Does your under cover sag?

Loco

Here is a easy way to make your under cover look good.
I used 2x4 and primed them good with oil based primer. Then cut them to fix between the frame rails. I then cut my under cover into 3 sections. each section cut was made in the middle of the 2x4's. I then used screws and washers to screw the cover to the 2x4's and the frame. Now two of them are mounted in the new water Tank supports (3" steel channels) I had to put in when the tank fell. But you could just run the 2x4's below the factory tank mounting.. My under cover now has no waves and is easy to remove and replace when I need to do work under the rig.

Attachments

• fdic 136.jpg
    fdic 136.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 380
  • fdic 141.jpg
    fdic 141.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 379
  • Milledgeville 2006 098.jpg
    Milledgeville 2006 098.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 348
  • Trailer repairs 043.jpg
    Trailer repairs 043.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 331
  • Milledgeville 2006 087.jpg
    Milledgeville 2006 087.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have had the same idea. I've been carrying 4-1X4X6 cedar boards to do the same thing with the exception of the fresh water tank support. We're moving within our park next week to a nicer spot so it's in the plan. We already had the factory fix done for the tank support but the wood is a wonderful idea for other areas and easy to do and re-use.

Forrest Fetherolf

Light weight steel wall framing studs would be a option in lieu of wood cross members. The cost is about the same, lighter, cut to size with tin snips, and use sheet metal or drywall screws w/fender washers to secure undercover.

Forrest

Pulltab

Forrest Fetherolf said:
Light weight steel wall framing studs would be a option in lieu of wood cross members. The cost is about the same, lighter, cut to size with tin snips, and use sheet metal or drywall screws w/fender washers to secure undercover.

Forrest

This would be my choice, will not warp and is galvanized to prevent rusting. Would be a good idea to spray with undercoating anyway and they would match the underbelly. :)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
sagging

I have a lot of stuff that sags, did'nt use to.:eek: :rolleyes: I like the metal stud ( used to be one) idea, think I wiil do that. Bob :D :D

bcpolaris

bcpolaris
I thought I would show you the extra fresh water support member as well as the wooden cross members I used for the under-belly. Now the water tank doesn't sag and the under-belly will be easy to take down when I plan on insulating the floor.

Attachments

• IMGP5168.jpg
    IMGP5168.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 261
  • IMGP5165.jpg
    IMGP5165.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 275
  • IMGP5164.jpg
    IMGP5164.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 285
  • IMGP5161.jpg
    IMGP5161.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 292
  • IMGP5160.jpg
    IMGP5160.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 302
  • IMGP5169.jpg
    IMGP5169.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 267

Taz Devil

Great idea and job. I think with me living in FL I would also prefer the metal studs over wood. Well done and great pics.

sasha_j

bcpolaris, nice work. What material did you use for your cover sheathing, shown as black panels in your pics?

bcpolaris

bcpolaris
panels

The black panels that came with the trailer. If your trailer doesn't have it you can find a great price for it at your local sign shop. They just needed a little care in putting them in place. This will also keep the wind/rain and rodents from finding easy access.

davelinde

On my last rig that cover sagged a lot, by comparison my Cyclone looks like cabinetry! Other than appearance what is the concern about the sag?

Loco

Been there done that! I went though this all over 2 years ago. It makes life easier doing the cross members. Looks almost as good as my Work. LOL

PUG

Pug
I also went to my local Ace Hardware and purchased "frame clips". These are nice little hightension spring steel clips that have serated teeth. You can go around the outside and clip the underseal to the frame making it more solid and more weatherproof.