RV vs Truck GPS user updates?

fcwatson

et al:

Pulling the BigHorn 3875FB (41ft).

After reading reviews on numerous GPS models to the point of blurred eye sight, I see the perfect GPS has not been developed ...yet. Reviews are all across the spectrum.

Two fears, low bridge and getting into situation where I have to back up.

I'm leaning towards the Rand McNally RVND 7720.

Any recommendations, experience on this or another good GPS system?

Thanx in advance
- Fred

danemayer

Hi Fred,

I've been using the Garmin Dezl 560LMT for a couple of years and am happy with it. I have the profile set for 13'3" vs measured height of 13'1". It routes me around low clearances and has a number of other nice features.

I don't care for the built in POIs all that much and have added some using the Garmin tools on the PC.

When planning trips, I plug the Garmin into the computer, locate each destination on Mapquest or Google Maps and send the location to the Garmin where it shows up in the Favorites list. Each day when starting out, I select the next destination from the Favorites list.

On Interstates, there's a nice feature called EXIT SERVICES that shows fuel, food and other things at each upcoming exit.

On our last trip, I compared it to the IPAD App GPS CoPilot ($15.00) for U.S. The CoPilot has a beautiful large screen with much nicer navigation details, especially when approaching turns and exits. It's a bit more aggressive on shorter distance routing than the Garmin. One weakness is the max height that can currently be set in the profile is 13'0". I've asked them to raise the limit and have asked if the app will route me around low clearances, or just provide some kind of warning before I take off the A/C unit. The support people didn't know the answer but promised to find out. If you happen to have an IPAD, for $15.00 this is a good deal.

fcwatson

Dan, Thank you for your reply.

I don't have an IPAD (Samsung NOTE 10) I found CoPilot is available for the Android in both the Truck and Premium product. Recommendations?

Your viewing the IPAD before the trip?, not on the trip (out of cell zone range?).

- Fred

danemayer

I have the IPAD on the dashboard in a holder that's suction cupped to the windshield. It's plugged in because the app keeps the screen on continuously, draining the battery. I don't have the cell service enabled on IPAD but rather tether it to my Android phone, which sits in a Wilson amplifier that helps bring in remote data signals. I'm pretty sure the app doesn't require a data connection to use maps and the GPS. It does need it to search the internet for POIs.

The IPAD truck version is $149, so I stayed with the Premium U.S. version at $14.95. I think you can try it out for free and then upgrade from within the app.

SilverRhino

I have been using a Garmin 755 and have not had any major issues. That being said I am hoping that Santa brings a Garmin RV760 to drop under my tree. Whatever GPS you go with there are a couple of good web sites where you can download some very helpful info. poi-factory.com and LowClearances.com both very good. The points of interest file on poi-factory are free and user maintained. Low Clearance offers a great lifetime download feature of bridges etc. across the country. I have used both and highly recommend them.

MTPockets

We've used the rvnd7710 for two years and like it's functions. We purchased ours with lifetime updates, but can't get them. Talked to Rand and was told I had buy it, although It came with my unit. Also, unit battery went dead after about a year but works when plugged in. I also had one instance where Unit said I had bridge clearance. Bridge was 13'6" in the middle but 10' high on sides. Was not wide enough to pass thru as it was very narrow. We were able to bypass and got lucky. I still use it with care, but don't find tech very reliable.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Initially, I liked our RVND5510 (the first RV gps from Rand McNally), but it has led us astray and made us miss exits before. Especially if there needs to be multiple lane changes or roads split, like in major cities. It's like she can't give instructions fast enough, with lead time for us to make decisions.

Ive also wondered about the route selection. In Indiana, we were headed toward one route, but somewhere along the way, she changed her mind and she directed us another way.... Which ended up seemingly much longer. This has happened a few times, including on routes we know and we are surprised by the new choice.

One good thing, we've never encountered a low bridge or route that we could not "fit".

We are considering the Garmin 769LMT. Maybe Santa can drop one off at our house too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

dave10a

What ever GPS one gets I would highly recommend that its software has the ability to import/export POI's in generic as well mfg proprietary formats. The POI's are freely available on the Inet. I know most Garmin units will do this and would guess others do as well so be ware. I also use Ford sync when I don't have my GPS unit available. Ford sync works very well at directions, finding business and camp grounds, but it does not know about legal roads for big rigs, low bridges, fuel stops and other truck/trailer related issues.

wdk450

We've used the rvnd7710 for two years and like it's functions. We purchased ours with lifetime updates, but can't get them. Talked to Rand and was told I had buy it, although It came with my unit. Also, unit battery went dead after about a year but works when plugged in. I also had one instance where Unit said I had bridge clearance. Bridge was 13'6" in the middle but 10' high on sides. Was not wide enough to pass thru as it was very narrow. We were able to bypass and got lucky. I still use it with care, but don't find tech very reliable.

A lot of times you can find these special GPS batteries on E-Bay for a reasonable price. Changing them usually takes some dexterity with eyeglass-sized screwdrivers. Hint: On mine the external screws were hidden under the serial number label.

