ATF: Edge - Traded 2010 M18 for 2011 M21

MarionSSS

I just traded my 2010 M18 (that I bought new the Fall of 2009) for a used M21 (the model I should have bought although this is a 2011). I love the floor plan on the M21 and for the life of me I can't figure out why I picked the M18. I also really appreciate many of the updated features on the newer model but have a couple of nitpicks.

1. The waste water drains are labeled "Gray Water #1" and "Gray Water #2"? What? Which one is the black water? I'm sure I can figure it out but it will be a little messy now since we camped in it this weekend. Any chance I can get the correct stickers? Black and gray?

2. We love the increased storage in the M21. Not only are there drawers in the kitchen, there are also drawers in the bathroom. However, it looks like the long drawers should have been used but there all short ones. When I first opened the door I didn't see any drawers. Any chance I could get some long trays? Or at least point me in the right direction to find some?

Thanks.

Chumbly

I believe the "Gray" water valve is the front one..."black" water is the back one. (at least on the 2009) The grey water tank is in front of the black water. Behind some of the drawers maybe be wiring, plumbing, etc... might want to check that out. We've made a few changes on ours to "make it our own", so you might want to do that as well. Oh, and good luck with your purchase.

MarionSSS

Thanks. I did figure out which was which when we dumped the tanks today and you are correct - it was the same with our M18. I'd still like to have the correct stickers - it just looks more professional plus I don't have to answer stupid questions when folks come to admire the unit - "Why do you have two gray water tanks? or Where's your black water release?" I'd be interested in seeing your list of changes to "make it your own."

MarionSSS

We discovered camping this weekend that one of the front stabilizer jacks is bent. The previous owner obviously tried to lift the trailer with it and bent it in the process. Where can I get a replacement for it? I do have to say that this is one area that the my 2010 M18 has the 2011 M21 beat. The stabilizers on the M18 seemed beefier. The step also doesn't seem as stout on the M18 - a lot of flex

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We discovered camping this weekend that one of the front stabilizer jacks is bent. The previous owner obviously tried to lift the trailer with it and bent it in the process. Where can I get a replacement for it? I do have to say that this is one area that the my 2010 M18 has the 2011 M21 beat. The stabilizers on the M18 seemed beefier. The step also doesn't seem as stout on the M18 - a lot of flex

Contact Hearland Customer Service and have the last 6 of your VIN ready. Mention you are a member of the Heartland Owners Club for a 10percent discount on parts.

evolvingpowercat

The front stabilizer jacks are pretty easy to remove from the Edge. I had my front drivers side one get bent due to overload (my fault the tongue dropped off a block) and it was repairable once I had it off. Its all just stamped metal parts so its pretty wackable to straighten it with a big hammer if you have a big vise. I had to replace a bent bolt too to get it back up to snuff.

So, you may want to give that a shot before you order a replacement.

Chumbly

Thanks. I did figure out which was which when we dumped the tanks today and you are correct - it was the same with our M18. I'd still like to have the correct stickers - it just looks more professional plus I don't have to answer stupid questions when folks come to admire the unit - "Why do you have two gray water tanks? or Where's your black water release?" I'd be interested in seeing your list of changes to "make it your own."
First thing I wanted to change was the sofa...so I ripped that out and put in two recliner style seats, (we usually only camp with the "Little Lady" and myself), I built a couple of drawers for beside the bed, installed a Solar Panel setup, (for lack of a better term), electric jack, (for the hitch), ...and the list continues.

MarionSSS

Have you posted a list me your changes elsewhere? I'm really interested in your solar panel addition for instance.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Chumbly

Have you posted a list me your changes elsewhere? I'm really interested in your solar panel addition for instance.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
No, I haven't posted anything yet. My system consists basically of a two part setup. I use/bought two, 100watt, 12 volt (this is important), mono-crystalline, solar panels produced by Grape (the cheapest I could find).... I wired them (you have to use proper cables and connectors), to control panels, (25 amp). From the control panels, I've wired one of the solar panels, to an AGM battery, ("AGM", because of the low maintenance and almost non-gassing nature of this battery), that I've placed in a compartment I've built just above the water pump under the bed and then ran wires from the battery to a cigarette lighter style socket that I mounted on the side of the bed. I use this setup to power my CPAP machine. The second solar panel, I wired to a second control panel (again 25 amp) and then back to the 12 volt RV battery at the front of the trailer... I plan to modify the battery setup in the front to allow me space for at least one, perhaps two more 12 volt RV batteries on the hitch. I used/modified two steps (the kind you buy in a hardware store), to mount the solar panels to. This way they are free standing and I'm able to change their position to best catch the sun. It also allows me to park the trailer under a shady tree and still power up the batteries. The end cost for me (with taxes and shipping), was about around $1000 Cdn., but worth it to us because it allows us to camp off of the grid, and at the cheaper sites in the campgrounds, and not be worried about not having power hookups... also because of the CPAP, having power is a must, but not always available at some camp grounds, and we didn't like the idea of running a generator to charge up the batteries...tried it, but didn't like it because of the obtrusiveness of running one,.. both for us, and our neighbors. If you're really interested, I could try to take a post some pictures of my setup.

MarionSSS

I'd love to see pics of your setup. Rather than hijack the ATF forum, why don't you post them in the Modifications forum?

MarionSSS

Found a hole in the floor that wasn't properly sealed. Looks like the hole for the water line from the freshwater tank to the water pump. The hole is big enough to stick almost a couple fingers through it. Fortunately it doesn't appear to have caused much damage - I don't think the previous owners had it out on the road much. Anyway, where do I find the same black rubber expanding foam sealant that was originally used to plug holes?

evolvingpowercat

Don't use the same black junk that Heartland uses at the factory that dries hard and brittle and does not stick well !
I used some spray foam (tan not black) from Home Depot to get the big hole by the water pump closed up and just latex caulk to fill the various smaller holes that the black foam did not properly seal where the gas pipe. low point drain pipes, etc. come thru the floor. I did this to mouse proof my Edge as it only takes a hole the size of a dime to provide a mouse entry point.

MarionSSS

I get some of the standard expanding foam insulation then. Any compatibility issues with "black junk" that's already there?

Rgill

I have replaced the rear stabelizers with 6500LB scissor jacks and am in the process of replacing the front ones.