Question about Hitch weight and slide outs

Mtngrrl

Hello. I am new to the forum and have been doing a lot of research on Fifth wheels. I have narrowed it down to 2. I noticed in the brochure it does not list the hitch weight for the Sundance XLT 285ts. I would like to know what this is. Also what type of slide mechanisms do you use for the slides on this model? I am looking to buy this winter at the RV show and want to make sure this is the one for me. The other I am looking at is an Open Range Light LF297RLs. As I am sure you know your fifth wheels, these two are very similar to each other. Also what is the pass thru opening dimensions. I am definitely leaning more towards the Sundance but have these few questions. Thank you

danemayer

Hi Mtngrrl,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to get answers to your questions and it's very possible that a 285ts owner will be able to answer your questions. Also, the Factory sees many (but not all) posts like this and may respond.

If you don't get an answer in a day or two, I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Identify yourself as a prospective customer and ask for the Sundance Brand Manager. He or one of his people should be able to give you the answers you're looking for.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum Mtngrrl. This is a great place for information from other owners.
The XLT285 has a GVWR of 9,900 pounds. Typically the pin weight is around 20 to 25%. So in your case it would be around 2,500 pounds. This is just a guess on my part and a lot would depend on how you load it.
According to HeartlandRVs Standards and Options for the XLT285ts the slides are electric.
I cant help you with the size of the pass through compartment. I suggest calling Heartland and have a talk with the Sundance Brand Manager.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

priorguy

The Sundance XLT293RE is 2" longer and 40lbs heavier according to the brochure and has a hitch weight of 1570lbs. They have the same bedroom slide. Of course that would go up depending on load inside. Call Heartland Customer service would be your best bet for the definitive answer. Good luck with your purchase.

danemayer

One thing to keep in mind is that published hitch weight probably corresponds to the dry weight spec. The actual weight of 5th wheels as they leave the factory is often 500-1000 lbs higher than the dry weight (depending on model). That will also increase the hitch weight. And as you load up and add water and propane, the trailer weight increases some more and so does the hitch weight. Given all that, and a GVWR of 9900, you might want to plan on hitch weight of at least 20% of GVWR as Dave suggested. That would be around 2000 lbs. And it could be higher depending on what options you get and what you carry at the front of the trailer.

Mtngrrl

Thanks so much for the info. I have a 2005 dodge 3/4 ton pickup with a 5.9 liter diesel engine. It is a long bed. I live close to the mountains and wanted to keep my gross weight down. sothat is why I like this model so much. I don't know what my pin weight max is on my truck. Will 2000# hitch weight be ok?

danemayer

Your truck's payload is probably right around 2000#, maybe a bit more depending on the specifics. You'll be a little overloaded because the payload has to include passengers, gear in the bed of the truck, weight of the hitch, bedliner, bedcover.

But you'll probably hear from a bunch of pround Dodge 2500 owners who will tell you they tow much heavier trailers without any problem.

You can check this out further at Fifth Wheel Safe Tow.