I just did a map update on my low-end Garmin, and I guess they have really increased the amounts of data. My Nuvi did not have enough memory for the entire U.S. any more, so I just loaded the "Western States" (that went as far East as the Great Lakes). I got a message telling me I needed to buy a 4 GB microSD memory card to get all the U.S. in. Walmart has these cards for about $7. I guess I'll buy one and do a reload. Good thing I have fiber internet - it still took about 30 minutes for the "West" download.

I also bought and loaded in the bridges under 14 foot from Low Clearances.com; along with 14027 U.S. campgrounds from the POI factory; and a list of all Walmarts noted if they do or don't allow overnight parking, from the WalmartRVing Yahoo Group.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
On our last trip, I compared it to the IPAD App GPS CoPilot ($15.00) for U.S. The CoPilot has a beautiful large screen with much nicer navigation details, especially when approaching turns and exits.

Based on this I downloaded the free version last night. Looks to be a good interface, Didn't use it yet, but it appears to be a bit more friendly then Motion X's GPS Drive app.

I like that you can "drag" the route and or add stops. That is a feature seriously lacking on most Apps.

I don't have the cell service enabled on IPAD but rather tether it to my Android phone, which sits in a Wilson amplifier that helps bring in remote data signals. I'm pretty sure the app doesn't require a data connection to use maps and the GPS. It does need it to search the internet for POIs.

Dan, not having tried this yet I'm not sure. But, this app allows downloading the maps, which I did, all 1.3 GB of North America. I am really hoping this allows the IOS to actually work like a GPS with it's built in GPS engine, and not require a cell connection.

so I stayed with the Premium U.S. version at $14.95. I think you can try it out for free and then upgrade from within the app.

Waiting for a tech reply. I downloaded the free version. The upgrade through the app is $8.99 and through the store is $14.99. I am waiting to hear if they are indeed the same upgrades or if the $15 version has additional features.

I also use Ford sync when I don't have my GPS unit available. Ford sync works very well at directions, finding business and camp grounds, but it does not know about legal roads for big rigs, low bridges, fuel stops and other truck/trailer related issues.

I have found over the last two+ years that the nav in my truck seems to be "truck" orientated. This is compared to Deb's MKX nav and my trusty standalone Garmin 478

I just did a map update on my low-end Garmin, and I guess they have really increased the amounts of data. My Nuvi did not have enough memory for the entire U.S. any more, so I just loaded the "Western States" (that went as far East as the Great Lakes). I got a message telling me I needed to buy a 4 GB microSD memory card to get all the U.S. in.

Same issue with my last two updates with my "high-end" Garmin 478. The software has become so bloated I went from having all or North America to just the eastern half. And memory cards don't work with my unit for map storage.

I also bought and loaded in the bridges under 14 foot from Low Clearances.com; along with 14027 U.S. campgrounds from the POI factory; and a list of all Walmarts noted if they do or don't allow overnight parking, from the WalmartRVing Yahoo Group.

Allstays "Camp & RV" app is a really good app, especially when used on an iPad or similar tablet. Great filtering (bridges, fuel, stores, camps etc) and just about everything we need for RV'ing, including all the Walmarts ( and which ones allow overnights).

porthole

Retired
Dan, not having tried this yet I'm not sure. But, this app allows downloading the maps, which I did, all 1.3 GB of North America. I am really hoping this allows the IOS to actually work like a GPS with it's built in GPS engine, and not require a cell connection.

Tried it on the bike tonight. No cell or wifi connection to use as a standalone GPS - navigator.

Waiting for a tech reply. I downloaded the free version. The upgrade through the app is $8.99 and through the store is $14.99. I am waiting to hear if they are indeed the same upgrades or if the $15 version has additional features.

2 days later and still waiting to hear from the developer on the upgrade path.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I just purchased the RV760. So far I really like it. It has some great features and some of them really surprised me.

I started a thread on it and plan to update it as I learn more about the RV760. I still have my 465t which looks like it will be on the shelf for a backup in the future.

One thing about the RV760. It does have 7.2 Gig of memory but it uses a lot of it as you can see in the screen shot below. It does not have an SD Memory Slot.

RV760 memory.jpg

BC

wdk450

I just did a map update on my low-end Garmin, and I guess they have really increased the amounts of data. My Nuvi did not have enough memory for the entire U.S. any more, so I just loaded the "Western States" (that went as far East as the Great Lakes). I got a message telling me I needed to buy a 4 GB microSD memory card to get all the U.S. in. Walmart has these cards for about $7. I guess I'll buy one and do a reload. Good thing I have fiber internet - it still took about 30 minutes for the "West" download.

Update: I couldn't find a micro SD card of "just" 4GB (remember how BIG 1 GB used to seem to be) - Tried Walmart, Staples and finally Best Buy. Best Buy had an 8 GB ($12) as their smallest, and promised to let me return it if the Garmin Nuvi 255 (about $110 retail) wouldn't accept it. First try the card didn't click in place in the slot, I pushed it in too far, and had to disassemble the GPS to retrieve the card. BTW, the tiny case screws are socket head, but the right size flatblade tiny screwdriver will turn them.

