water heater bypass valves!!!!

kelvis19

I began winterizing my '08 3210 this afternoon only to find I couldn't locate the valves for bypassing the waterheater, simple question- Can you help me find them? Thanks.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
They should be on the back of the hot water heater. They will have a bypass hose in between for winterizing. Access is through a panel in the basement storage off door side.

kelvis19

Thanks for the pointer, the dealer showed me "behind this panel" however when I removed the panel he pointed out there weren't any valves. I'll be able to check again Saturday and hopefully have no problems, Thanks again.

truknutt

Committed Member
Winterizing the 3210

On the 3210 I was to pickup in October, I was told by the service folks, that the big blue handle in the UDC was the bypass valve for winterizing the rig which alleviated the need to pull panels open. Here is a pic of the UDC...

3210 UDC.jpg

Yours will probably be different as I have seen 4 different variations of the "2008 3210" since ordering mine in September of 2007. Hopefully this is the UDC that you have and will help.

kelvis19

I do have the blue handle, and I'll check behind the kitchen sink, I tried to look over the panel, but just couldn't stretch my neck that far. If the blue handle is the bypass that would be great! Thanks again for the help.

davelinde

I see this is a pretty old post... but I was also stumped by the instructions I got at PDI for winterizing too. On some investigating it looks like the HW bypass is a regular 3 valve configuration under the sink. To bypass the HWH you close the cold-in and hot-out and open the bypass. Then drain the HW tank from outside to drain it.

The UDC valve is to siphon anti-freeze but it does not save any effort... to siphon you need to open the access panel to pull out the hose to siphon (and btw - the hose looks too short to use). I've got a few months before I need to deal with this, but I'm hoping someone can confirm I've got it right.

viking4545

you got it right, you put the valve in winterize mode, pull off the panel in the storage compartment, put the little tube coming from the pump in some anti freeze, and push the pump button in the uds to suck just enough anti freeze to winterize the pump, providing you blew out the lines with air.

davelinde

you got it right, you put the valve in winterize mode, pull off the panel in the storage compartment, put the little tube coming from the pump in some anti freeze, and push the pump button in the uds to suck just enough anti freeze to winterize the pump, providing you blew out the lines with air.

I always pulled AF to all outlets and the low point drains, even after blowing the lines with air. Cheap insurance.

bdaddy88

On my 4012 the back of the water heater is accessed behind a kitchen cabinet under the sink.
Good Luck

Russell - How did gain access to the water heater bypass in your 4012? The back side of the cabinets appear to be 'finished' out on the living room side. I would hate to mess something up trying to gain access. Is there a 'trick' to getting in there? :confused:

Thanks,
Kirk
Round Rock, Tx

davelinde

hwh1.jpg

hwh2.jpg

I've seen this question a few times now and I know that my dealer was not clear on it with me during the PDI. I had the HWH access open for a recent leak and took some pics.

The panel comes out by removing the 3 screws shown in the first pic.

The second pic shows the three valves that are used to bypass. Close cold in and hot out and open the bypass valve to bypass. Reverse the process to use the HWH. I also put arrows at the two connections that seem to drip under there. Twice now I've just finger tightened them again and they were fine.

I do think other rigs are plumbed differently - but this is how mine looks.

russell

Sorry for the late response, haven't been checking the forum lately.
On my 4012 if you open the cabinet under the kitchen sink and remove the panel on the right side you can access the valves behind the water heater.

Russ