Due to dealer - we did not accept '14 Landmark San Antonio

Chiefcpo

Will be doing the pre buy PDI on Friday any point I really need to check. Know the Big Sky Keystone line but this is mt first HL product and it has more bells than whistles. Thanks in advance
Bob.

jimtoo

Re: Landmark San Anonio 2014 PDI

Hi Bob,

When you go for the PDI just check from front to rear,, top to bottom. Take your time and don't let the dealer rush you. If possible even camp at the dealer for a day or so.

Enjoy the forum and your new Landmark. The Heartland family is here if you need help with anything.

Jim M

kowAlski631

Best advice we got was to take LOTS of notes & take a video of the more complex explanations. Ask questions if you don't understand something until you do.

Also, never accept "I don't know" or "I'm not sure" as an answer to your questions. Ask them to get you an answer if it's something you will need immediately or log on here.

Finally, take pictures of anything you find needing repair or adjustment.

Just what we did in our PDI a year ago.

Martha

GlenStMary

I'd suggest you turn everything on and off to insure that it works, doesn't leak, or even it exists. We even tried our stereos, the TVs, and even our Yeti package. We found out the coach we had signed for didn't have the Yeti package, even though the sales person said it did, and there was even a switch in the panel they said was for the Yeti. We ended up having them prep another coach, which we did purchase after we knew it had what we wanted. The suggestion to try to camp in it either on their lot, or close by, is a really good way to test everything and your knowledge of the workings of the unit. Good luck and I know you will enjoy that product.

kkamshop

One of the most frustrating problems that can pop up in new units is water leaks. Have them hook up the city water, use all the faucets, then open the door to access the plumbing in the storage bay so you can check for loose connections behind the UDC. Then switch to putting water in the tanks and using the water pump, check again.
Don't forget to run the hot water also...
After the water has been connected for a while, check under the sinks and make sure all is nice and dry. Examine the drain pipes where they connect to the sinks. Open the shower water panel access and also the outdoor shower access.

We had a couple of loose connections on ours that we fixed no damage done, but NOT finding one that leaks could be a bummer!

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS on your new San Antonio and welcome to the Heartland family :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

We recently purchased a new 2013 Landmark San Antonio and love it. We did find several water connections loose (not leaking) and the pocket door in the to the bedroom bounced off the track while traveling bending the track. The dining room chair broke when we sat in it because there were not screws in any of the chairs to hold them together (Heartland is sending us new ones). I went around the inside and outside and retightened all screws including the ones in the windows finding many of them slightly loose (probably due to travel). The suggestions of camping a night or two to check it out thoroughly is a great idea. The other issue we are having is the fresh water sloshing out the vents which are under the slides. I am in the process of putting cutoff valves to keep the water in the tank when traveling. All in all the issues we have found are minor and be sure to check you unit closely to be certain everything works as it is supposed to and stay in the unit for a night or two as soon as possible. BTW congratulations on your new San Antonio.

PS Be sure to as the dealer if they made the correction with the level up system. There is a fix for the popping from the system. It is by removing about a quart of hydraulic fluid from the reservoir and replace it with motorcycle fork fluid. This is a fix that Lippert authorized. We did it ourselves.

Chiefcpo

Will not be the owner as Dixie rv in Fl. just was not ready for a proper PDI. No LP, no water hook up items that we talked aout 3 weeks ago not take care of and the service manager was clueless about the requirement of alinement of the axles as required by Heartland (Ron Davenport) e-mailed me the information.
The kid that was asigned the PDI had not ever looked at the unit and informed me that the time alloted for the PDI is one hour and they had the pdi 20 point check list that would be used. Well they have the unit and I stil have my money so guess it is best.
Thanks to all who posted useful information and things to look/inspect.

danemayer

Re: Landmark San Antonio 2014 PDI

the service manager was clueless about the requirement of alinement of the axles as required by Heartland
First I've heard about Heartland "requirement" to align axles. The Correct Track allows partial alignment of axles if they're not tracking evenly front-to-rear - which is primarily due to uneven weight distribution. Only a relatively small number of dealers around the country (mostly Camping Worlds) have the equipment and training to check and adjust the Correct Track, so it's not surprising that the service manager wouldn't know about it. And I believe the Lippert engineer who works on Correct Track has suggested that adjustments should be made on a trailer as it's loaded for travel, which would be a different alignment than doing so on an empty trailer.

