Caulk in tubes drying out...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Trying to keep the caulking good on the trailer. I go out and buy a tube of Caulk apply some to the trailer. I have tried everything from using 10P nails to some of the Black caps you can purchase from HD or Lowes.

What method do you use.

BC

Kbvols

Bob, I have had good luck with using a long wood screw like a deck screw then wrap aluminum foil over the entire tip them put the tip end in plastic bag twisting it tight and tape. Process has proven to work.

GOTTOYS

I don't know how many tubes I've found in the garage that were partially used and dried up. I tried screws, nails, foil, tape you name it. Now I just use it and if I don't use anymore after a week I toss it. That's the cost of doing business....Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I don't know how many tubes I've found in the garage that were partially used and dried up. I tried screws, nails, foil, tape you name it. Now I just use it and if I don't use anymore after a week I toss it. That's the cost of doing business....Don

I'll agree with you on this. You can waste a lot of time trying to clear dried caulk from the tip of the tube only to find it's plugged down inside. Unless you're a million miles away from a RV store, it's simpler to decide "tomorrow's the day to caulk" and go get some fresh today. Or pick up a tube to keep on hand.

priorguy

I've had success with both the wire nut and nail. They key is to tape generously with electrical of duct tape. The tip has to be sealed to prevent from drying out. I've had some that last years this way and were still as good as day one. Any I taped too quickly etc. would dry out. If you take enough care all of these methods will work just fine.

Lynn1130

Sealing the tip of the tube won't do much because the other end of the tube (the slide end) has a gap, a very small gap, that will allow air in over a long storage. While not a total solution, I have found that what ever process you use to seal the tip will probably work fine but then put the tube in a gal ziploc bag, squeeze the air out and seal the bag. Then don't leave it in the hot garage for the summer.

dbbls59

I read about someone using a vacuum pack machine and sealed a caulk tube in it. It keep very well.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Don, that sounds like the best idea of all.
Next time I open a tube I will try that.

Peace
Dave

yepuhuh

I've been a long time advocate of capping the end and put it in the freezer. Then when you need some, let it thaw out and use it. Been doing this for many years with success

Birchwood

I have been using the same tube of Dicor for years as it never really hardens at the end.The regular tubing I have given up on so I just purchase the small tubes of 3M with the screw cap.The screw cap works for a while and then I go to the bottom(got this idea from a sailor) of the tube with scissors and cut a hole, use ,then fold.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
uma7ane9.jpg

Just saw this in a magazine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mobilcastle

I've been a long time advocate of capping the end and put it in the freezer. Then when you need some, let it thaw out and use it. Been doing this for many years with success

I am trying this -I put 2 tubes in the freezer -my DW wondered why I did that-I blamed it on the Heartland forum!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

Use what you need and throw the rest away. It's gonna dry.

Peace
Dave

Yep and I usually keep a couple of new ones of various types on hand. I normally buy them when they are on sale or I have a promotional discount coupon.