Stackable Comparison

BigJohnD

About to go full time and debating brands of stackable washer / dryers. We're looking at the Splendide Ariston set or the comparable Whirlpool version. How easy is it to find service for either. Any opinions on one being more reliable than the other. These will be installed in a nicely customized cargo trailer, but still need to be the "RV" size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guyc66

I can't give you any reliability comparison between the two brands, but we have used our Splendide Ariston stackables almost every day for the past two years without any problems. They work great and we couldn't be more pleased with our purchase. Good luck with your search.....hopefully someone on here can give you more information.

BigJohnD

Thanks guyc66. Sounds like the Splendide has been reliable. I've read several good reviews.

kowAlski631

Love our Spendide Ariston stackables. Do multiple loads each week over the past 5 months with no issues.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We saved a ton of money buying the Whirlpools and they have been rock solid for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Dutch & Di

Don't have the 2 you are asking about but we've used our Sears stackables for 17 years of fulltiming and they still work great. Hugs, Di

BigJohnD

Thanks all for the responses. Sounds like I'd be safe with either. Was looking at the cost savings on Whirlpool, but I guess it depends on where I'm at when I'm ready to purchase.

Curt_Hinson

Hi, Dutch and Di. I had both of the Whirlpool's (stackable washer and dryer), but when I installed the Whirlpool in the new RV, the door would not lock. It was one dang tight fit to get it through the doorway into the bed room and I may have damaged the door lock. I went online to Home Depot and ordered a new Maytag (made by Whirlpool and looks exactly the same as the Whirlpool). It was delivered to my local store and all I had to do was pick it up. They had a special going on that it would be delivered, setup and tested at my house free of charge, but to my bad, they would not touch that with a ten foot pole in an RV. They would deliver it and set it in my house. I didn't need that, so I picked it up, backed my truck up to the door and only had to use a short piece of plywood to hand truck it into the RV. Both the washer and dryer (I kept the Whirlpool dryer) are installed and working beautifully.

If you are the type that has to have Ralph Lauren bedding, etc., then go with the Splendide's. If you can shop at Sears, JC Penney's or other stores of this type, go with the Whirlpool's or Maytag's. Both brands will do the job, but you can purchase the Whirlpool washer and dryer for about the same money as you will pay for one of Splendide units.

The Whirlpool's and Maytags can be purchased Home Depot or Lowes.

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances...51&searchNav=true#/?2bcpr6=2bcpr6&c=1&4l4=4l4

I hope you can understand what I have tried to say.

Curt

Last edited:

boatto5er

We had to take off the bedroom door and one side of door trim (very fragile operation - the trim is not solid wood - had to pry off very carefully) to get the washer into the bedroom.

BigJohnD

On the maytags I looked at in the link, it lists the dryer as 30 amp. Surely this thing doesn't really require that. Splendide equivalent shows a lot lower amperage requirement with a standard 20 amp plug. If everybody's putting the maytag or whirlpool in an RV, surely they don't require anything other than the 20 amp prep plug that's in a typical washer / dryer RV prep. Can someone set me straight on that. Prices I saw on the maytag were same as that of the splendide Ariston set. That was on Home Depots site. $750 a piece, which is same if not more than splendide.

danemayer

On the maytags I looked at in the link, it lists the dryer as 30 amp. Surely this thing doesn't really require that. Splendide equivalent shows a lot lower amperage requirement with a standard 20 amp plug. If everybody's putting the maytag or whirlpool in an RV, surely they don't require anything other than the 20 amp prep plug that's in a typical washer / dryer RV prep. Can someone set me straight on that. Prices I saw on the maytag were same as that of the splendide Ariston set. That was on Home Depots site. $750 a piece, which is same if not more than splendide.

John,

I believe 30 amps is pretty standard for home dryers. Note that at home, the dryer outlet is not a standard wall plug. There's a significant difference in drying time between a 15 amp dryer and a 30 amp dryer. A small load in our stackable Splendide may take 90-100 minutes to dry. The same load at home would take 30-40 minutes.

