Kitchen drawers

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our kitchen drawers slide open when traveling . . .

Any ideas on how to make them stay in?

I told my wife that maybe . . . just maybe . . . we should take some stuff out . . .

And all I got was "The Look"! :p

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There is a small catch on the bottom of the drawer.
You could check the alignment and adjust as needed.
I had to do a couple of mine.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Garypowell

If it is any comfort so do mine. Since they face each other when the slide is closed it is not a big deal. But I probably should look at them as Cookie suggests for you.

The crazy thing for me is that it is never the same drawer and we check them closed on each departure.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When ours slide out they hit the outside wall of the slideout.

So far no dents . . .

I should be getting the trailer back from the dealership by the end of the week, so I'll check that out when I get it back.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I took some velcro and put it on the backside of the drawer face and the opposite piece of velcro on the cabinet. When the drawer is closed the velcro holds it closed. It does not have to be a large piece of velcro.

jmgratz

The bigger issue we have had is to bottom of the kitchen drawers fall off because they were only stapled on the corners of the bottom. Some small nails solved that problem but someone in the factory needs to be told to put more staples in the drawer bottoms.

wdk450

Jim:
I want to try the velcro fix drawers, but want to warn that for the BIG drawer that I have under my double door refrigerator, full of pasta and other dry foods, velcro isn't enough. I made a catch similar to some of the plastic childproofing catches out of a strap hinge, a machine screw, some nuts and a compression spring. The drawer will open slightly to allow you to press down on the latch with a finger to release the drawer.

003.jpg

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    664.6 KB · Views: 130

jmgratz

Jim:
I want to try the velcro fix drawers, but want to warn that for the BIG drawer that I have under my double door refrigerator, full of pasta and other dry foods, velcro isn't enough. I made a catch similar to some of the plastic childproofing catches out of a strap hinge, a machine screw, some nuts and a compression spring. The drawer will open slightly to allow you to press down on the latch with a finger to release the drawer.

View attachment 27189

Looks like a good fix. But I used the commercial Velcro which is sticker on my heavier drawers such as a file drawer with several reams of blank paper and many files. A longer strip of Velcro worked just fine.

Sandi_Z

We have a 29rks and our drawers face the peninsula and the 2nd one always slides out. I put a 3/4" dowel rod through all the handles. Our return trip last weekend broke the dowel rod. Thinking we can put spring rods to possibly hold them shut. I'll look to see if there is a catch to be adjusted.

Enjoy reading everyone's solutions!

montey

I have a 2014 trail runner. I installed a small eye bolt above the top drawer and below the bottom drawer. I painted them black. You have to look hard to see them. We use a small bungee cord to run threw the drawer handles and hook to the eye bolts. We use the tiny bungee with the black ball on the end to wrap around the cabinet door knobs before we travel. No issue with drawer or cabinet coming open. Camper has 2 hanging doors at the bedroom. The latch that holds the doors together in the middle of the room would come loose. We now run a tie wrap threw this latch. Doors stay in place while traveling. I also made more support for under the sliding doors. I cut 2 pieces of UHMW plastic rectangle bar about 6" long the height of the gap from door to the floor. I drilled 2 holes in each. Screwed one under each door. This made the doors more rigid slide better and stay square to each other.

MTClines

Kitchen drawers NEED TO BE MADE BETTER !!

THE DRAWER BOTTOMS IN MOST ALL TOWABLES IS MADE FROM WALL BOARD AND IS REALLY CHINCY. It would be nice if the drawer bottoms were at least 1/4" plywood instead of that flimsy wall board. Those drawers are where many of us store our pots & pans and it doesn't take too many to cause the drawer bottom to drop out. Cheesy. :(