Will I need a 2nd A/C?

Looking into a BH 3500RL. Will the 15k A/C cool the unit or will I need a 2nd 13500 in the bedroom? We are not loking to go to the desert southwest at least for a few years.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I can't say for sure as my unit will not be ready for us until July 30, but if you are ordering, make sure that you get the "Pre-wired and Framed for Second A/C in Bedroom" option. It is less than $100 and everything will be ready for you if you decide to go with a second A/C.

Louisville is pretty warm in the summer (especially this summer), if it is anything like Lexington, where my son lives. You might not need to wait until you search out the deserts in a couple of years.

jbeletti

Same here - can't say for your coach, but speaking for my own (Landmark Mt. Rushmore), I wish I had 2 ACs and thermopanes. But budget did not allow it and I do not camp for extended periods (more than a few days) in very hot weather.

Two times out this year, I had days where the AC ran all day long and one time, all night long too (90s and no shade).

If your budget allows and if you plan to keep your coach for quite a long time, you may want to at least consider the 2nd AC from the outset. Thermopanes too if you can swing it.

We hope to keep our Landmark at least 5 years and when we retire, get another new coach. As we "hope" to full-time it for a couple years, we will opt for more goodies like 2 ACs and thermopanes.

Best of luck,

Jim

BigBlue

BigBlue
We have a Landmark Monticello with a single AC. For really hot weather the second AC is necessary. At 90 degrees, the single AC can't keep up.
Jim

phranc

I would do as cdbMidland suggested.. Get the 'wire and frame for second AC' option.. Then you can add AC later as size and budget dictate..

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
I'm curious, BigBlue - do you have the dual pane windows? I am purchasing a BigHorn 3655RD, which is very similar in floorplan to your Monticello, and have ordered the dual panes and wonder if one A/C will be enough for us.

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
We have a BigHorn 3400 with the artic pack and dual pain windows and have not had any problem keeping the coach cool. To us, cool means 73 or 74 degrees in the coach. We did not have any warm spots any where in the coach which is wonderful. We do have the stool room that gets very cold in fact, so we leave the door a little open and that works. That way you will not spend alot of time in this room because it will almost freeze you out. We only have one air and it has been 100 to 104 degrees in the sun. Injoy the thought of your new coach it is alot of fun!! Evans & Lana

BigBlue

BigBlue
Chuck
No I do not have the dual pane windows. We bought the Monticello on spec so to speak. It was on the lot.
I've seen stuff on the internet that says the dual pane windows are more trouble than they are worth because it's very difficult to keep the seal on the windows because of the movement. When the seal breaks you can get condensation in the window and it's virtually impossible to get that cleaned out.
I'm leaning to putting the 3M plastic insulation film over the windows if we need the added insulation.
Jim

Dusty

I have the duel pane windows in my coach,(bighorn3500) and have had no issues with them. Here in Texas, the heat can get terrific but so far the unit has kept up pretty cool.

Dusty:)

Cheryl

We thought about getting a second "bedroom" unit for our Golden Gate, but then we would have a problem getting it in our garage.
Just got back from Colorado where they had record breaking heat for a few days - averaged around 105. I found that if I closed the main vent (on the unit - ours is in the kitchen area) at night, the bedroom was plenty cool enough for sleeping. During the day, I opened the vent. The air conditioner pretty much ran continuously for those 3 or 4 days, but it did a fine job of keepng us cool.

Cheryl

I take back what I said in that last post. This summer, with record breaking temps of 106 to 108 for the entire week we were in Branson, plus high humidity, we are going to get a 2nd air conditioner. I guess it makes a difference if it is"dry" heat as in Colorado or "humid" heat like Missouri. I must say though, that the single unit kept it around 85 degrees during the day. I guess Nelson is going to have to build a taller garage!:D

BluegrassMan

Cheryl:

I just got back from a 3 wk. 1668 mi. trip. I was in Louisville Ky sitting on BLACKTOP for the week that was so miserible. We kept it @ 82-84 through the day, running 24/7. When the sun went down, so did our temp in the trailer. I was cursing the Dealer that told me, " You DON'T need the dual pane windows" !!! B.S. Now I wish I had them!

One of those Low profile units up front wouldn't set up any higher than the AC in the middle. I was studying your picture on your post. I used to see short units called "Penguin", black bottom with a white cover, on motorhomes. I don't know the Manufactuer.(Coleman,Dometic ? ) I was scrubbing the GC today, looking up on top. Just a thought.

Cheryl

Bluegrassman,
Thanks for the info. We'll have to do some research before buying. As is, our unit barely fits under the door frame. I bought a large table top fan for the bedroom, it helped a little. I'd rather have the 2nd air.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We ordered ours with out the 2nd AC ,but having it wired so we could add if needed. We also debated the thermo dual pane windows and decided to order, guess it looks like a good decision now. Carrier makes the shortest 13.5 BTU it is 7-1/2 inches tall, the Duo Therm ( penguin) is 9- 1/2 inches . The shorter they are the more they cost.:)

ChopperBill

You folks do TimK's "tent in the vent"? Makes those A/C's twice as efficient! You may only have to spend a few bucks and a few minutes instead of buying a high dollar second A/C.

Cheryl

The shorter they are the more they cost.
Why am I not surprised?:rolleyes:

You folks do TimK's "tent in the vent"? Makes those A/C's twice as efficient! You may only have to spend a few bucks and a few minutes instead of buying a high dollar second A/C.
I printed the posts out - including the pictures, but Nelson didn't want to look at them, let alone do any work, while on vacation. Maybe he will get a chance now that we are home. It will just be hard to test unless the temps go way up again.

Tom of Ypsi

I put the second air conditioner in our Mt Rushmore and am happy with it. It is 12" high so it makes no difference in height of the coach. During our hot spell I usually turned off the main AC and just put the bedroom on low with the door closed when I went to bed. Stayed nice and cool and when I get up I turn the main AC back on. I am usually up around 5 - 6 am so the coach has no time to really heat up and It stays around 78 during the day with both running. BTW I paid $538 for the bedroom AC.

Cheryl

How about sharing some more info with us, such as: the brand, model, where to purchase???

Tom of Ypsi

I got mine through my use to be dealer, General Rv. It is a Dometic Duo-Therm 579 series Brisk Air and probably can be had at most rv dealers and suppliers. Nothing fancy, no heat pump and pretty basic, that is all I wanted and that is all I got.

Cheryl

Thanks Tom, Bill, katkens and Bluegrass for all your input. I guess we'll have to get out the tape measure and figure out our best option.

Anybody out there try Tim's "tent" thing and then have extremely hot (above 100 for several days) humid weather? How cool did it keep your unit?