And why batteries are not charging

Hello to everyone. We have a 2010 Elkridge 29RKSA. Our batteries (2 with a disconnect switch) are not being charged by the inverter/converter. We have essentially lost power to all DC devices. I can charge the batteries with my Honda generator, but that is not a good situation. First questions is ...............where the **** is the inverter/converter? I have checked the circuit panel and all switches are on and there are no red lights showing blown fuses. I did have on fuse loose but that has been fixed. Also I fear that I may have a loose connection somewhere because when I drop one of the "slam hatches" the lights will come back bright (as in batteries being fully charged) for about 3 seconds or so and then dim right back down. Any and all thoughts are appreciated

danemayer

Re: Aand why batteries are not charging

Hi RoadToads2013,

I'm not familiar with your floor plan, but most of the 5th wheels have the Power Converter behind the rear basement storage wall. It's typically located somewhere between the fuse box and the battery.

If your 12V lights, refrigerator, thermostat, furnace don't work even when plugged in to shore power, until you charge the batteries, and then they work for a while, that would be a good indication that the Power Converter is a) unplugged, b) has tripped its circuit breaker, c) has blown fuses on the converter itself, or d) has failed and no longer puts out 12V.

when I drop one of the "slam hatches" the lights will come back bright (as in batteries being fully charged) for about 3 seconds or so

This makes me wonder if you have a loose battery cable/bad connection at the battery post, or perhaps a loose connection where the batteries are connected to frame ground.

Our owner-written 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide may help you figure this out. There's a diagnostic flowchart that could help pinpoint the problem.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

The converter is usually someplace close to the breaker panel and behind it. You may have to remove the basement walls to get to it. It has fuses on it that may need attention. If your 12v systems are working, then at least the converter is plugged in and functioning.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

You will also want to check the 12 neutral buss bar for loose connections.
Since things seem to work for a few seconds, a loose wire somewhere is a good possibility.

Peace
Dave

olcoon

On our Elk Ridge 27RLSS, (smaller than yours) the converter/inverter is behind the bulkhead on the door side, right along the outside wall. Like John said usually it will be behind the breaker panel. You'll need to remove the breaker panel to see it, might be a good idea to disconnect the power cable before you remove it so you don't get zapped. Also on ours, where the converter/inverter is located, there is a vent on the basement bulkhead for ventilation. I'm putting a couple of photos on here to possibly help you. These were from recently installing a hardwired EMS.
IMG_0362.jpgIMG_0361.jpg