Installing items on walls - towel bars. TV mounts, etc.

MarionSSS

I'm wanting to install a towel bar and a coat hook to the inside of the exterior walls of my M21. Any reason I should not do this? I would also like to install a TV mount on the interior wall above the entertainment unit. The shower is on the other side of the wall and the wall seems rather flimsy. Can the wall handle the stress of say a 32" TV and mount hanging there? What's best way to install the mount?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

RuralPastor

The towel bar and coat hook are no problem, but the weight of a 32" TV hanging on a flimsy wall while bouncing down the highway spells disaster to me. I suppose one could use a backer plate of some type, but that still doesn't strengthen the wall. Other choices?

JanAndBill

Mount the towel bar and coat hook/s to a backer board then fasten the backer board to the studs (such as they are) in the wall. Unless there was reinforcement installed in the wall during the build you are pretty much out of luck on hanging anything heavy on the wall.

Chumbly

I wonder what the studs are made of. In the front, under the bed, the framework is all aluminum...if the walls were the same, attaching to a stud there would/should be no problem.

alex00

That's what we ended up doing to hang our hand and dish towels. We got the over the cabinet door hooks and put them all over the place. The other thing we used are the command strips. Those double sided tape hooks that stick like they are part of the wall until you pull a tab. They even make a towel bar, but I'm not sure it's big enough for a bath towel.

On our SOB trailer I wanted to mount a TV on a swing arm, but there were no mounting options in the wall. I ended up getting a nice oak board that accidentally exactly matched the cabinets (wish I could say I planned it). I mounted the board to the counter and upper cabinet and mounted the swing arm to the board. It blended well and didn't put any stress on the wall.

MarionSSS

That's what we ended up doing to hang our hand and dish towels. We got the over the cabinet door hooks and put them all over the place. The other thing we used are the command strips. Those double sided tape hooks that stick like they are part of the wall until you pull a tab. They even make a towel bar, but I'm not sure it's big enough for a bath towel.

On our SOB trailer I wanted to mount a TV on a swing arm, but there were no mounting options in the wall. I ended up getting a nice oak board that accidentally exactly matched the cabinets (wish I could say I planned it). I mounted the board to the counter and upper cabinet and mounted the swing arm to the board. It blended well and didn't put any stress on the wall.
I was thinking of doing the same thing for the TV mount. Then again, as little as we watch TV while camping, I may just leave the TV on its stand on the counter. I saw the command stuff at my local Menard's. Was tempted but decided to wait for now.

alex00

If you go with the command stuff follow the directions to clean the surface to a tee. I've lost some hooks that I didn't clean the surface with alcohol. I haven't lost any that I cleaned properly.

I know what you mean about the TV. My son watches movies but that's about all we use it for. The reason I added the mount was because I replaced the old non HD square TV with a newer lcd. The new TV wouldn't fit on the oem mount.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4