Saw and tested latest trucks

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yesterday, DH and I went to the Texas State Fair. One of the benefits is getting to see all the 2014 car and truck models on display, where you get to sit in them get up close and personal with all brands on one place. Chevy was also there with a test track for their cars and the new Silverado 1500. DH got to drive around (supervised) on various terrain. It was a great way to test drive!

Pics during the test drive, I'm in the back seat.

epa6a3um.jpg

Driving over rocks (cabin is quiet, shocks work well)

yqy5equ5.jpg

(Testing the automatic rear locking differential)

yryzybe2.jpg
u6e6y6ys.jpg

9u4u6ede.jpg

Using hill-assist

5ejabu6u.jpg
tetavu8a.jpg

Granted, it's a 1500. But nice opportunity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

dave10a

I good test for a suspension is what speed one can travel over dirt roads with wash boards without wheel hop. Any truck can easily navigate the obstacles shown-- even my old 50's era 2X4 and 4x4 GMC and Ford trucks we had on the ranch. Also if one is buying a new truck they should buy one OEM equipped that needs no after market help to do what they want them to do.

HornedToad

Yesterday, DH and I went to the Texas State Fair.

I cannot wait to go to the State Fair...

Attending a wedding in Ft Worth 10/18 and plan to go that weekend.

Even if you just bought a new truck, you still want to check out the latest and greatest.

Thanks for the pics!!! I'll put a test drive on my to do list.

PS If your planning on going to the fair check out riding DART, you can park (usually plenty of room for a TV & Trailer) at any station in the metro area and the train drops you off at the front gate, no worries with parking on busy (football) weekends. I might even try riding the Trinity Railway from Ft Worth just for the trip.

TXTiger

Tony, are you ready to go to the Texas Motor Speedway now? LOL LOL LOL Erika, will you let him go and drive there?

porthole

Retired
Also if one is buying a new truck they should buy one OEM equipped that needs no after market help to do what they want them to do

Haven't seen a new Ford yet that will allow 3000+ pounds of pin weight without needing air bags to keep it level, with the exception maybe of the 2013+ DRW's

Your SRW sits level with no additional help with a LM sitting in the bed?

dave10a

Haven't seen a new Ford yet that will allow 3000+ pounds of pin weight without needing air bags to keep it level, with the exception maybe of the 2013+ DRW's

Your SRW sits level with no additional help with a LM sitting in the bed?
my truck sit level with the standard Ford suspension. It pulls and handles well and safe and within Fords spec according to the Cat scale. No need for a dually. I did get all the suspension improvement Ford offers. And no air bags. I am considering the new air suspension that is a available for the trailer because the axles are not properly align because of how the weight is distributed for the Land Mark. the upgrade is approx $3500, so it is taking a lot of consideration. To align the axles and improve the bushing and beef up the hangers will cost less the $1000 so I am looking at $2500 difference which is a lot of beer money :)

olcoon

Sorry, but this is off topic. Tony, while @ the state fair, did you see some folks called "Chicks With Axes"? They are girls doing the lumberjack stuff. We saw them at a rest stop on I-44 outside Springfield, MO. Sally talked to them & they said they were on the way home to Maine from a fair in TX.

TravelTiger

Sorry, but this is off topic. Tony, while @ the state fair, did you see some folks called "Chicks With Axes"? They are girls doing the lumberjack stuff. We saw them at a rest stop on I-44 outside Springfield, MO. Sally talked to them & they said they were on the way home to Maine from a fair in TX.

Roy, we didn't see them, but the State Fair is huge with lots going on. Check out bigtex.com, they have a schedule of events like you wouldn't believe... They could have been there.

Erika

dave10a

That's why. Without the extra help from the camper package most of the new Ford's need air bags to level the truck out.
but the camper package added a sway bar on the rear axle. The point at which the over load springs contact is probably the reason the truck sits level. The overload springs come without the camper package. The camper package did not increase the trucks carrying or towing capacity over the other suspension options that did increase its capacity. I guess my Ford truck did not know most Ford truck need air bags to sit level pulling my trailer-- but I am not going to tell it :)

porthole

Retired
but the camper package added a sway bar on the rear axle. The point at which the over load springs contact is probably the reason the truck sits level. The overload springs come without the camper package. The camper package did not increase the trucks carrying or towing capacity over the other suspension options that did increase its capacity. I guess my Ford truck did not know most Ford truck need air bags to sit level pulling my trailer-- but I am not going to tell it :)

Right, didn't notice you had a 350.
BTW, keep an eye on the rubber pads that hit the overloads. I have had two tear between the pad and the tab that holds it in place. When I needed them they were about $7 each.

Last edited:

Tom-Kathi

When I was a contract driver for Navistar we used to do this type of event for the dealers and their sales staff. But much much more intense. I used to love when some salesperson would climb in and tell me they knew how to drive a 13 speed Pro Star.
We called these events Rodeos and a lot of the time it felt like I was riding a bucking bronco!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I didn't see a picture of Tony with the checkbook out?? Were you in the back seat with a loaded gun?? ;)

TravelTiger

I didn't see a picture of Tony with the checkbook out?? Were you in the back seat with a loaded gun?? ;)

Haha, at the State Fair there are no dealers. It's the manufacturers' show. They only bring the top-of-the line, all the bells and whistles versions. They have sticker prices on display. That alone is a big deterrent to bringing out a checkbook! Lol!