Solved: No hot water using electric

Subdrv

After a month in the new cyclone we stopped getting hot water using just electric. The gas worked fine. Today I took the basement wall out to look at the electric element. The pictures shows what I found when I took the cover off the heating element.

image.jpgThe wire nut was melted and the other two were loose. So I tightened them cut the wire on the one that was melted and installed a new nut. After I turned the power back on I had 120 volt across the element. I had read several post on here which got me headed in the right direction.

wdk450

This has been reported multiple times now. Somebody has to find that water heater wiring installer and re-educate him!!!

GOTTOYS

Same problem on my 2011 Big Country. One of the wire nuts fell off and the wires came apart...The same guy must be building Cyclones now....Don

wdk450

I had similar problem - I believe stripped wires extending from wirenuts were touching and shorting out the water heater circuit. The wires/wirenuts were taped tightly together. Anyways, the circuit worked normally after I re-did the connections.

RuralPastor

Making secure (electrically/mechanically) connections in wiring is basic...and crucial. It is also simple. When 'in the business' I had no toleration for my electricians who could not perform this basic task. Why? Look at the picture above. No excuses. I'm just glad you found this before the problem worsened.