We want to change brake pads on our 1 ton dually.

smitty47

Would like to change brake pads on our 1ton dually but can't decide whether to use ceramic or heavy-duty semi-metallic pads. Can anyone provide pros and cons for each kind. We tow our 40 footer around the country.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: We want to change brake pads on our 1ton dually.

Hi Smitty47. Wow, two years and now your first post. Cool.
As to your brake pads, there are a couple schools of thought.
The semi-metallic will wear a bit faster than the ceramic pads.
The ceramic pads, because they are harder, will take a toll on the rotors.
I personally prefer the heavy duty semi-metallic.

Peace
Dave

whp4262

I like the Ceramic because the last a lot longer on my Dodge 1-ton. I have the rotors ground or replace them anyway when I do the brakes so for me rotor wear is not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Here's a link to a similar topic, with more opinions:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/42040-GMC-1-ton-Brakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

porthole

Retired

As much as I am in favor of OEM pads, I just ordered a set of Hawk pads.

My current OEM pads are unacceptable as to how they held up. Not the thickness but deterioration.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/42040-GMC-1-ton-Brakes?p=331070&viewfull=1#post331070

I showed my pics to a friend that does the maintenance for a local landscaper. He said my pads are typical of the Ford pads he changes.

The other day he swapped out this set of pads with 30K from a F650. These were OEM pads that were previously changed at 30K

650_pads.jpg

CrazyCooter

No ceramic pads for towing. They are great for flatland city cars that don't want dust on the wheels and ultimate quiet operation. The semi metallics are they was to go since you tow. OE is preferred if you like the way they wore and stopped originally, but I use Wagner TQ a lot at the shop as an all around aftermarket replacement.

I personally use the EBC Yellow Stuff truck pads on my ride. They have an excellent cold bite and stop 30% better than OE pads which I demand. With this pad, I can squeal my 37" tall semi tires with the truck weighing 11K! I have 9K miles on them and they looked like about 90% left remaining. They do dust a little more than the stock pads though.

Wrenched

I've had both over the years. I'm with the other fellows who use the Hawk pads - recommended.
The ceramics had some issues that weren't great for towing (in my experience anyway - your mileage may vary). They were anemic when cold, then grabby when warm.
When properly warmed up, they were more grippy than the OEMs, but I got tired of never knowing how hard to push when I hit the binders, and finding out too late that I pushed too slowly (cold) or too briskly (warm) and got different and unexpected brake response.
The Hawk heavy duty pads wore at a very reasonable rate, didn't leave much in the way of dust on the wheels, and were very progressive in the brake force applied when stopping, cold, warm or hot.
Just my 2 cents.

Vtxkid

Smithy47, I don't see where you metioned what Dually you have... If you have the Chevy Dually, would recommend that you keep the OEM brake pads as they perform great AND have the best resistance to that nasty brake dust!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I agree to useing the stock GM pads. My 07 2500 still had over 50% at 90K miles and did alot of heavy towing. We will see how my '13 3500 dually does.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
EBC Green Stuff #7000 are amazing pads. Ran those on my old Dodge and I am sold on them. Braking was far better, never noticed any brake fade, and they kept the rims much much cleaner then the OEM brake pads. Dodge OEM pads have way to much metallic material in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

porthole

Retired
Film at eleven .............

Just finished the pads on my 1 ton Ford DRW.
Hardest brakes I ever had to deal with and I have done brakes on everything from a 3 speed Shimano bicycle hub to tractor trailers. :mad:

The condition of my brakes at 46K may have me rethink my next truck purchase.

Vtxkid

Film at eleven .............

Just finished the pads on my 1 ton Ford DRW.
Hardest brakes I ever had to deal with and I have done brakes on everything from a 3 speed Shimano bicycle hub to tractor trailers. :mad:

The condition of my brakes at 46K may have me rethink my next truck purchase.

Come on over to the Chevy side Duane... not only do the brake pads last longer, you don't get any of the brake dust the Fords do! :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Come on over to the Chevy side Duane... not only do the brake pads last longer, you don't get any of the brake dust the Fords do! :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I disagree with the dust Jerry. I had a Tahoe for 100K and the GMC HD for 87K. Brake dust was about the same.

Tahoe I put brakes on almost every 15-20K, mostly due to the front rotors warping.
GMC I don't recall ever putting brakes on.

So, the Hawk brake pads came really fast from the vendor. Only problem was that they did not include the spring clips and I ended up recycling 7 of the 8 old clips (#8 I never found)

Prying the calipers off was a challenge, and I ended up cracking one of the pistons. That put me back a couple of days as well as $280 extra.
All the old pads had to be hammer and chiseled out of the caliper/brake pad mounting bracket.

Front pads, maybe 1/4 of the pad surface area is gone. The pad thickness was still good.

Pads_front.jpg

Rear pads, some surface area missing. On the rears the pad thickness was about the same as the backing plate, the normal change out time. Never had a vehicle where the rear pads wore out what seems to be twice as fast as the fronts. When towing the Cyclone, I keep the truck controller at 10 and let the trailer's disc brakes do as much as they can.

Pads_rear.jpg

The reason for even checking the brakes was the perceived loss of brake effectiveness and searching for a noise in the left front hub. Best I can tell I have chunk of rust of the rotor stuck somewhere in the hub. Only makes noise at low speeds, like a pebble in the hub cap. After seeing the surface area loss of the front pads I think I found my answer

Can't get the debris out without disassembling the front hub.

Rotor_front.jpg

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Porthole, those pictures are shocking for a 2011 truck. I have seen the same type of photos from a 2008 on FTE forum. My 08's brakes look almost new with no rust with 50K miles. (25k+ towing) The environment must play a huge part in the rust department. Also note that premature wear can occur with lack of maintenance causing the calipers to stick/drag. (brake fluid must flushed at least twice a year to stop moisture contamination issues) "Brake fluid attracts moisture, and this moisture can rust the insides of the brake system. This moisture was not that big of deal 10 years ago, but on ABS brake systems of today, the rust and other debris that accumulates in the fluid can do lots of internal damage and can be very costly."

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
Also note that premature wear can occur with lack of maintenance causing the calipers to stick/drag. (brake fluid must flushed at least twice a year to stop moisture contamination issues)

There is no maintenance on calipers-pads nor does brake fluid have to be flushed twice a year.

driver311

i hav a dodge with 301000 mis and not changes any pads. i pull drv s so i pull big trailers. need to hav better brake management and an exhaust brake.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I've been very satisfied with the SD (SUPERDUTY) - Severe-Duty Truck Brakes from Hawk Performance. I got the best price from Amazon.com

After more research and discovering new rotors were put on less than 2 years ago, we opted for Hawk Superduty pads, front and rear, installed by 4-Wheel-Parts. Immediate braking improvement driving home from the install today. Will wait to see on our next trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

Had my annual truck inspection/fix last week. 2008 2500 HD with about 120,000 and thought it was time to change out breaks but dealership refused....said brakes were only half gone. So no complaints here.

And, of course, I love a place that makes a living fixing stuff that tells you it is not time yet to fix anything.

Oh, I did pay them $50 for changing out my transmission filter.