Champion Generator question?

wrgrs50s

I purchased a new Champion 4000 watt generator a few months ago and tested it out after about 30 minutes of run time and it ran my 15k air with no apparent problems. I'm planning on going to the Nascar race at the Texas Motor Speedway at the end of the month so I got my Genny out for another test, and hooked it up, ran it about 30 minutes and kicked on the air and it seemed to be ok. Then, I noticed my voltage indicator needle inside the trailer was varying back and forth between 115v to 125v . Listening to the compressor motor it sounded like it was humming in the same rythm of the needle movement. Is this normal, or do I have a voltage regulator problem on the Generator? Secondly, will it hurt my AC for the voltage to vary back and forth like that? Without the air on I tried the Microwave and the voltage went to a steady 130v. Any input will be appreciated. I know to contact Champion but thought I would throw it by you guys first.:confused:

eddylives

Change the voltage regulator in the champion it sounds like its failing(warranty if possible).....our friends cooked the electrical system in their trailer when the regulator failed and hit the trailer with 200 plus volts(3K, 4K peak unit)....thank god for extended warrantys and the right dealers , everything had to be replaced.........other than that I really like the champs , we run two of them , a 1000W for regular house power and a 3000W (4000 peak) for the heavy loads like A/C or microwave while dry camping.....they are not Hondas or yamahas but they are not the price either lol.

RuralPastor

The voltage range is not outside normal limits, however, the fluctuation within the range is hard on inductive loads (motors, compressors, etc.). Your voltage regulator is suspect. Call Champion. Their customer service is very good, IMO.

caissiel

I had to adjust the governer on my small 1600 Gen that is similar unit. It was fluctuating and after it ran steady at 125v.
The rpm determines the voltage and if it fluctuates the voltage follows. No voltage control on mine. Good spark plug and clean gas is also very important on these generators.
Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

Bobby A

I have the same Gen, I keep it on hand just in case of a power outage, its a good machine for the price, but I just use it for emergency purposes only.

wrgrs50s

Thanks for the input from each of you that responded. I have learned a lot from this forum and appreciate the quick response from those trying to help out another Rvr when needed. I contacted Champion Tech line and the gentlemen I spoke with said that the needle varying within the 118 to 125 volt range is considered normal and will not damage my ac unit. He also stated that there is a screw adjustment at the voltage regulator to vary the voltage if need be in the event of a constant voltage out of range. Although when using my microwave the indicator showed 130 volts, he still felt that was not enough to be concerned with.
I also talked with a Tech from Prevost, which happens to be my son-n-law last night and he confirmed that the slight variation of the needle is not of concern and he used a term called a " voltage regulator hunting " meaning as it sounds, searching a constant with a load. If in fact I burn my AC unit up during my 5 day dry camp at the Nascar Race, you can bet I'll be back here to let everyone know. Happy camping to all !!!