How to light water tank

Honestly, I did pay attention at my walk-through. It was just a month between the walk through and when I decided to use the hot water tank. I could not remember which switch was for the electric (shore-power) and which was for the gas. There is the one at the door (on the monitor switch) and one red flip switch that is clearly labeled. Please help me out......what a brain fade!

Thank you,
Hatterascal

jimtoo

Hi hatterascal,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family.

We all forget somethings. On your monitor panel for the tanks is a switch with the heater label. This is for the water heater on propane. The switch will turn red when on and a small redlight beside it should come on while it is igniting the propane and will go out when it is lite and heating the water. The one that is labeled and like a red light switch is for the electric side.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Manzan

We leave both switches on. The only time the propane kicks in is when there is heavy hot water use like washing dishes or taking a shower. The rest of the time just the electric side is working.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hatterascal, as mentioned, it's the switch on the monitor panel. You should be able to hear it trying to ignite with a fast clicking sound. If after 3 tries, it does not light it will need to be shut off and tried again. You may have air in the lines that needs to be purged or check t=for a bad fuse in the 12 volt panel.

DesertThumper

One thing I remember with our old trailer that is an indirect suggestion but more of a rule out is to check for spider webs. Our spider got in the main chamber and had to blow it out. That is inside the pilot panel outside.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the heater tries to light on gas and fails, do as Ray mentioned. BUT, wait a minute before turning the switch back on to allow any unignited gas in the chamber to clear. Otherwise, you may hear an unnerving BOOM when it lights. DAMHIKT. Sure cleans the barnacles out, though.

traveler44

If yours is like ours you will hear a little bit of a roar when the water heater is running on gas. You usually don't hear much when they are running on electric. Make sure your propane is turned on and you can purge air out of the line by lighting kitchen stove burners for a few minutes. Then flip the switch that you think is for gas and wait a few minutes and go outside and listen at the water heater door and if it is running on gas you should hear it roaring. We leave the switch on for the electric most of the time when we are in a camp ground that has electric service. Then we just switch the gas on when we want hat water faster.