Sanilun Tires on 2011 3670 Bighorn

Dave49

I have approximately 20,000 miles on these Sailun tires. I am having some arguing issues with myself on changing them out. As with a lot of the Sailun's the outside and inside groove is wore down. I have seen this on several units. But the rest of the tread is looking good yet and it tells me not to change. The tires is an LT235/85R16, which with it being said that its a LT with higher speed ratings, but then it's stamped for trailer use only. Not that I want to travel over 65 because I don't but like most everyone else I travel at about 62 which means I am close to max speed. I don't want to skimp when it comes to the trailer, but I also don't want to waste the remainder of this tire life. Just come to my attention, with this being a 2011 these tires are at least 3 yrs old and probably older. Hmmmm another thought! Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have not read any bad reports about the Sailun tires. They appear to be pretty decent.
There is a DOT date code molded into the sidewall, so you should be able to tell the exact age.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

wdk450

Dave:
Seeing you are from South Dakota, and noting the season of the year, I would suspect your trailer will be stored for the upcoming months, and maybe you can let the old tires age a few more months (rather than newly purchased tires sitting and aging) before making the replacement decision. If you are a "snowbird", then this is a "soon" decision.

Steadfast

We also have a 2011 3670 with the sailun tires. And yes, we have more ware on the inside and outside edge than the rest of the tire. We have a few less miles that you do, but good about continuing to run these tires for now. To be safe, we run our TPMS and inspect them regularly.
Although I run 65 mph normally, it is my understanding that with this tire being a G rated LT tire, the max speed limit is 75.

Dave49

I am a fulltimer and travel and will not be storing. At least that the plans now after 3 1/2 yrs and still have no intention of staying put for awhile. I think I will just keep an eye on them as the tread depth still show plenty of tire left. It's just them two treads on all 4 tires that are in question. I have asked why this is and no one seems to be able to answer that question. I do know quite a bit about tires but this one has me stumped. Dave

Dave49

Also I purged a lot of un-needed stuff that I hadn't used in a long time. First time in 3 yrs that I actually have a lot of room left. I haven't re-weighed it as of yet. Probably hit a scale at the Flying J on the way south.

danemayer

Dan, I run 110 lbs cold. The unit weighs in at 17,135 lbs.
Dave,

Tire wear pattern examples show that wear on both sides is usually from under-inflation, which is why I was asking. At 17,135, you're over the GVWR for the trailer by about 1000 lbs. At that weight, your tires might be over-loaded by 5-10%, depending on actual pin weight, which I think would be equivalent to under-inflating by 5-10%. I don't know if that would be enough to account for the wear.

You probably ought to lighten up. Get rid of the rock collection.:rolleyes:

Dave49

Dan? I was under the impression that GVWR on the 3610 was 17,000 lbs. Guess it's time to look a little closer. If that's the case I better start purging even more because there is no way I took out over a thousand lbs. In fact if I take a 1000 lbs out of the unit I wouldn't in fact be able to put anything in it. So maybe I should start thinking a little differently on the new unit.

danemayer

Dave,

The Heartlandrvs.com website shows GVWR on the 3670RL as 15,500 lbs. You can also find this number on the plaque at the front corner of the trailer on the off-door-side. A similar floorplan on a Landmark would have a GVWR of 16,000 - 16,200. The main difference is probably the tires and wheels.

If you have 7,000 lb axles (and you probably do), now that you have LR G tires (and hopefully 110psi wheels), you MIGHT be able to go a little higher than your GVWR without issues. But 17,135 is pretty heavy.

A related issue is the pinbox weight on your hitch and rear axle. You're probably way over the payload spec on the truck. While your airbags are leveling things for you, you may be causing excess wear on the truck components. Also an unbalanced truck could have handling issues in bad weather or in an emergency situation.

If you're carrying a lot of water, that might be a place to reduce weight. A full fresh tank at 73 gallons will weigh close to 600 lbs.

Dave49

Dan I went to the web site and see that the Bighorn is now 15,500. My tag says 16,000 so it appears that they have reduced carrying capacity or added weight to the unit. So I went to my paperwork and I was wrong when I said 17,135. I am actually 16,135 as my weigh slip says. Just one of those sr. moments I guess lol. With that weight I am still marginal on my truck. But then again unless I buy a $65,000 truck or buy and HDT I will always be marginal. I have a done a lot to this truck to make it work the way it does. It's handled emergency situations very well, it's new exhaust brake takes care of the stops and I have way more power than what I need. I have reduced everything I don't need and keep that in mind always. I feel comfortable with what I have.