ATF: Gateway - Location of water pump to winterize

Drivr

So I went from a BigHorn which had the universal control center with the water heater bypass and water pump antifreeze intake all right there and accessible. Where do I access the water heater bypass and water pump intake tp winterize this 2014 Gateway 3500RE?

danemayer

Hi Drivr,

Looking at the floorplan for Gateway 3500RE, I'd guess your water heater is on the off-door-side, under the shower. If there's no UDC, you may have 3 valves to turn for the bypass and they're probably just on the inside of the water heater. I'd guess you may have to take down the basement storage wall on that side to gain access.

If you're not familiar with the 3 valve bypass, you may want to take a look at page 24 of our owner-written Water Systems Guide.

greg7140

I think all the Gateway's are basically all the same since bathroom is in same place...there is a 1' x 1' access door if you look at the aft basement storage area. Although, during our PDI the service tech said it was actually easier to just remove the 4 screws holding the side cover just inside the off-door compartme, that way you didn't have to crawl into the basement. I tried it both ways and the tech was correct...much easier to just take the side cover off!

Garykcpa

I agree - much easier to enter through cover. I put two hinges and a simple slid lock on the cover to access without hav ing to remove screws each time.

1_oldgoat

Thats an excellent idea, i ask the tech thad did my walk through and he wasn't sure where the bypass access was so i crawled inside the storage and remeved the 1x1 panel and could see the back of the water heater, didn't think about the side panel....nice!! Will be doing that in a few days. Thanks for shareing that tidbit of information!!