Can you replace the plastic register vents in the floor with smaller metal units?

Hey, I'm a proud owner of a 2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL, and I have a quick question.

Are the rectangular register vents in the floor a standard size that you can swap out with a more household style metal register that can be opened and closed?

The big register vent in the toilet room in our trailer turns that room into an oven and we'd like to close it down a little so that more of the hot air is forced out via the other vents, such as the round vent by the bed.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it's a 4x10 register, yes you can. The manufacturer (Suburban) says it's a no-no, but I've had metal adjustable vents on all of mine since 2009. Available at any Lowe's or Home Depot.

MTPockets

I had to replace my original floor vents due to the original being flimsy and broke some of the fins. The adjustable fit, but the well was too shallow for the adjustable, so I had to use regular non-adjustable.

We replaced our bathroom register with a mobile home (trailer) register. They are shallower than a regular house register and are adjustable.

Is that a common type found at most hardware stores, or will I need to order them in? Do you, by chance, have the brand and part number of the ones you purchased?

VKTalley

Is that a common type found at most hardware stores, or will I need to order them in? Do you, by chance, have the brand and part number of the ones you purchased?

You should be able to find them at a hardware store. I'm sorry but I don't remember the brand or part number as we purchased them either at Home Depot or Lowe's.

I found something like what I need to do in this thread:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/3309-Replacing-plastic-floor-registers

Sadly, it's closed and the product link is no longer valid.

Here's a picture that shows what my registers look like from that thread:

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1508&d=1186862539

Mk, there are 2x10 and 2x12 registers over at home depot, so I will poke through what they have as well. I found the specs for the original plastic units so I have something to work with. The bathroom register has a deflector in it and the vent opening is alot deeper than the others, so a regular vent should work.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I replaced the floor registers in our rig with 4x10 registers. The only 2x10 register was on a stair riser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Aye, however, your unit is 5 years newer than mine and a Landmark vs a Bighorn :). All of the registers in my Bighorn are the same as the picture I posted, except for a round one on the side of the bathroom vanity, which confused me as to why they didn't use a rectangular vent pointed out toward the room on the front base of the vanity cabinet instead of a little round one in the corner between the vanity and the bed.

Miller0758

Home Depot carries the mobile home registers in a variety of sizes in brown and white. They dropped right in for me without issue.

Home Depot carries the mobile home registers in a variety of sizes in brown and white. They dropped right in for me without issue.

Thanks, didn't get a chance to do any register vent shopping this past weekend, was making new oak shelves for my entertainment center. My unit had the fireplace deleted when it was purchased by the first owner, leaving a somewhat useless cabinet with no bottom other than carpet, and no middle shelf.

So, I added oak plywood sides to anchor into, a flush bottom shelf and a middle shelf so I could finish piecing my stereo system back together that I brought out of storage.

VKTalley

Thanks, didn't get a chance to do any register vent shopping this past weekend, was making new oak shelves for my entertainment center. My unit had the fireplace deleted when it was purchased by the first owner, leaving a somewhat useless cabinet with no bottom other than carpet, and no middle shelf.

So, I added oak plywood sides to anchor into, a flush bottom shelf and a middle shelf so I could finish piecing my stereo system back together that I brought out of storage.

Post some pictures of your new shelves, that sound nice and a good use of space!