Anyone towing with RAM 3500, Laramie, 6'3" bed?

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
Looking at a 2012 RAM 3500 Laramie with the 6'-3" bed SRW. I tow a 2013 Bighorn 3010re? The truck already has air bags and my hitch is a Husky Slider. Was wondering if there was anyone out there towing something comparable with this RAM 3500? Do not really wish to go to the long bed as I'd like to park my truck in the garage. Currently towing with a '07 2500hd Silverado, extended cab and it fits in the garage with 2' of walk around space.

Trenk

I pull a 3610 BH with a 2008 3500 Dodge Meg a cab with a short box. I also have a Husky slider, We have Had no problems and we both like the truck and the way it handles the load.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yes -we have an '09 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW diesel with a short bed (6'3") with a standard TrailerMate hitch (not a slider) without any problems. We did add airbags just to help level the bed up. Our hitch weight is about 2400 lbs.
2012-11-05_11-56-10_755 (1).jpg

We have the 2012 3500 mega cab short box with a husky slider and have no problems at all. We love this truck. The reason why we went with the short box is because this is my daily driver and I work downtown. Parking can be a nightmare.

DesertThumper

Looking at a 2012 RAM 3500 Laramie with the 6'-3" bed SRW. I tow a 2013 Bighorn 3010re? The truck already has air bags and my hitch is a Husky Slider. Was wondering if there was anyone out there towing something comparable with this RAM 3500? Do not really wish to go to the long bed as I'd like to park my truck in the garage. Currently towing with a '07 2500hd Silverado, extended cab and it fits in the garage with 2' of walk around space.

Hey George,

He had a 2500 Mega Cab short bed 2012 towing a 36 foot Travel Trailer before we bought our new rig setup. Towing with a short bed did great. I did have the super glide hitch 18k installed with air bags. Some tight spots at the camp site required us to take advantage of the 90 degree angle to push back the trailer. If you are interested, I have the hitch plate and rails for your future truck. Pm me if interested. The Ram chasis changed from 2012 to 2013.

DW_Gray

Just curious for information. I wonder how many, if any, SRW trucks listed on this thread have exceeded the rear GAWR. The rear axle ratings on most SRW trucks are weak for many 5th wheel RVs.

caissiel

Y
Just curious for information. I wonder how many, if any, SRW trucks listed on this thread have exceeded the rear GAWR. The rear axle ratings on most SRW trucks are weak for many 5th wheel RVs.

I have heard that from duelly owners for 20 years.
And it gives them reasons to own one.
Most SRW axles are rated for way over the truck manufacture rating by the axle manufactures.
Never once did I see a floating axle fail.
Did see some broken axles on 1/2 tons but never floating axles.

The only time axles may fail is a 4 x 4 on low range 1st gear with the truck on a 45 degree hill. No one can do that with a 5th wheel hooked on. Most trailers are never towed on low range.

I do use it often because I have a 4 x 4 with manual transmission and manual transfer case with manual hubs. Same setup if I had a duelly.

The transmission will fail first as I have heard of more then one towing loaded semis with their 4 x 4 F250 and F350 dually. Here in this part of the country we have to work our trucks. They do leave the highways.
Trailers do not hurt and overload trucks when they are driven properly.

If the tires fit the SRW can tow it.

My take on this never ending subject.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

DW_Gray

Y

I have heard that from duelly owners for 20 years.
And it gives them reasons to own one.
Most SRW axles are rated for way over the truck manufacture rating by the axle manufactures.
Never once did I see a floating axle fail.
Did see some broken axles on 1/2 tons but never floating axles.

The only time axles may fail is a 4 x 4 on low range 1st gear with the truck on a 45 degree hill. No one can do that with a 5th wheel hooked on. Most trailers are never towed on low range.

I do use it often because I have a 4 x 4 with manual transmission and manual transfer case with manual hubs. Same setup if I had a duelly.

The transmission will fail first as I have heard of more then one towing loaded semis with their 4 x 4 F250 and F350 dually. Here in this part of the country we have to work our trucks. They do leave the highways.
Trailers do not hurt and overload trucks when they are driven properly.

If the tires fit the SRW can tow it.

My take on this never ending subject.

That's a lot of words, but it still does not answer my inquiry.

I appears you zoomed in only on the axle. GAWR is for the whole axle assembly and that will include components such as the brakes, springs and axle ratio, etc. Rarely will the "axle" be the limiting factor for GAWR. Any rating will be based on the weakest component or link in the assembly. This information is pointed out here.

caissiel

Really!!!
What a pile of, .........

F350 SRW are lifted to allow better alignment of the drive line when loaded and it can drop 2 more inches then the F250.

Only difference. So I prefer the lower F250. I would modify a duelly if I had one. To satisfy the lighter pin load of a 5th wheel.

A very small amount of duellies are loaded with 5th wheels. But Toyhaulers are different, a duelly is best for the heavy pin weight due to balance.

jasons09cyclone

From what I was told by a Ford rep that a f350 was an f250 with an over load spring. . And a lower great ratio.. I went with the f250 and never looked back. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Birchwood

The max GVWR of your BH is 14000 lbs so therefore your pin weight will be 2800 lb max.Calculate the total weight of your truck with hitch passengers cargo etc.Add 2800 and the weight of your truck and that value should not exceed the GVWR stamped on the door sill of your truck.I think you will be within the limits towing with any one ton whether it be SRW or DRW but may be close to the upper limit.

jolar3329

I'm towing a 16,000 Lb GVW Big Horn with a short bed 3500 Mega Cab and single rear wheels and have not had a problem. I previously towed with a 2500 Sierra srw without a problem.

DW_Gray

I'm towing a 16,000 Lb GVW Big Horn with a short bed 3500 Mega Cab and single rear wheels and have not had a problem. I previously towed with a 2500 Sierra srw without a problem.

That is another undeniable truth for you and thousands of others, but, as I said previously, that does not prove the rear axle assembly (GAWR) is not overloaded on many SWR vehicles. The GVWR and the GAWR written on the vehicle's certification label is the only legally binding requirement concerning maximum loads for any vehicle. I doubt law enforcement will allow ignorance as an escape to towing overloaded (GVWR and GAWR). But I will also note, that as long as the vehicles "appear" to be traveling safely down the road, it is unlikely law enforcement will have any reason to investigate.