Hot Water Heater Drain

5erWonk

Anybody had a problem opening the hot water heater drain....I have not tried to remove the plug since taking delivery in Feb '07. I have applied penetrating oil and it won't budge.....I'm worried if I put a cheater bar on it I may damage the bung on the heater.

Any suggestions?

Forrest Fetherolf

You only have two choices now, leave it alone or get out the cheater bar. More than likely, yours being an 08, it just needs a little extra muscle to break it loose. Mine is was built 8/05, the cheater worked 1st time 9/07 w/o damage.

Forrest

nhunter

Mine was also very tight and had to use cheater bar. A little anti-seize goes a long way.

jpmorgan37

I just put in a new Anode rod two days ago and my 18" breaker bar took the old one out with little effort.

5erWonk

Thanks guys, I got it off. I'm surprised that the anode is already half consumed close to the attachment with the plug. Guess I'll go ahead and replace it so I'm not fishing it out of the tank this summer.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
5erWonk said:
Thanks guys, I got it off. I'm surprised that the anode is already half consumed close to the attachment with the plug. Guess I'll go ahead and replace it so I'm not fishing it out of the tank this summer.

When I drained mine for the winter I measured only 5/8" deterioration at the rods plug end, though bespeckled the entire length. I filter all my water going into the water system and believe that has a lot to do with how much that that little bugger has to work....Ken

Happy Campers

I drained the water heater after camping for 7 days and the anode rod had speckles on it also.I don't like to leave water in the tank and the plug was also tight.The plug did have teflon tape on the threads.

Retyred

Anode Rod

The anode rod for the Suburban water heater is available from Camping World parts counter.
Retyred

5erWonk

When I went to buy a new one from my local dealer they told me there is a wire through the core that will not allow it to become detached from the plug....They told me to come back next year.....Guess I saved a buck.:eek:

HOSS

I just tried to put the anode rod in for the first time since taking delivery of the BH 3670RL. It started real easy but got real tight about half way in, about 1/4 of threads still showing, is this O.k. or should I try and tighten it the more? Any help is appreciated since this is the first time taking it to our local camp ground to do the shake down before we hit the open road.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
As I recall that is normal. I use plumbers tape on mine and get it good and snug then turn on the water and check for leaks.

Don

vangoes

Hoss,
I think that is normal; mine is the same way. The first time I really noticed it, I took the plug to my garage and wire brushed the threads completely clean from any rust and also wire wheeled the treads inside the fitting in the heater. After all this, the plug still seems as if it does not go in all the way. So, in short, just snug it down and forget about it.

jnbhobe

The threads on the water tank are 3/4 pipe thread witch are a tapered thread the farther it does in the tighter they get Hope that helps

HOSS

Thanks ya'll, I put the plumbers tape on it and snugged it good and tight. Will check for leaks tomorrow when I hook the water up.