdi passat for several years. I loved it. I once got almost 60 mpg between Newport RI and Virginia beach VA. :)

We need to get someone on board with anti-brainwashing everyone who has been brainwashed against diesels!!

scottyb

Well I stayed the course. My 1st diesel was a 1981 Toyota pickup. I had to turn off the AC to get up a hill, but they would outlast the truck they were in. The GM folly 5.7L (late 70's) almost single-handedly destroyed the diesel engine market in the US. I couldn't give away my Toyota, which was exactly what I did at 190K miles after retiring it as a ranch truck. It promtly left for Honduras and is probably still running around down there.

Mrsfish

So the story goes....gm contracted with cummins 3 or so years ago. Cummins built the 3.0 engines and then for u known reasons gm cancelled the contract. Those are the 3.0 engines that Nissan just contracted for delivery to their Titan truck. I hope it's a marriage made in heaven as I love my Nissan (pathfinder) and I love our diesel. Hope one day there is a diesel pathfinder

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
So the story goes....gm contracted with cummins 3 or so years ago. Cummins built the 3.0 engines and then for u known reasons gm cancelled the contract. Those are the 3.0 engines that Nissan just contracted for delivery to their Titan truck. I hope it's a marriage made in heaven as I love my Nissan (pathfinder) and I love our diesel. Hope one day there is a diesel pathfinder

Buts its a 5.0l engine from Cummins and not a 3.0l.

Also, I hope Nissan goes with their original plans from pre-2008. They were almost at agreements with Dodge to rebadge the 1500 as a Titan. Which Nissan needs to do something because their sales won't benefit much due to the uglyness of the current styling. They only sale around 20k units a year. With those sales it won't justify the Diesel engine for long.

People need to realize that Light Duty diesels have been on the road since they first put a diesel in a pickup. 3/4 Tons and 1 Tons are light duty classed pickups. Trucks like the Ford F-650 is a medium duty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD