Towing Advice Needed

Richmann

Good morning!

I am a new member to the forum and soon to be a Big Country coach owner. My wife and I are about to purchase a new 2014 Ford F-350 CC SW 6.7 with the 6'6" box which is rated to tow a maximum 15,900 for a fifth wheel configuration. It will just be my wife & myself in the vehicle. I will be also have a Reese 18K slider hitch installed.

We have been looking at purchasing the Big Country 3450TS model but I am getting concerned that we will be too close to the max weight and also hearing from buddies that tow similar rigs that we may have issues with trailer sway, etc. due to the single rear wheel configuration of the truck. The fall back position is the 3251TS model which may be more appropriate for our vehicle?

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can provide and look forward to becoming a member of the Heartland family!

jimtoo

HI Richmann,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Sounds like you have been doing your research. You will get more comments from our other member soon I am sure.

Again, welcome to the forum and the Heartland family is here to help.

Jim M

danemayer

The Diesel 350 should have enough towing capacity and payload capacity to handle the BC 3450TS without any difficulty. We have a 2011 GMC 3500 longbed SRW that easily handles the heavier Landmark and goes through the Rockies without any difficulty. I think the long bed will help you with stability - ours is quite stable. Dually configs will do better.

gvtahoe88

Good morning!

I am a new member to the forum and soon to be a Big Country coach owner. My wife and I are about to purchase a new 2014 Ford F-350 CC SW 6.7 with the 6'6" box which is rated to tow a maximum 15,900 for a fifth wheel configuration. It will just be my wife & myself in the vehicle. I will be also have a Reese 18K slider hitch installed.

We have been looking at purchasing the Big Country 3450TS model but I am getting concerned that we will be too close to the max weight and also hearing from buddies that tow similar rigs that we may have issues with trailer sway, etc. due to the single rear wheel configuration of the truck. The fall back position is the 3251TS model which may be more appropriate for our vehicle?

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can provide and look forward to becoming a member of the Heartland family!

Richmann!!! You should be fine with the 3450TS We just got back from a trip that went from Chico Ca. to Washington DC and back we put on just over 8000 miles Truck is a 2011 Ford CC Diesel Short Bed Trailer is a 3585 2012 BigHorn. No sway it towed like a dream. You will need Air Bags. So go for it and enjoy....

HornedToad

I was pulling my toyhauler that weighs 11,500 dry, 13,500 loaded and 15,500 GVWR (about the same as the 3450TS) with an '08 F250 V10 4X4 CC SWR that was rated @ 14,400 fifth wheel towing. It originally sagged about 4 to 5 inches until I installed air bags, then the ride was great. With the newer higher rated suspension you should not have any trouble in that weight range.

You have what it will take to tow that trailer with ease, the diesel engine.

TXTiger

I have a 2012 Cyclone 4014 HD and a 2012 Ford F-350 SRW with the 8 foot bed. Many will tell you to get the duel rear set-up but I am doing fine with the single. I do recommend the longer bed, not for towing, but for making turns. You won't need a slider hitch with the longer bed. If you are buying a new truck, Ford has a 5th wheel prep package from the factory. Holes are already drilled in the bed of the truck for the hitch and the electric plug is already installed in the side wall of the bed as well as a second connector near the bumper. No rails are needed.You can purchase a Reese hitch ready to drop in the preinstalled holes. Ford sells a 18K and a 25K Reese hitch via their parts department. I am told that there are other brands available that will fit too. You will get a lot of opinions on this forum but I do like the idea of the longer bed and no rails so that when I remove the hitch I have a clean bed without rails.

MC9

Don't sell your V-10 short. My F-250 V-10 SC LB with 4:30 rear is rated at 16200.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I agree with the Long Bed. Otherwise everything else should be good. I have a SRW F250 and have no problem. Many prefer a DRW truck for stabilization.

BC

caissiel

I tow our BC 3500RL with the F250 LWB. The spring packs on F350 are same as mine.
Stability was improved by adding one ply under the main ply. I was recommended by the spring shop to protect the main ply on the Fords. Loading the helper is to late as the springs ride on the overloads first.
Added one more short ply above the plate (overloads) above the axle to smooth the ride.
Everything is perfect and unit pulls great with no sway and the 275 70 18 tires ride great. Fuel mileage with BC is unbelievable. They tow easily and I would stick with your 1st choice. LWB would be my choise for Ford or Ram trucks.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

Richmann

Thanks everyone for your great advice. I feel much better now about our purchase! I look forward to meeting some of folks out on the trail!

MTPockets

I find it interesting no one mentions payload capacity, and most SRW owners will never admit being overloaded as an area of concern. Towing ability is one thing, payload is a separate item. You can very well have towing capacity, but will be under capacity with payload. SRW owners will always support their decisions, but if the truck is rated for 3600 lbs payload, there is nothing you can do to increase that number as the limit is most likely the tire capacity. Only two more tires can increase the payload. A unit with 15,500 lb GVWR will put you over the rated payload limit for a SRW truck. It's simple Physics . I spent my career dealing with load ratings and load/speed limiting factors and the math tells the story. Go beyond the boundaries and you are facing reduced life, premature wear, and sometimes failure of components. I chose not to ignore the math/physics/specs - especially for the health of my $60,000 plus truck.

danemayer

The 3450TS has an empty pin weight spec of 2200. Even running fully loaded and front-heavy, it probably won't get above 3200. New F350 SRWs have a payload that goes up to 4400 in some short bed configurations - 3600 is one of the lowest SRW payloads shown on the Ford website.

caissiel

I find it interesting no one mentions payload capacity, and most SRW owners will never admit being overloaded as an area of concern. Towing ability is one thing, payload is a separate item. You can very well have towing capacity, but will be under capacity with payload. SRW owners will always support their decisions, but if the truck is rated for 3600 lbs payload, there is nothing you can do to increase that number as the limit is most likely the tire capacity. Only two more tires can increase the payload. A unit with 15,500 lb GVWR will put you over the rated payload limit for a SRW truck. It's simple Physics . I spent my career dealing with load ratings and load/speed limiting factors and the math tells the story. Go beyond the boundaries and you are facing reduced life, premature wear, and sometimes failure of components. I chose not to ignore the math/physics/specs - especially for the health of my $60,000 plus truck.

I am getting tired of hearing it. It is the the GCWR and tire capacity that counts and my front and rear capacity of 3640# each amont to all the safery requirements for TV.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

MTPockets

The 3450TS has an empty pin weight spec of 2200. Even running fully loaded and front-heavy, it probably won't get above 3200. New F350 SRWs have a payload that goes up to 4400 in some short bed configurations - 3600 is one of the lowest SRW payloads shown on the Ford website.
Agree with the web numbers, but be mindful of the fact those numbers are for a stripped down truck. Start adding options and that number on the delivered vehicle door post is lower. I'm not pointing out any specific payload limit for any brand SRW. Just awareness that the number on the specific truck is the limit for that truck. Going over is very common and when you're over, you're over. It's Not my truck but the question was asked and he needs to know all the facts. If he chooses to push the envelope that's a personal choice. Anyone can argue all day about it, but in the end, exceeding payload is over- taxing the vehicle. Again, it's simple math

dave10a

Mine tows just fine and in Fords specs as long I don't pull with the tanks full of water. I usually pull with 1/4 fresh and empty black and grey. I see no need to have a dually. That is one reason I bought a Land Mark. It is light for its size and pulls great. I have on occasion pulled with the tanks near full and did not notice any difference it pulling or handling :)

MTPockets

Mine tows just fine and in Fords specs as long I don't pull with the tanks full of water. I usually pull with 1/4 fresh and empty black and grey. I see no need to have a dually. That is one reason I bought a Land Mark. It is light for its size and pulls great. I have on occasion pulled with the tanks near full and did not notice any difference it pulling or handling :)

Been there. My first TV was the F350SRW crew cab short bed. After visiting scales fully loaded with people, tools, across bed toolbox, folding bed cover, hitch, full fuel, we were 600 lbs over door post. Truck pulled just fine; never felt squirrelly, but it was over loaded. That's when my background kicked in and so I now have DRW. Can't tell anyone else what to do, but as I stated earlier, I choose to stick with specs as best I can.

Richmann

Been there. My first TV was the F350SRW crew cab short bed. After visiting scales fully loaded with people, tools, across bed toolbox, folding bed cover, hitch, full fuel, we were 600 lbs over door post. Truck pulled just fine; never felt squirrelly, but it was over loaded. That's when my background kicked in and so I now have DRW. Can't tell anyone else what to do, but as I stated earlier, I choose to stick with specs as best I can.

Thanks for the great advice MTPockets (and everyone else!) I will take it to heart. We will not be towing with tanks full and we won't have tools, washer dryer, etc. so I would anticipate not adding more than 1,000 to 1,500 lb's to the coach max. We have purchased the truck but are still on the fence with the coach. The worst part of it is we don't have many Heartland dealers in our area so we are limited in our choices. Our local dealer is offering us a new 2013 3450TS for $xxxxxxx which seems like a good deal based on my research. Any feedback from you folks would be appreciated though.

Last edited by a moderator:

HornedToad

Thanks for the great advice MTPockets (and everyone else!) I will take it to heart. We will not be towing with tanks full and we won't have tools, washer dryer, etc. so I would anticipate not adding more than 1,000 to 1,500 lb's to the coach max. We have purchased the truck but are still on the fence with the coach. The worst part of it is we don't have many Heartland dealers in our area so we are limited in our choices. Our local dealer is offering us a new 2013 3450TS for $xxxxxxxx which seems like a good deal based on my research. Any feedback from you folks would be appreciated though.

If your research confirms your local dealer has a good deal, not necessarily the best deal, then that's where you want to buy to have a relationship after the sale.

But... if you can't find a good deal local, get in your new truck and drive. I spent a 4 day weekend and $1,000 bucks of gas to save $7,500 off the best deal I could find in the state, and to get the exact trailer I wanted.

Birchwood

I have heard honest people speak of sway while towing with a SRW truck and they realize a DRW would eliminate this concern .I would like very much to tow with a SRW and I may be able to take it easy and deal with the sway.All I can say is I have never experienced sway of any kind running my GMC dually and Landmark.I think the 350 SRW you plan on purchasing will be well within the 11900 lb GVWR of the truck