Just Got My RV760...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
The other day I got my RV760 from Garmin. Haven't had a chance to take a long trip with it yet. We are in Amarillo TX until next Monday. Heading toward Ok City. I plan to post on this thread the things I find about this GPS.

So far I think it is real cool... (an old term from my childhood). I haven't used a number of the things it can do yet but I will comment on those that I do use.

There is a lot of difference between my old 465t. BTW if you have an old GPS Garmin will give you a discount if you return the old one. I am getting $110 back on my 465t.

I like:
The big screen. A whopping 7". You don't understand how big that is until you set it on the dash. A little unstable sometimes on rough road due to it's size. But I really like it

Voice volume is very good. Had to turn it down from full volume.

Shortcuts: You can make a shortcut from a search, Category or a saved place. I am always searching for Wal-Mart, CVS, Walgreen, Lowe's, Post Office, and rest areas. Now I don't have to type it in. Just touch Wal-Mart and it shows me all the Wal-Mart's.

Fast tracking: This GPS is quick to make turns and keep up with the heads up view. Much better than my 465t.

Shows a view of the exit and the sign where you exit. The Exit number is separate on the top line of the screen.

It tells you at the bottom the road you are on.

You can see (if zoomed in enough) most of the side streets as you approach them. ( missed this feature from my SteetPilot 2610

If you are in Track up it shows you a pointer to the North. That helps me.

Questionable at this time:
In the RV mode I am going down a road leading to the campground and there is nothing else on that road, it says it can't help you with any RV Restrictions (or such) and to be careful. I am not in an area were there are low underpasses to test this feature. I like the way Allstays shows the underpass heights and wish Garmin would use the same information.

Wish they had a vehicle showing a 5th Wheel and Truck than only a Motorhome. Also would like the Motorhome to be smaller.

Avoidances: It has U-Turns, Highways, Tolls & Fees, Ferries, Carpool Lanes, Unpaved Roads. I would like to see the determination between Highways and Interstates. I like most highways which can be 2 lane or 4 lane. I find most of these are in better condition than many of the Interstates.

I have a Parrot Bluetooth and don't need the Bluetooth in the GPS but it would help others that don't have Bluetooth for their cell phone.

Unsure:
Voice Command: Haven't got into it yet but if I can learn to use it that would be cool.

Trip Planner: I upload my routes from one place to another. It recalculates it and so far no problems. Also Trip Planner is ok. You don't have to import your routes they are just there when you need them. What I don't understand, when you upload a route and go to launch it, it asks you to Select Next Destination. Your destination is the end of the route you selected. Just launch it... When you select the route it gives you the option to set the departure time and the arrival time. Not sure if that is necessary. Start time is when you leave. It shows you the distance and travel time.

Also.. Garmin is now only supporting BaseCamp as their mapping software. MapSource is no longer supported. I have no problem with BaseCamp but many are really upset with it. It has features that I am really liking but it is a pain to save routes as a separate file. You can back up the data file and export specific waypoints and routes as a separate file.

Smartphone Link: Not sure what you will do with this. There are no real instructions.

ecoRoute: Not sure what this is.

Phone: links your Pairs your phone to the Bluetooth.

Where I've Been: Not sure what this is.

Last Spot: I think this is where you park your vehicle and it will show you where it is as a handheld unit.

I needed to go to the Post Office to send my RMA 465t back to Garmin. I told it to find the post offices. It took me to one 3 miles away. However it was a small Post Office and the location by the GPS was about a half mile or more off. I turned around and found it close to the interstate. It was closed... Small PO and were out to lunch. Looked up another and found it with no problem.

OK this is long so I am going to rest for now. But at this time I really like the RV760.

BTW... I can not search for RV 760. I tried to find threads concerning the RV760. Wouldn't let me so now I am entering it as one word..

BC

SilverRhino

Glad to see your comments on the new Garmin! I have been looking to upgrade from my 765 so I will be interested to see any further comment you post. I have found great downloadable POI files for the Garmin on Poi-factory.com and I use LowClearances.com for keeping up with potential clearance issues.

