Tie down rings in garage

whp4262

A few days ago I decided to remove the cargo rings in the garage of my 09 Cyclone, clean them up in the blast cabinet and paint them. Turns out that I'm glad I did because some of the attaching hardware for the cargo rings were corroded pretty bad. Don't think it would have been long before my 1000 pound motorcycle would have broke loose a tie down so think I'll put this on the inspection list for every couple years. See attached pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0894.JPG
    IMG_0894.JPG
    700.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0895.jpg
    IMG_0895.jpg
    786.2 KB · Views: 161

TXTiger

WOW. I have a 2012 Cyclone. Will have to keep an eye on this too. Maybe replace the bolts with non rusting kind!!!!

porthole

Retired
A few days ago I decided to remove the cargo rings in the garage of my 09 Cyclone, clean them up in the blast cabinet and paint them. Turns out that I'm glad I did because some of the attaching hardware for the cargo rings were corroded pretty bad. Don't think it would have been long before my 1000 pound motorcycle would have broke loose a tie down so think I'll put this on the inspection list for every couple years. See attached pictures

Interesting. Has the floor aver been wet?
An inch of plywood in the garage, and it looks like most of the corrosion is were the screws were in wood.

whp4262

I'm the second owner so not sure what may have happened before I bought it but I haven't noticed any indication of water damage anywhere in the coach. The previous owner did have carpet in the garage and I think that May have contributed to the problem. The floor is solid but it did seem a little swelled in the bolt holes. I ran a drill bit in the holes just to clean them up and installed stainless screws when I put the tie downs back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Mizmary

Don't forget that having two unlike metals touching each other will speed the corrosion process. But that does look BAD.

porthole

Retired
OP - did you use nuts and lock washers with your replacement screws?

The screws you took out are self tappers.
Screws, washers and nuts should be used once you remove the originals when they are corroded like that.

McMaster-Carr.com is an excellent site for hardware.

whp4262

OP - did you use nuts and lock washers with your replacement screws?

The screws you took out are self tappers.
Screws, washers and nuts should be used once you remove the originals when they are corroded like that.

McMaster-Carr.com is an excellent site for hardware.

No I didn't use nuts and lock washers. Ran a tap in each hole to clean up the threads and installed stainless screws, you can get to the back side of some of the screws but not all of them without taking out the gas tank etc.

porthole

Retired
No I didn't use nuts and lock washers. Ran a tap in each hole to clean up the threads and installed stainless screws, you can get to the back side of some of the screws but not all of them without taking out the gas tank etc.

Those self tappers originally installed are "almost" 1/4-20, but not quite. Your call, but I would add nuts and lock washers or Ny-loks.

BTW, you can get to the screws above the tank by just dropping it a bit, you don't have to pull it all the way down. Helps to be flexible.