If you wanted to go with a 30 amp dryer in the RV, you'd have to install a 30 amp breaker, new wiring, and a 30 amp outlet. And you might have to balance appliance use to keep from tripping the coach or pedestal breakers.

boatto5er

The Whirlpool dryer uses a standard household plug @, I believe, 20 amps. I got ours from Lowes during a big appliance sale (15% off, plus another 10% off with my retired military discount). Washer cost $470, dryer was $440.

BigJohnD

Got it. In our case, it'll have to be the whirlpool or splendide with the 20 amp plug. The cargo trailer they're going in will be a 30 amp supply, so that narrows it down. The trailer is our mobile attic, wash room, shop and for bikes and misc when moving from place to place. Had to keep it small and simple where it'll fit in the sites we've selected.

brianharrison

My washer uses a 15 amp dedicated circuit and the dryer uses a separate 15 amp dedicated circuit. I suppose this could be categorized as a 30 amp requirement.

Brian

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

danemayer

My washer uses a 15 amp dedicated circuit and the dryer uses a separate 15 amp dedicated circuit. I suppose this could be categorized as a 30 amp requirement.

Brian

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
There's a big difference between having 2 15amp circuits and 1 30amp circuit.

danemayer

We are new owners of a cyclone 4100. Could anyone tell me if a stackable unit will fit in this type of fifth wheel toy hauler?

Hi Jae,

Congratulations on your new Cyclone and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm not familiar with the 4100, but the Heartlandrvs.com website shows that most Cyclone models have washer/dryer prep. Heartland typically uses the stacked Splendide units, so if you have the washer/dryer prep, the stackables should fit. Washer/dryer prep would be hot and cold faucets, a drain, and a couple of outlets, probably in the bedroom. If you don't find the prep, it might be tough to retrofit.

Lots of people have installed the washer/dryer after purchase (if the prep is there). You'll need an overflow tray and probably need to locate the overflow drain hose. You'll have to carefully cut a vent hole in the sidewall of the trailer.

You may want to call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They can fill you in on specifics related to your trailer, including where to put the vent hole.

Of course most dealers would be happy to sell you the washer/dryer and install it for you.

OhShoot

Hi, Dutch and Di. I had both of the Whirlpool's (stackable washer and dryer), but when I installed the Whirlpool in the new RV, the door would not lock. It was one dang tight fit to get it through the doorway into the bed room and I may have damaged the door lock. I went online to Home Depot and ordered a new Maytag (made by Whirlpool and looks exactly the same as the Whirlpool). It was delivered to my local store and all I had to do was pick it up. They had a special going on that it would be delivered, setup and tested at my house free of charge, but to my bad, they would not touch that with a ten foot pole in an RV. They would deliver it and set it in my house. I didn't need that, so I picked it up, backed my truck up to the door and only had to use a short piece of plywood to hand truck it into the RV. Both the washer and dryer (I kept the Whirlpool dryer) are installed and working beautifully.

If you are the type that has to have Ralph Lauren bedding, etc., then go with the Splendide's. If you can shop at Sears, JC Penney's or other stores of this type, go with the Whirlpool's or Maytag's. Both brands will do the job, but you can purchase the Whirlpool washer and dryer for about the same money as you will pay for one of Splendide units.

The Whirlpool's and Maytags can be purchased Home Depot or Lowes.

http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances...51&searchNav=true#/?2bcpr6=2bcpr6&c=1&4l4=4l4

I hope you can understand what I have tried to say.

Curt
what are the model numbers of the washer and dryer , the link does not work for me.

Mizmary

We found that the stackable would be too tall for our closet once we got the drain tray installed ( the tray is much larger than the floor space and we needed to install a riser as well.) We opted for the splendide 2100xc. It's on sale big time right now at CW. It has met the needs for our family. A longer wash/ dry time, but we only lost the bottom half of the closet rather than the whole thing. Jmo.

We also have a 4100.