Timbren SES VS Traditional Air Bags??

Howdy to all! I am looking to beef up my suspension and saw a post that mentioned the Timbren SES www.timbren.com by yport and no one really commented. Has any one else used this over what appears by most to be the traditional air bag system? Which ever one uses does not allow you to load past what are manufacturers limits. Like to hear opinions especially those with engineering minds and why one would choose one over the other for RVing application. Thanks and Happy Travels Curtis

Speedy

I state this first that I have neither suspension addition you mentioned but I know that the Timbren system only engages at the point when your stock springs compress. An air bag system is designed to level out your tow vehicle once loaded. The benefits of the air bag system is adjustability to your pin weight. Down side is that you need some kind of air compressor to add air as needed. With that said the air bag system tends to cost more as you make it more convenient. The Timbren system are basically just helper springs or overload springs.

You are correct that neither systems will increase your load rating or capacity; only the manufacturer can do that.

brianharrison

Hello Curtis,

There are some comments buried in other threads about Timbrens - some positive, some negative. I've got that engineering mind and I prefer the conventional air bag route. It provides the most flexibility for different loading scenarios. The Timbrens are not adjustable (to my knowledge) and you get the same increased stiffness, loaded or unloaded.

If you are concerned about the hassle of airing up and deflating, loaded and unloaded - some have installed the compressor, gauge, and switch kit with the air bag installation to make the adjustments real easy......

My 2 cents.

Brian

Gizzy

I started out with the Timbrens and they seemed to do a good job, however I switched over to air bags hoping to soften the ride. Can't say it did any good as far as the ride is concerned however, I do like being able to adjust the level of the truck with the bags. As far as keeping the rear of the truck from dropping too much, the Timbrens worked just fine and were considerably cheaper. Plus you don't have to worry about checking the pressure all the time. If you have a large bank account and can afford the on board compressor and the stuff that goes with it, go for the bags. If you want something to just keep your truck level and not spend lots of money, the Tembrens should work just fine. Just my opinion.

Snow

Hey Curtis , I have a 2013 250 SD sagged a little with my big country so I installed air lifts with an onboard compressor I couldn't by happier I paid around$ 450 with a $ 100 rebate I run around 40 psi when towing 10 psi when empty hope this helps ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

Jimsryker

I installed air bags on my GMC 2006 2500HD. My second pair since the first pair that I had installed on my GMC 1500. That turned my 1/2 ton into a real truck that I could haul items in from the local DIY store. My opinions are pretty much covered here by others but I would add that I don't have the compressor on my current install or my previous for that matter. I have a compressor in my garage at home and I just add as needed at the start of every trip and that has always sufficed. I do have one of those small portable compressors that I carry in my truck and that would be more than enough to "touch up" the pressure on the bags if needed. All that being said, when installed correctly, you shouldn't be losing air pressure to quickly. Mind you, I am not a full timer and my trips are two weeks in duration, tops. To date, I have never had to add any air.

Giant had my rig for 1.5 months for warranty work and I just got it back Monday. I had added air to 20 PSI the week prior to bringing it in for our annual beach trip and after just checking it on Monday 9/30, the pressure was 18 PSI.

Snow

Hey Curtis , I have a 2013 250 SD sagged a little with my big country so I installed air lifts with an onboard compressor I couldn't by happier I paid around$ 450 with a $ 100 rebate I run around 40 psi when towing 10 psi when empty hope this helps ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️
I should add that the compressor I installed is about the size of a pop can , vary small I installed it above my spare tire you can hook up the rv and the compressor will lift it with no problem ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

iaflatlander

Have the Timbrens on a half ton Ford. Work great with our little 5'er. Cheap , don't effect the ride when empty and won't require maintence. JMHO

artsbighorn

I have had them on my last 2 truck's .They have worked well for me. My current truck is a2012 Chevy 3/4t HD diesel 4/4. My rig is a 2008 3670 Bighorn.See y'all down the road.