Tank Heaters

Retyred

I have a 06 Grand Canyon with the tank heater option. I did not receive any iinstructions about this option when I received my unit. I wanted to know if all three holding tanks have the heaters, or is it only the Black tank. Are there any instructions avalible? Thanks
Retyred

linuxkidd

*BUMP*

Ok, I've got a similar question... I have the tank heater option on my Landmark Augusta. Are the heaters thermostatically controlled? Or do they stay on all the time? I've got mine turned off for now, but it's get'n cold again soon so I'll be turning them back on... Just curious how bad my power bill will be.. :)

LK

linuxkidd

I spoke with Heartland today about this..

Turns out.. If you have the Tank Heater option, all holding tanks are fitted with a holding tank heater, and they ARE thermostatically controlled. So, it's safe and non-energy consuming to leave them on all the time. They will turn on and off as needed.

LK

Last edited:

RGREEN

Heated Holding Tank Operation

Once these heaters are turned on they activate at approx. 44 degrees and radiate heat directly into the bottom of the tank to keep them from freezing, they are normally located where the drain is located. They will shut off when the tank temp reaches 64 degrees. They are also 12v, so you can leave them on while traveling to keep the tanks from freezing in transit. For added protection you can have a version of these heaters installed on your fresh water lines to insure that your water supply from the fresh water tank to the coach doesn't freeze up in cold whether. These types of heaters don't have the thermostat and only work when you turn the switch on. So you need to pay attention when using these, but they do a great job of thawing frozen lines and keeping the water flowing in really cold temps.

davebennington

I have Landmark/Golden Gate and after reading this post I checked our tank heater. It is powered by 110 ac only (this seems to be a disadvantage) not 12 volt. they maybe thermostatic controlled but I am not sure.

Dave

jbeletti

Hi Dave,

I think that being 110 VAC powered is a not much of a disadvantage for most RVers. When you think about how much time you spend camping in sub-freezing weather, most will find that this time is spent "with" shore power and therefore access to AC power for the pads.

For the boondocker, certainly, having 12 VDC heating pads is what you will want. But you'll need a battery bank that has the oomph to get the job done. Heating elements of most kinds are usually big current draws.

We're trying to gain access to the specs on the heating pads used on the products and when we have it, we'll post it up and we'll all be the wiser (voltage, thermostats etc.).

Thanks,

Jim

jbeletti

I confirmed that the tank heater pads are by UltraHeat. They are model TH-825. This is an OEM model so you will not find it on their website. My guess is the 825 refers to 8" wide x 25" long. See attached images of product and of the decal on the product. We've put a PDF together of this info and a bit more. It will appear on the HOOT soon.

Jim

Attachments

• DSC04344.JPG
    DSC04344.JPG
    738.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC04345.JPG
    DSC04345.JPG
    451.7 KB · Views: 31

fivernine

Jim, now I am a bit confused as to proper use. Linuxkidd reported the factory as saying that they are thermostatically controlled and can be left on all the time. Sometimes I have liquids in the tanks, other times not. The label you posted states in note 7, "Liquids must be in the tanks before turning on the tank heaters." rgreen gives some notes about 12V operation and an on/off temperature deadband that sounds strange (on at 44, off at 64, never heard of freeze protection with this control range?). I don't see any mention of tank heaters and their use in the manual that came with the Landmark. I would sure like to know that I'm not going to cook my valves and tank wall by having the heaters kick in with no liquid in the tank.

jbeletti

Let's let Coley weigh in on this one

fivernine,

I think to be absolutely certain, we'll need to have Coley weigh in on this.

99.9% sure I have this one right - the tank heaters are tank heating pads as I have described them below.

I spoke to Ron Green at his shop this week and he was thinking about the pads he puts on the Americana trailers his RV America shop builds. They use a tank heating pad that is different than what Heartland uses.

For now, don't turn on the switch unless you have liquid in the tanks. When you are ready to dump your tanks, turn the switches off first and leave them off until needed again later - when liquids are present in the tank.

Jim

fivernine

Thanks Jim and Linuxkidd. Probably the best move for now. I have had them on dry and haven't smelled any cooked poop, but certainly a case where we don't want to smoke 'em if we got 'em.

BluegrassMan

Guys:
I have a dumb question, where is the switch to turn the heaters on ? Me being blonde, I never thought to look.

jbeletti

Denny,

I think you have an '05 as well. Below is a picture of the switches in my '05 Landmark. The standard 110 VAC wall switch with the red switch handle on the right is mine. I marked it as it was unmarked from the factory.

DSC03869.jpg

jpmorgan37

Denny;

It was an option and had to be ordered. I don't have them in mine and never had a need for them (so far). And have survived the 14 degree mark with no problem.

John

rjhewitt

Mike and Robyn
Hi Jim,

We are winter camping/living (we are fulltimers) in our 08 3670RL. We were told we have tank heaters, but could find no reference to them in our manual. I saw your pic of your "command center" inside and we do not have a separate switch for the heaters. We only have the red button under the tank digital readouts. Is that for the tank heaters? How can I find out for sure?

Thank you,

Robyn

jpmorgan37

Robyn;

The single switch with the red toggle is the electric power for the hot water heater. If you have the tank heaters, that would be a separate switch. Make sure the hot water heater is full before you turn that switch on, otherwise you will burn out the heating element in a matter of seconds. There is also another switch on the hot water heater itself that has to be on in order for the electric to heat the hot water. On your tank monitor, there is another red switch. This is the propane switch for the hot water heater.

Hope this helps,

John

rjhewitt

Mike and Robyn
Thank you!

So safe to say we don't have tank heaters then. Well, can you recommend a plan for us? It is getting colder here and will be in the teens tonight again. Should we make sure the tanks are emptied before evening? We have the water hose heat taped and insulated and now will insulate the lowpoint drain. (After reading the threads in the forum, I see we are not alone with that problem. I just got the kitchen water running again. Both hot and cold were frozen.) Do you recommend connecting to the sewer and leaving the valves open rather then using the tanks? Should we insulate the sewer hose also if we do that?

First time winter camping- new to fulltime RVing. Husband travels for work, I work part time from the RV. We appreciate any expert advice! So far we love this life!

Robyn

jpmorgan37

Robyn;

Just follow the suggestions that we gave you in the other thread Here. This has worked well for both Michael (linuxkidd) and myself in sub freezing weather.

John

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
HOOT freeze protection

//heartlandowners.org/hoot/tips-howtos/menu-plm/54-plm-water/48-supply-freeze-prevention

Read this.