Weighed my trailer last week

Sumo

So I finely got around to weighting my truck and trailer fully loaded. And man was I surprised. I would have bet dollars to donuts that I was close if not a little over weight. Which would explain why I keep blowing tires. I was dragging my feet afraid of what I would find.

But total weight 17260 lbs, truck is 7960 lbs and 5th wheel is 9300 lbs. The max weight for my 5th wheel is 11600 lbs so I'm 2300 lbs under weight. The truck is rated for 12000 lbs for a 5th wheel. So good news for me.

Still don't know why I keep blowing tires. My average is now 1 per trip. My best guess is bad luck.

dougw

Re: Weight my Trailer last week.

Tow ax tires right?

Make sure you run them with max air and get them balanced. You'll soon see lots of post telling you to get ride of the china made tires.

Sumo

Changed to a E rated Tow max tire, with 80 psi. I now have 2 Marathon and 3 Tow max tires. Neither of which has the best reputation.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I would get the alignment checked. Maybe a bent axle is causing undo stress?

Also, are you driving within the speed rating of the tires, ST are 65mph max? If you are exceeding the speed rating regularly, you are causing the tire to age prematurely. Excessive heat breaks down the chemical bonds in the rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sumo

I did have an alignment problem which was fixed early last spring.
I put the cruise on 68 mph and have run up to 75 mph for short distances.

caissiel

So I finely got around to weighting my truck and trailer fully loaded. And man was I surprised. I would have bet dollars to donuts that I was close if not a little over weight. Which would explain why I keep blowing tires. I was dragging my feet afraid of what I would find.

But total weight 17260 lbs, truck is 7960 lbs and 5th wheel is 9300 lbs. The max weight for my 5th wheel is 11600 lbs so I'm 2300 lbs under weight. The truck is rated for 12000 lbs for a 5th wheel. So good news for me.

Still don't know why I keep blowing tires. My average is now 1 per trip. My best guess is bad luck.

I had same bad luck until I installed LT tires on the previous trailer. Then my luck change. Until you get rid of the ST tires your luck will never change.

I drove 7 years with overloaded and over inflated tires on the previous unit and traded it with the tires that still looked great.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

danemayer

I did have an alignment problem which was fixed early last spring.
I put the cruise on 68 mph and have run up to 75 mph for short distances.

My understanding is that ST tires are rated for speed up to 65mph, which means that they can dissipate the heat that builds up at 65mph. At 68mph, they may not be able to dissipate all the heat and internal temperature will climb to a point where the internal fibers of the tire are damaged. The damage doesn't get reversed when you slow down, so it accumulates until there's a catastrophic failure.

Sumo

My tire failed in less than 500 miles. If the ST tire is that fragile, can only be operated under 65 mph, maybe I should change to LT"s.

I really think I'm just having some super tire BAD LUCK. Or bad karma from a pass life. LOL

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

My tire failed in less than 500 miles. If the ST tire is that fragile, can only be operated under 65 mph, maybe I should change to LT"s.

I really think I'm just having some super tire BAD LUCK. Or bad karma from a pass life. LOL

Sumo, they do seem to be more sensitive to being taxed beyond their capabilities. Unfortunately, we don't know how transport drivers are handling delivery to the dealers. If they pulled it at 75, they could have inflicted damage that didn't appear until later. Your alignment issue may have caused unseen stress before you had it fixed.

Who knows? We do see a high failure rate of TowMax on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sumo

True, Never know how the tires where treated before I got them. All my tires are new, now.

wildwolfproducts

Guy near me is always blowing tires on his. After following him 75 miles back in the spring, I know why now. He hit every curb around and then when I asked him about it. Ohh that does not hurt those tires. He would drag his over a 2ft tall wall if its in his way. One tire he scattered on that short trip was less then a week old. But when we left the sidewall had marks on it from scuffing on stuff.
As for speed, not sure on that. When a company I Pulled for had the drop deck trailers. Those tires were rated for 65 MPH. Pulled those trailers even at Triple Digit speeds for hours. Never did blow a tire on the trailers, but then again at those speeds we only had on a load of Bathtubs. So weight was not bad on them. But then again they were not rated for a lot of weight also.
Hope your bad luck with tires does not last much longer. I know plans are to add Tire TMS's to my truck and trailer next spring.

Sumo

Would love to add a TMS to my trailer. I have added it to my Christmas list.
So fingers crossed.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

TMPS is a lifesaver. We have the Doran TMPS and it has saved us several times by giving us a warning of possible trouble. I highly recommend some type of system.