anyone have to have a shade restrung?

To say the least I am a little disappointed. I have had one of my shades give out after less than 2 years. Anyone had experience restringing one of these or are you better off just replacing it?

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
I did the large one on my rear window. I took it off the wall, laid it on the bed and figured out the pattern of the cord. Bought replacement cord at local store that sold blinds, ect. I found a metal ring that had a burr on it that caused the cord to wear. If you search on the Forum you may find info on doing this, I have seen it before.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think the schematics for the strings are in the TOOLS section. Actually fairly simple. I had to retie one of my smaller ones after the string broke near the header.

supernan1414

We did 2 off them last weekend, a little one and the big rear window. There are several treads if you do a search, I read them all, printed diagrams and did a computer search and there was a demo to watch. The restringing wasn't bad as I had a diagram to follow. I messed up and didn't cut my cord long enough and had to tie extensions on. Still don't understand how that happened as I had measured. I bought 100 lb test bow fishing line. They are back up, work and look good. I will do the others if I need to.

marvmarcy

In less than two years, I've restrung 7 of my 11 day/night shades, some more than once. They aren't difficult to restring, but it takes about an hour for the large four-string shades, counting time to remove and replace (if you are experienced).

Hints:
Moving both sections of a shade at the same time and moving the shade fast increase wear. When buying new string, look for smoothe string vs coarsely braided string because the latter wears faster. Make sure the strings are only tight enough to hold the shade up, as more tension increases wear.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dave, you have a couple of options.
You can send your blind to the manufacturerfor re-stringing.
Find a dealer that knows how to do it. A guy here at the Iowa Rallyjust had one done for $17.
Or you can wait till tomorrow and I will email the re-stringing instructions to you.
I will also be sure to get the instructions posted in the tools section.

Peace
Dave

Bobby A

If my memory serves me correctly I think you can call the manufacture of the blinds and if you send it to them they will do it for free, I think !!

jimtoo

HI tjmanley,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum.

This link should help with the restringing of the shade. See post #4.

Jim M

pegmikef

If you do restring them think about using 80# test fish line instead of that string that frays, sun rots, and eventually breaks. The string is easy to thread and you only have to do it once.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Captdave363, since Dan put the instructions in 'Tools', I will not need to send the email.
Thanks Dan.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

I had my 1st large rear shade work 4 years until the string broke this summer. As a result of my being at the Goshen national rally, HEARTLAND supplied me with a new entire blind that I installed in August. It had a string come off the end retainer (not broken) quite quickly. I found this site: http://www.fixmyblinds.com/RV-Day-Night-Shade-s/134.htm which has a link to help guides on the lower left of the page. There I found a restringing chart. I believe there are also links to You Tube videos there, too. I had bought some stiff steel utility wire (10 guage?) at Home Depot for another project, and that worked well (with a tight hook fashioned at one end) for the preliminary restringing on the wall until I couldn't figure out were the string went next (I didn't have the chart yet).

This is on my "To Do" list.

supernan1414

When we brought the big shade from the back window in the house and got the top rail off off it I could see where it had broke. It was between the top and the left side hole. I think I could have spliced or tied a piece of fish line between the two pieces of string and saved having to restring it. I have a few yards left, I am going to keep that in the RV for future breaks.