Got the memory card in correctly, re-assembled the GPS, connected to the laptop and proceeded to download the North America files in place of the "Western States" I had previously loaded. The Western States file had a displayed load time of about 30 minutes; the North American file had a displayed time of 2 hours. I think it just took over an hour.

I then cleared the POI memories, and reloaded the Low Bridges, WalMarts ONP/No ONP file from the Walmart RVing Yahoo group, a newer version of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives (Guy Fieri Food Network TV show) restaurant locations, and the 14027 Combined U.S. Campgrounds listings, the last 2 from the POI factory. The new version of the DDD POI file has details on the TV show episode and featured dishes when you press the GPS "More" key on any restaurant location entry. The Walmarts each come up with an "ONP" (Overnight Parking) or "NO ONP" notation next to their listing on the screen.

Pretty neat. I think my old, cheap, Garmin Nuvi 255 is right up there with the new, expensive ones with these free POI upgrades.

I'm starting the drive down to Temecula this morning, breaking it up for a 1/2 way overnight in Tulare (south of Fresno on 99). We'll see how the GPS works.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have the Rand McNally RVND 5510.

I use it every day . . . matter of fact, I use it as a speedometer instead of the one in my car or truck!

I bought another power cord and windshield mount so I don't have to move everything when I need to switch it between vehicles.

However, I also bought two of those round dash pad mount thingys and the anti glare visor . . . don't waste your money on these things!

The visor doesn't really block any light from the screen, and since most dashboards aren't perfectly flat, the round dash pads don't stay stuck down to the dash, plus the suction cup on the window mounts won't stay stuck to them since they are slightly curved when mounted on the curved dashboard.

Anyway, I have POI's for Walmart, Target, Camping World, RV dealerships and repair facilities, Discount and Big O Tire shops, Costco, Wendy's, McDonald's, Burger King, Cracker Barrel, Red Lobster, Subway, Carl's Jr, King Sooper's, Safeway, Rite Aid, Walgreen's, RV parks, private, state and national campgrounds . . . and much more!

And it has many built-in POI's already for just about every kind of retailer you'd ever want to find (of course, the liquor stores are the most important of them all :p )!

It has steared me wrong a couple of times . . . like when I wound up in the parking lot of Cabbella's national headquarters in Sydney, Nebraska instead of the entrance ramp to the highway, or the wrong side of Eleven Mile Lake from the campground (although I was in the State Park, however).

I've never owned another GPS before, however I did use a Tom Tom last year in Florida and that one at least told you what lane you should be in to make the turn ahead, where the Rand McNally doesn't do this (unless I just haven't figured out how to make it tell me that info).

I don't know if the other brands are better than the Rand McNally GPS units . . . but I'm sure glad I have it over not having one!

MTPockets

I have the RVND7710. The unit is 1 1/2 yrs old and the battery is stone dead. Unit works on 12v plug, but won't even blink when not plugged in. I just got off the phone with tech who tells me to replace the battery, it will cost $99 and must be returned to Rand. Also, they replaced my first one as it was defective. The 7710 has been plagued with problems - I don't have confidence in the Rand quality.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
It does not have an SD Memory Slot. BC

Update... I did find a memory slot on my RV760. It is called a memory stick and it is a small slot on the bottom of the GPS.

I have been using my RV760 a lot and I am really happy with it. Only problem I find with it so far is some of the places on it are not there or it takes me to the wrong place. I wanted to go to a store so I did a search and it took me to a cul-de-sac in a residential area. No store. Drove 8mi to get there. Not good. The icons that are available in the RV760 are terrible. They are green and there are only a couple dozen. None that I would like to use for my POI's. No symbol for RV's just tents and the same for others.

This is the best GPS I have had. I strongly recommend it for anyone. Wish it did have a few things like showing low underpasses. I haven't found this on the 760 yet.

BC

whp4262

I think the problem with the GPS taking you to something that is not there or to the wrong place is a problem shared by all of them. I have a Garmin Nuvi that I've had for a couple years and it does the same thing sometimes. For example there is a hotel I stay at in New Jersey and the GPS always tells me it is on the right when its actually on the left. When I go south on TX 199 from my house it tells me to exit onto the frontage road to get to 199 even though I'm already on 199. The good thing is its a rare occurance and it always finds its way back to where I need to be if I do take off on some boondoggle. Even though I never get lost I do sometimes get momentarily displaced and its at these times my wife is quick to point out that if I would listen to her instead of my magenta girlfriend we would probably be there already.

danemayer

When the GPS takes you to the wrong location, it's generally a problem with the map data. Many of the GPS's use the same provider for map data, so the problems can run across different vendors.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Update... I did find a memory slot on my RV760. It is called a memory stick and it is a small slot on the bottom of the GPS.
BC

Check to see if it indeed does take a memory stick as the term "Memory Stick" could mean that it is a proprietary memory card made by Sony.

However, Memory Sticks are no longer used in Sony products as the only option as Sony has switched to standard 'SD' memory cards for all of their current devices that use memory cards.

And Sony Memory Stick cards are getting hard to find anywhere.