The files on Poi factory cover everything you could want and a lot of things you probably don't want. I keep the Wal Mart, campgrounds and rest areas up to date and they are very handy.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This one has campgrounds in it. Don't know how many or how accurate but they are there. Also as I said above you can make shortcuts to search quickly for any subject you might want.

I am going to take some photos of the screen to show what the screens look like.

We are leaving Amarillo on Monday the 14th. Staying on Interstate so there is no challenge for it but I will see what it comes up with.

I am surprised that there has been so little comments on this thread... So far I am really impressed with this GPS...

BC

SilverRhino

There has not been much discussion on this model anywhere! It is basically a modified Dezl 760 that has been adapted for RV use. From everything I have read I am very interested.......My hope is that Santa will remember my interest come Christmas!!

We just returned to Lubbock from 2 weeks in Colorado......Wife commented on how small the GPS screen was compared to the backup camera monitor (3.5" vs. 7"), thought that was a green light to place my order. On the way home, I noticed a small vibration in the truck while in Dalhart.......Center support bearing was shot! Truck went to the shop yesterday.....New center support, new "U" joints, time to service differentials and transfer case, oh, also found out I needed to replace the ball joints......Guess what......No extra goodies for me for awhile :(

So like I said.....maybe Santa! Until then, I will enjoy through your use!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Sorry about the problems. Remember order one through Garmin and tell them you are going to replace your old Garmin #### with the RV760. You will likely get a discount. I got $110 back.

Be nice and sweet talk Ms Santa Clause.

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Update: On My New RV760...

Well I took my RV760 on a trip with the trailer today. In the RV mode it was great. I am even more impressed with this GPS.

Not sure I can tell you all the things that popped up but they all were great. On my old 465t if I needed to take the two left lanes to continue on my route it would give me arrows up on the top left corner. The RV760 pops up a window on the right side showing the two left lanes with red long arrows in each lane. Also as I get to the area it tells me verbally to stay in the 2 left lanes and I will be ok.

When I stopped at a rest stop and went to get back on the freeway a bar on the top right popped up and told me the speed limit was 70mph for the next .2 miles.

When we crossed out of Texas into Oklahoma it came up and told me the state line was 2 miles away and counted down the distance.

When we came up to Oklahoma City East bound on I-40 it told me the there was delay because of traffic. It asked me if I wanted to go on an alternate route, showed me a map and both routes, the one I was taking and another in blue that would take me south on I-240. Gave me some times and other things I did not understand because I didn't have time to really look at it.

When I exceed the speed limit the speed indicator turns a light bordered pink. I turned off the warning annunciation, but it still gives you a mild warning of your speed. When I first heard this I did not like it warning me but this way is really great as long as the Garmin map has the correct speeds.

That is about all I can think of right now but it is easy to see and had to turn down the volume it could be quite loud.

I am impressed so far..

BC

BTW: Is anyone really interested?????

jimtoo

Hey Bob,, we like your reports. Keep them coming. One thing I might add, since it is a Garmin, you might go to the Garmin site and download their little voice management program. Then you could get Pat to say all the words,, you could edit the words.. cut the SSssss off the end,,compress words,, things like that. Then reload it on your Garmin GPS and Pat could tell you where to go and turn and all kinds of things. Of course.. she probably is telling you anyway, but it is a little different to hear it from the GPS. :)

Jim M

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bob, I appreciate the feedback! We will definitely be considering this unit in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Of course.. she probably is telling you anyway, but it is a little different to hear it from the GPS. :) Jim M

Yep, Your correct Jim. That's why I like this GPS. It has a great volume control so I can turn it up REAL LOUD..!!!!

BC

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well thanks guys.. I was not sure this thread was interesting to anyone.

All I can say at this moment is, I really like this GPS over all others I have used or seen.

Something I am missing on this one though. I just may have not found it. When I tapped on the vehicle it told you the location where you are at the moment. When in a town it would tell you the name of the town. I have only seen this once or twice but can't seem to find it every time.

