Any body use a semi tractor to pull a 5th wheel

INDave

How about some spec. What was your fuel mileage, license plate needed,how do you get around at the camp ground to sight see,does it work good,exc,exc.....Dave

crazybanshee

I have had our HDT for twelve years and would never go back to pulling a 18k trailer with a pickup. Ours is titled as an Motor Coach. Plates and ins is very reasonable. The HDT is only two feet longer than my F350 crew cab.

marvmarcy

We've had our Volvo for 6+ years. It gets an average of 9.6mpg towing, but I have no idea of mpg bobtail, as we seldom run bobtail. It is licensed as a coach/motorhome in MT with permanent tags, and no special driver's license is required. We only stay four places, so have a 6yo minivan for CO & MT and an old car in NC. We ride bicycles everywhere, but especially in Key West. Many hdters carry a small car or motorcycle(s) on the truck for sight-seeing/errands, but our lifestyle doesn't require that. If you roam the country, you may find an hdt less than optimal.

However, an hdt will handle any fifth wheel far safer than any other tow vehicle. We've had two incidents that could have been far worse had we not been in an hdt. The first incident two years ago was being rear-ended on I-70 west of St Louis by a big bus. Had we been in a pickup with a typical rv hitch, the 20,000# fifth wheel would probably have come though the cab. The second incident last week was hitting a big deer with the truck. The truck's mass threw the deer clear; therefore not damaging the fifth wheel, and only damaged the bumper and hood, with no other damage. I drove on with no problems. When maneuvering in cgs, the hdt will turn sharper than any pickup, and hitch placement well behind the rear wheels makes the fiver track much better. I can climb hills and stop better than any pickup, and the Jake brake makes long downhills safe and comfortable.

Again, an hdt is certainly not for most people, but those of us who have them, love them.

Tom-Kathi

Marv, did you have any problems insuring the Volvo since you didn't have a CDL? I find it interesting that your car insurance company would insure you driving something that size without a CDL. Thanks.

dave10a

Marv, did you have any problems insuring the Volvo since you didn't have a CDL? I find it interesting that your car insurance company would insure you driving something that size without a CDL. Thanks.
The operative word is Commercial in CDL. RV do not require a CDL, but some states require a non-comercial class A while others only require a standard class D license. All states and Canada have reciprocal laws that honor each others laws. So if you are legal in a state insurance companies are happy.

marvmarcy

As already said, I'm legal in my home state, therefore legal in all states. We are fulltimers insured with Allied Nationwide (part of Nationwide Insurance Group). They just promptly handled our claim after hitting a deer, and we have only praise for them. We pay about $1,000 for extensive coverage on both the truck and fiver. Our other vehicles are insured through USAA, who will not insure the truck and trailer, but not because of any legal issues.

I've studied numerous CDL online courses, including air brakes, and can pass a CDL written test. I don't need the CDL, but feel it is prudent to know the CDL material. I see no significant difference driving my coach vs the previous dpmhs I owned over many years, but I know more now than when I was driving the mhs.

SilverRhino

My dream tow vehicle is a Peterbilt with a hydraulic loading ramp for a Smart Car.......Best of all worlds!

What I need help with is a good, no great sales pitch to use on my dear wife! :rolleyes:

marvmarcy

If you are interested in a class 7 or 8 truck for fiver towing, I suggest you look at the Escapees HDT forum at

rvnetwork.com/index.php?showforum=32

These folks are experienced hdt owners that have been using their hdts recreationally for many years. There are quite a few women drivers on the forum that can address a woman's perspective of hdt pros and cons. The women's group is called RDBE (rigs driven by estrogen).

Wharton

I second Marv and Connie's comment. We drive an MDT, the Escapees also have a forum for those. Both hold rallies. We have had ours for 13 years, love it!!! Just getting broken in at around 200K miles.