Are Bubbles Normal?

Greengas

Hello Again Forum Friends

I am being told by my dealer that having some bubbles on a rubber roof is normal and that there is no reason to fix them. This is my third RV, all with rubber roofs, and the first with bubbles. There are multiple areas with bubbles, measuring maybe 4 to 5 inches long. So, in your experience, is this normal and acceptable? Here are some photos:

Roof Bubbles (Small).JPG

Roof Bubbles (3) (Small).JPG

Roof Bubbles (4) (Small).JPG

Roof Bubbles (5) (Small).JPG

I also have a few areas of bulges where I can feel something underneath the bulge.

Roof Bulge (2) (Small).JPG

Roof Bulge (Small).JPG

So, again, I am looking for input on acceptability. I realize that it is hard to tell size from these photos (I should have put a ruler next to the bubbles and bulges), but I appreciate any and all guidance you can provide.

Attachments

• Roof Bubbles (2) (Small).JPG
    Roof Bubbles (2) (Small).JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 31

danemayer

Good morning Ronn. These look fairly minor and probably won't be a problem.

Take another set of pictures with a ruler in the photo to show size. You should send the pics to Heartland Customer Service and ask them to note it on your vehicle record. After a few trips, take another set of pictures with a ruler (try to get equivalent positions) to see if anything is changing. It'll probably be stable. But if the problem is getting worse, you can catch it before it's too serious.

One thing to consider is that replacing a rubber roof is a pretty big deal and has some downsides. Everything on the roof has to be removed. The rubber gets pulled off, which destroys the luan underneath. New luan gets glued down and a new roof put on. All the fans, A/C units, ladder, vents, skylights are put back (lots of opportunity for error). Also, the factory installs the roof before the caps are put on, letting the rubber roofing extend a couple of feet. When replacing, the rubber gets cut at the cap, and a new seam is created, and with it, a new and very important focal point for owner maintenance. I would not have the roof replaced unless this turns into a much bigger problem.

Greengas

Dan

Thanks as always for your guidance. I understand the problems associated with a full roof replacement and it would be a last resort. Its just that I have never had this problem on two previous RVs so its all new to me. As soon as I get the coach back from warranty work I will take new pictures with a ruler. I guess that's the advantage of a 2 year warranty overall and I think a 10 year on the roof. There is no rush.

danemayer

10 year on the roof
The 10 years on the roof is to cover defects in the material. The bubbles will be classified as an installation defect covered by the 2 year warranty.

Theresau

We have a 2014 and have no bubbles and as you experienced in the past our previous (2010 BH) had no bubbles as well.

gebills

Appreciate the pic's Greengas. We have similar bubbles on our BH as you have pictured in the second and third pics. I haven't been too alarmed about them based on what I have read on the forum. It's good to see what other owners are experiencing though, thanx.....

MTPockets

We have several of these that look like the glue underneath has let go of the rubber. Never gave it much thought but wonder does this condition shorten the life? And, should anything be done?

sjs731

We have spots on our roof like in your second and third pics Greengas. I never gave it a second thought. It's been a couple years now since our rig was new and everything still seems fine. I scrub the roof twice each year and that doesn't seem to bother the bubbles either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK