HDTV via Satellite

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
Has anyone had any experience setting up one of the new satellite dishes being used for HDTV. It is a 5 LNB dish being used for Directv (not sure what Dish is using). With Directv, the dish must be aligned to 5 satellites. I would think that after setting the elevation and tilt as specified by a specific location, them slewing to the specified azmuth may provide acceptable results. One RVer on RV.Net indicted that he has been successful for several months. Just wanted see if anyone here has had experience doing this.

jbeletti

Winegard Trav'ler

I began my research on Satellite HD yesterday. I was told by Matt Cameron at Recreational Specialties that Winegard debuted their Trav'ler HD satellite dish for RVs for HD services.

I went to the Winegard site to read up on it. A little skimpy on real info for now. I phoned them to discuss and got more info. They plan to begin shipments around mid-January.

Due to the number of satellites needed for HD, the traditional dome dishes are not as suitable. In my past work experience, when you aim a satellite dish to pickup multiple satellites, the dish is positioned between the satellite signal beam, then the LNBs are positioned for optimal use of received signal. And when you increase the number of satellites to be received on a single dish, you need a larger signal collection surface - hence, a larger dish. the dish in most domes are pretty small.

This new Trav'ler dish is large. As such, it's not going inside of any dome. Like a dome dish, setting it up is fairly automated. One exception I found though is that the equipment must not be equipped with GPS as you need to plug your local zip code into the controller.

I used Dish Network service for the last two years. I think I'll try Direct TV for 2008.

So far, I have only researched Wingard. I am hoping there are other manufacturers that are implementing a decent HD solution for RVers.

Jim

We just installed Sirius in our Truck. I also just leared that Sirius offeres digital HD TV via an add-on reciever. The tech forums say it's about the size of two packs of cigarretes.

We have the Kenwood 7100 Head Unit (navigation, Sirius, Bluetooth, DVD, CD, Ipod, MP3, USB, blah, blah, blah) and it's 7" screen in the dash makes for nice movies....at the same time playing in the back seats for the kids. The Sirius system must somehow be compatable for inside the 5er using its super small antena. Once you have the Sirius reciever, your television just becomes the "headunit." Maybe something to look into...

Good Luck and Rock On...

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
Thanks, Jim
What I was thinking about is the Directv's 5 LNB dish mounted on a tripod. I prefer this setup so that I have the option to move it away from the RV to permit avoiding trees.

jbeletti

Makes sense. You'll have to have space to store that baby. Five LNBs probably requires a 1 meter elliptical dish??

Since my post, I looked at the KVH site to see how they do HD on their dome dishes. I know this is not for you but I'll share just the same as others may also be doing the same research.

Looks like with KVH and maybe other brands of dome dishes, you need to use a HDTV satellite switch. I "think" how it works is that as you change channels on your satellite receiver and go from an HD channel on 1 satellite to an HD channel on another satellite, the switch switches to an LNB that is pointed at the other satellite and in some cases, I think the dish actually moves to obtain a strong enough signal. I read that it can take up to 30 seconds in some cases to change HD channels.

'If" the Winegard solution eliminates the automatic moving of the dish when changing from an HD channel to another HD channel on another satellite, then I'll lean towards that sort of a setup. It may be an ugly monstrosity on the roof (vs. a dome) but it should deliver an enhanced user experience.

Still researching and maybe assuming/guessing on some of it right now.

Jim

snuffy

For simplicity and economics, I think I'll stick to the standard definition. After all, I've been watching it all my life and it's not bad.

driver311

HD puts regular tv to shame, u will need an hd tv also. my hd dish only has 3 lnbs, it is direct

driver311:) :)

jbeletti

All new trailers come with the HD TV sets so I figure I may as well embrace it for satellite reception too.

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
A user on RV.net replied to my email with this.

We used a 5 LNB on a Tri-pod while we were full timing. We had to quit because of DW's Moms medical issues. I set it up many times in many different States. I always just used the TV menu and the Zip code where ever we were located. I had very little trouble in setting up the Dish. We had the old type, the first 5 LNB dish was very cumbersome and large. Since we quit full timing we had Direct-Tv come out and install a new dish called slimeline. But you should not have a problem if you have a clear view of the Southern Sky. However you can buy a thing called a Bird Dog about $400.00 + or - all Sattelite installers use this type during install. I never wanted to pay that much. Just make sure you have a good strong signal and a clear view of the Southern Sky and you should not have a problem. Hope this helps some... We used our cell phones on speaker to communicate. Had walk'e talk'es but found the phones easier. If you are going to be staying in one spot for a long time, Direct TV will come out and set up for you 2 times a year and will provide the lastest in dishes and other equipment. You just call them with address like you are using the free movers service.

Based on his experience, I plan to use the 5 LNB dish on a tripod. A surveyor tripod is mwhat I plan to use. It's approximate $70 at Home Depot.

medic9016

grandseahawk said:
We just installed Sirius in our Truck. I also just leared that Sirius offeres digital HD TV via an add-on reciever. The tech forums say it's about the size of two packs of cigarretes.

We have the Kenwood 7100 Head Unit (navigation, Sirius, Bluetooth, DVD, CD, Ipod, MP3, USB, blah, blah, blah) and it's 7" screen in the dash makes for nice movies....at the same time playing in the back seats for the kids. The Sirius system must somehow be compatable for inside the 5er using its super small antena. Once you have the Sirius reciever, your television just becomes the "headunit." Maybe something to look into...

Good Luck and Rock On...

SIRIUS TV is not available in the U.S. or to individuals. It does seem very promising though.

Public and private broadcasters in the Nordic, Baltic and Eastern European countries use the SIRIUS Satellite System to reach households equipped with a satellite dish. SIRIUS also feeds broadcast signals to all major cable TV networks and satellite dish associations in the regions. SIRIUS serves about 150 of the biggest cable networks in Europe.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I know when we were first looking at the '07 BigHorns they all had regular ones in them. We ordered ours the last of August and was surprised that it had a HDTV when it arrived middle of Sept....Ken

sidney dreyfus

kingdome and satelite TV

We purchased the kingdome dish for our Bighorn. After 3 months I finally got around to switching over to direct tv from cablevision. I got a special deal from Direct TV that gave me a high definition dish for my house, 4 satelite receivers, house installation, and a portable dish for the rv for free. I just had to make a two year commitment for the service. The premier direct tv service includes 264 channels and runs about $100 a month. If I understand it correctly Direct TV recently changed it's HD transmission so our Kingdome dish will only receive high definition on the network channels until Kingdome can come up with a new HD converter. At least that's the way I understand it. The free portable dish is standard definition. I don't really need the portable dish because of the Kingdome, but it may come in handy in case the Kingdome is blocked by trees. The free dish for the house is high definition and from I understand it's pretty big and heavy. I won't see it till Friday so I really don't know it's dimensions as yet. One of the direct reps said it's about 36" across and pretty heavy. I will be able to get all the HD channels on the house dish.

linuxkidd

A quick lesson in DirecTV's HD Technology:

DirecTV's new HD service uses MPEG-4 encoding instead of MPEG-2 to maximize their bandwidth. For non-techies, here's a quick comparison:

DVD Quality Video at 480p (non-HD) feature length (say.. 120 minutes)
MPEG-2: 4.7gig in size
MPEG-4: 0.7 to 0.8 gig in size.

Or, around 6 times more data can flow in the same space using the new encoding technology.

The problem is.. Anyone who signed up before they started deploying the new technology has recievers that can only do the older MPEG-2 encoded streams.

Now, this means that in order to not shut off a bunch of people, DirecTV had to deploy new satellites with the newer technology while still leaving the old stellites up with the older technology.

From my understanding, there are still about 8 to 10 HD channels available on the older system, but the new ones are all on the new system.

Now, if DirecTV would only start using TiVo based DVR's on the new system.. I'd be a happy camper..

LK

donabel

I bought a surveyors tripod at Grainger for $79.00 ( as cheap as most non adjustable tripods).
I had a friend weld a 2 inch pipe to a piece of plate and bolted it to the top of the tipod.
Camping on a hill is no longer a set up problem.

Don (I stole the idea from Starband)

donabel

I also use a collapsable 5 gal. water bag instead of a screw anchor. I have been in some heavy wind and my rig has never turned over. I will try to send a picture.
Don

Oldlthrnecksgirl

Hisyoungercuterwife
I am really hating Direct TV right now, lol. We went out and bought a regular tripod as per their directions, just before Christmas. The installer came out and said the hdtv dish wouldn't fit and instructed me to go buy a 5 gal bucket and quick setting concrete which I did. Installer set it all up and when I asked if the set up was stable I was told "unless a hurricane hits you are fine". Well, no hurricane and my dish fell over and broke 23 days later. I called Direct TV, explained the situation fully and said I needed a different type of installation and please let the installer know that before they came out. Well, the installer was out this morning, apologized profusely many times and left with my dish still lying on its side in the grass.

It seems to me that a company that supplies a service should also be able to install the service in a safe and acceptable manner. Why they do not carry the equipment (tripod capable of bearing a 2" mast) is beyond me. I am now looking at the equipment in the link above and am wondering if it is any more secure than the bucket of concrete,,,

:mad: Elizabeth

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Liz, a 5 gal bucket of concrete blew over????? Good grief, what kinds of wind did you have:eek:???? And BTW how did you move it around, a fork lift?? Bob

aquiring signal

I've had DirecTV installers in two states tell me "no way" could I put a HD dish on a tripod and expect it to work. (I was also told to aim it you'd need an expensive piece of equipment, not just a compass) But if I hear many are doing this successfully, I would like to try it, too. Until then, I will wait and live with regular DirecTV picture and HD from the antenna.

As for concrete in a bucket as a dish base, in Kansas wind you'd want something WIDER at the bottom. (that dish acts like a sail) But that'd be heavy to move around the country. I say tripod with a wide footprint.