ATF: North Trail - Mounting a Slide Topper

mbopp

I have a 2013 21FBS with the deep, cable-driven slide. It does not have a slide topper and I'd like to add one.
Are there preferred locations to mount the brackets to the trailer body and slide? Or any locations NOT to mount the brackets to? I'd like to mount them so the attaching screws go into studs or other structural members. Are any diagrams available as to where or where not to use screws when attaching the brackets?

FrankD1949

I had my slide topper installed by the dealer. Their work is warranted and your's isn't. It was worth the $400 the dealer charged for the topper on my 2013 22FBS.

Phishless

I had the dealer install mine and it works great. Camping World sells and installs these also and they are less expensive than most dealers.

Joekeys

Just picked up our 2015 NT 22FBS and want to add the slide topper. One dealer says I need a 96" ant he other says I need a 102". What brand and size did you get, and are you happy with it ?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I thought slide toppers were a great idea, until I read several threads here about having to close the slides during high winds.

I decided against getting them as Colorado is the land of high wind!

silvasp

I thought slide toppers were a great idea, until I read several threads here about having to close the slides during high winds.

I decided against getting them as Colorado is the land of high wind!

Is there a solution where you can add a topper to work independently of the slide operation?

danemayer

Hi silvasp,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Is there a solution where you can add a topper to work independently of the slide operation?

I've not heard of one, but who knows? It's a big world full of all kinds of things. If it doesn't exist yet, maybe this is your opportunity to invent.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have seen some awnings that go over the slide and mount below the window that acts as a window awning and side topper. BTW we have toppers and have never had to put in the slides because of winds affecting the toppers. Sure the toppers will make noise during windy days but we have gotten so used to it that we don't pay any attention to it anymore. I would rather the toppers than have to climb up to sweep off the slide top prior to closing them.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
This past July 4th. 2014 while camping at St. Vrain State Park near Longmont, Colorado, the park rangers came around the campground and warned everyone about high wind warnings in the area and the we should put up our awnings . . . which we did.

A few hours later, while sitting in the trailer watching TV, a strong microburst blew through the campground!

Shook our trailer bad!

I went outside to look around after it passed, and almost every camper and motorhome in our circle lost their awnings and slide toppers . . . ripped them to shreds!

Not ours, though . . .