Suggestions for cutting new holes in ceiling material

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
:confused:I am looking to add LED recessed lights to our 2013 Landmark. Any ideas of best way to cut into ceiling material? I was thinking a hole saw but not sure if it will rip and tear material. Also is it particle board or compressed paper product?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It's a thin Luan ceiling. I have had good luck using a razor knife.
Didn't your 2013 Landmark come with recessed Halogen lighting?
If so, you can get LED puck lights from Heartland that will drop right in. They require three small screws.

Peace
Dave

murry135

Dave,

Yes, I have the lights from Heartland and want to install them this weekend. Just wondering what will be my best way cuting 3.25 inch hole to insert them into ceiling board.

danemayer

If you take the glass diffuser off one of the new lights, you can trace around the fixture with a pencil so you know where to cut with the razor knife.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jim, you should not have to do any cutting.
I changed mine out and the new ones fit right in.
If you do need to open the hole, the razor knife will do the trick.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

murry135

I am actually adding two more lights, one in bathroom and one in the bedroom to light up some dark areas. Hence, my question, "How to cut?"

danemayer

I think all the responses so far were assuming it would be over the chairs or sofa. Cutting into the ceiling in the bathroom and bedroom will be different. Not sure everyone's ceiling is made quite the same way. Have you checked what yours is made of? Maybe drop an existing fixture to check.