rear marker lamp

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Last weekend I installed an extra marker lamp to rear of our BH. Its simple, get the lamp used on the GM 1ton under the tailgate. Remove the license plate holder, install masking tape above the Heartland decal over the lamp, find center of the decal and mark it. Next find the center of the lamp and mark it. Put the lamp over the decal and mark the screw holes. Cut off the retainers on the lamp off and cut the connector off the wires. Put the lamp in place and mark the hole for the wires to through. You will have to use a rat tail file to open the hole sideways. Do your wiring work at the license lamp, soldering is best, pull some wire though the hole you made in the cap and through the lic plate hole and connect. Install shrink type spade connentors on the lamp and new wires, just make sure that power and ground are correct before the lamp is installed. Install the lamp with stainless sheet metal screws. For you Ford and Dodge folks a GM part will not make the rear cap fall off. You could put the lamp under the lic lamp, I just put it up higher so the morons on the road could see it. Wish I knew how to post a picture of the finished lamp.:confused: Bob :D :D

jbeletti

Where's your picture of this mod Bob. You can't whip us into this sort of frenzy without delivering the goods :D

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Bob said "For you Ford and Dodge folks a GM part will not make the rear cap fall off." I said, "It may make your Dodge or Ford perform better":D :p :) ;) ;) ;)

Bob&Patty

Ray, I promised JP to be nice, not going to knock Fords or Dodges. They are good trucks, I just prefer the "Generals" trucks. LOL to all. Jim I didnt take any pics yet. Just find a 1ton duelly, look at the lamp under the tailgate. They cost about $30, and a snap to put on, took me about 30 minutes to do. They are about the same width as the decal and just as tall. Covers the decal perfectly. Just a brain storm after a senior moment. They lite up good too. I just thought if you put it under the lic lamp they would not be as bright. I took BH to the shop today, maybe I can go take a pic and post it. I didnt think at the time it was that big of deal. I will take a pic and try to post it. Bob :D :D

jimtoo

Ray LeTourneau said:
Bob said "For you Ford and Dodge folks a GM part will not make the rear cap fall off." I said, "It may make your Dodge or Ford perform better":D :p :) ;) ;) ;)

They need a lot more, but a little light helps. Amen.None

Bob&Patty

This little lite of mine

Jimtoo, I know for a fact that I am going to change the taillamps to LEDs and I understand that you can now get the side markers with LEDs. I do wish the stop and tail lamps were on a different circuits so you could add a 3rd stop lamp. I just want to be seen from behind, (I guess I could put on about 40lbs):eek: to many nuts on the road now. Bob :D :D

jpmorgan37

Bob&Patty;

Check this out Here I believe that these have been used before. Seem's like someone posted the change using them and the price is definitely right.

John

DennisZ

Bob&patty
I installed those lights on my BH3055, they are GREAT. Much brighter than the stock lights. The whole changeout took about 10 minutes. Harbor Freight puts these lights on sale regularly for about $12.50, you can't beat that deal.

There was a guy on E-Bay selling sets of marker lights for $57.00, but I can't find the link right now. I'll look when I get back home and post the link.

Dennis

jpmorgan37

I knew that someone had done it. Ray LeTourneau made the change back in August. Here is the thread: LED Lights

John

Ray LeTourneau

I think Bob is refering to the triple clearance light that is mounted in the rear center of the 3500 GM truck. He mounted one of them on the rear cap of the 5th wheel close to the license plate. BUT the LED tail and turns are great too!

BluegrassMan

Sounds like a good idea, I miss having a 3rd brake light. I had one right about windshield height on the rear of the Sea Breeze I had, and that was a 98'. You'd think Heartland would do that for safety. IMHO!

Ray LeTourneau

nhunter, where did you purchase the lights? The link for the store locator didn't work. I like the idea of a third brake light. Possibly mounted under the big window....I suppose anything with a good number of LED's would work.

Bob&Patty

3rd stop lamp

You could us the same lamp as I used for a 3rd stop lamp. The problem is, the way the coaches are wired, you would have to run a whole new wire from the TV to do this. Maybe you can still get the kits they used back in the 80's to install 3rd stop lamps on those cars. I would be afraid that would be labor intensive. I am going to put the same lamp on my TV, because 3/4t does'nt come with them. I have thought about making it a 3rd stop lamp. By the way, I did install the top marker lamps on the cab from Northern, $70,:) took about 3 hrs, and are identical to the GM 1tn lamps. My cost from the dealer was $300.:eek: Thanks for all the info. Bob :D :D

nhunter

Ray LeTourneau said:
nhunter, where did you purchase the lights? The link for the store locator didn't work. I like the idea of a third brake light. Possibly mounted under the big window....I suppose anything with a good number of LED's would work.
Any semi shop should be able to supply you with them. I inherted mine from a friend so I don't know a price either. I know they are more expensive than the 5 led lights but they are quite a bit brighter.