oven pilot mod for lighting

eddylives

I have always hated the chore of lighting the oven pilot as the wife is afraid of propane lol.....I picked up a piece of polished stainless steel and placed it on the bottom of the oven and use it as a mirror to see the lighting procedure......it works great , no more hands and knees to get down and see things....an easy fix that can be picked up at many sheet metal shops out of their drops......just throwing that out there for others to consider in place of the BBQ striker modification

RuralPastor

Good idea. Thanks for sharing. I always thought of doing the BBQ mod but never got around to it. Why? Because my wife always lights the oven!

marvmarcy

I installed an electronic igniter in the oven and placed tile above the burner to even out the heat. I also replaced the noisy and awkward stove top piezzo with an electronic igniter. DW is much happier with the mods.

RuralPastor

I installed an electronic igniter in the oven and placed tile above the burner to even out the heat. I also replaced the noisy and awkward stove top piezzo with an electronic igniter. DW is much happier with the mods.
Marv, do you remember which brand of piezo you used?

marvmarcy

I didn't use a piezo but a battery powered push button electronic igniter. Sorry, I don't remember brand names, but had to use parts from two different kits to make the spark element for the oven. I had to carefully bend a long element to place the spark in the pilot flame. I used the original spark element for the stove top but replaced the piezo with the same electronic push button as I used for the oven. I used a step bit to enlarge the hole in the control panel for the stove button assy and drilled a separate hole by the oven knob for its button. I think I found all the parts at Lowes/Home Depot for around $30.