BC

whp4262

I like reading good product reviews and I'm actually in the market for a good RV GPS. Currently looking at the Good Sam GPS by Rand McNally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Hey, Bobcat, thanks for the review and the good information. I want to get a new garmin but it will have to wait on the government to decide on MY finances since it 's all government retirements.

oldmannj

Definitely interested. Been looking for something to replace my old dinosaur 330 Garmin. All the new stuff has nothing for oversize vehicles. Last truck GPS I tried took me immediately to a low bridge!!!! Keep us informed, but it sounds like a Santa kind of thing for me this year. Do I still have to sit on his lap???????????? ED. :angel:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
One thing I want to make sure you all know... I don't know if this will route me away from low underpasses yet. I did turn on a street here that has a tunnel and it warned me, but did not indicate the height, which on this tunnel was way more than enough. When I find out if it will tell me about going under low clearances.

Understand something else. I do not route using the GPS. I plan routes on BaseCamp, Garmin's mapping software, and normally know the route I want to go. I will try and check it out when I get to the dallas area and let you know.

More cool stuff....
When I am in town or a busy area the map view zooms in to about 200ft. You can see all connecting streets as you drive. If you increase your speed to about 60mph it zooms out to .5 Mile so you can see the highway ahead. If you get into an area with lots of streets and slow down to about 45mph it zooms in to 200ft and you can see all the connecting streets again.

On the middle of a line across the bottom of the screen it will show you the street you are on. If you are on a route it will show the name of the next highway change and if you are not on a route it will show you the street you are on also.

If you get close to a school zone it will give you a audio warning and the distance to the school zone. If the school zone is active it will give you the speed and if you are speeding the speed indicator will turn partially red. Cool

I am having a hard time trying to remember all the features it has. I emailed Garmin asking for a User Manual and they said they didn't have one yet but were working on it.

As I find more out about this GPS I will try to remember to post them...

OH... remembered something else. I make my routes in BaseCamp using the RV Profile. I was driving down the street in Car mode. I stopped at a shopping center for a bit. While there I checked out the trip app and clicked on a route I made to get back to Dallas. It took the GPS directly into the RV mode and was ready to navigate. So this GPS works hand in hand with BaseCamp...

Something I am going to find out tomorrow. In BaseCamp you can change the route around and it makes what is called positioning points. These are Waypoints that are not alert you . Regular Waypoints will be announced and show you the distance to them. I like this... Hope it works.

Also as you are driving on a route and you make a turn not part of the route it does not announce "Recalculating". It just changes the route.

FWIW
BC

I am having fun with this..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am still enjoying my RV760. Have found a couple of glitches. Sometimes when I am making a turn or the GPS is telling me the street to turn on it will announce part of the information then a little bit down the road it will finish. Like "Turn left on Stacy Road in half mile" or something like that. I had it one time freeze up on me. I knew where I was going but when I was about a mile away from my destination it just froze up. It kept telling me how far to go and when to turn but the graphics was frozen. I turned it off and disconnected it from the power and turned it back on and it has worked just fine since.

Who knows. Here is some photos of the screen I had a friend take for me as we were traveling.

IMG_0013 [1024x768].JPG IMG_0017 [1024x768].JPG IMG_0018 [1024x768].JPG IMG_0019 [1024x768].JPG IMG_0020 [1024x768].JPG

Until next time

BC

SilverRhino

Bob,

The, stutter, for lack of a better term in the directions is something I noticed on our last trip on my 765. I think this might be an issue with the latest map update.....Never experienced it before my last download.

As a side, I'm still trying to get the time to work on BaseCamp!! One of these days I will get it all figured out :rolleyes:

Randy

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob,

The, stutter, for lack of a better term in the directions is something I noticed on our last trip on my 765. I think this might be an issue with the latest map update.....Never experienced it before my last download.

As a side, I'm still trying to get the time to work on BaseCamp!! One of these days I will get it all figured out :rolleyes:

Randy

Where are you now... We are in Melissa TX until about Mid January..

BC

bsuds

Great info as I am looking for a new CPS. My Tom Tom was stolen out of my truck!
Tried a Rand McNally RV7710 similar to the Good Sam one and had nothing but problems and returned 2. First one never made it past the first day and locked up and 2nd one would not do updates.
Have been looking at the smaller Garmin RV model from Costco and will probably order in the Spring.