You may have made a good decision with respect to the dealer's approach to PDI, but I wouldn't take him to task over axle alignment.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders

Will not be the owner as Dixie rv in Fl. just was not ready for a proper PDI. No LP, no water hook up items that we talked aout 3 weeks ago not take care of and the service manager was clueless about the requirement of alinement of the axles as required by Heartland (Ron Davenport) e-mailed me the information.
The kid that was asigned the PDI had not ever looked at the unit and informed me that the time alloted for the PDI is one hour and they had the pdi 20 point check list that would be used. Well they have the unit and I stil have my money so guess it is best.
Thanks to all who posted useful information and things to look/inspect.

Sorry to hear about your failed PDI. I think you made the right decision to "walk away" from the unit. Camping World in Ft. Myers tried the same "one hour time allotted PDI" for our camper. I told them it was totally unacceptable. We had them put us up in a near by campground for two nights and then proceeded to move everything from our old Landmark into our new San Antonio. Got half way done, pulled the new rig to the campground, spent the night testing systems, looking in basement behind the access panel, etc. Next day we came back and finished moving our of old into new. Took the whole day including having their techs fix a couple of "finds" from our PDI. Made them put us up in same campground a second night, just to "retest" our unit before leaving the third day. I'm still not sure I did enough to satisfy my PDI list when all was said and done, but sure did a whole lot more than they wanted me to do. Don't let anyone tell you you've got an hour for a pdi. It's no where near the time necessary.

kowAlski631

Good call. A good dealer should not tell you what YOUR PDI will or will not cover & more than an hour is needed to do a PDI. If they're trying to rush you through, there's probably items they know of that will require you to return for adjustment. Personally, I would not return to that dealer.

Martha

wdk450

I just thought of something I am not sure is on anybody's PDI lists - Checking the dump valves.

Theresau

Our dealer for the BC was cagey about our doing a PDI. Kept telling me "not" to bring a long list with me - there wouldn't be enough time. Said we could stay there a couple of days (but this would have been after the closing) to check it out.

We insisted on a pre-check of the BC that we did alone. We went through it thoroughly including all the mechanicals, etc. and gave them a list of our findings.

We then went to what they considered their walkthrough which was supposed to be post their PDI.

So glad we did the pre-check because it was obvious they had done a very sketchy PDI. And they did very little if any prep - coach wasn't even washed.

We then again went through it with a fine tooth comb and they corrected things as we did it. So we never had a real walkthrough - they were too busy fixing things and washing it. We didn't spend the evening - just wanted to get it home...it was obvious that their service was below par.

MCTalley

We bought our Big Country from the same dealer (Dixie RV in Florida), and our PDI experience was the exact opposite. Though we spent less than two hours walking through our coach, it was with not only one of the service techs, but at times our salesman as well. They encouraged us to spend the night on the lot and that they would fix anything we found the next day (Saturday).

We only found a couple minor items overnight and they promptly sent out a service tech to fix those the next morning. We were on our way by noon with a perfectly fine coach.

It may be that they've changed in the last year since we purchased our Big Country there, but we have been satisfied with our PDI experience as well as a couple follow-up warranty visits with them.

JanAndBill

Unfortunately all dealers are not created equal. When we took delivery of our previous unit SOB, the dealer had a designated person responsible for doing the walk through/training. This person flipped every switch, opened every door, and showed us how to operate "everything" in the coach. He knew everything about our unit and answered every question without hesitation. We had no warranty issues at all with the unit. When we did the PDI on the Big Horn, (another dealer), the salesman and the service manager split the duty. Unfortunately neither one knew much about the operation of the unit. In fact, because of our previous research on the unit, we were telling them how many things worked. We also found many little things on our Big Country that should have been caught in advance of our PDI.

Theresau

That is the same experience we had with our 2010 BH. The service person that did the walkthrough was totally familiar with the RV - had read up on what was included, etc. and had tested everything. He also prepped the coach as well. We had only very minor issues afterward. This dealer gets an incredible amount of service work.

However, it was just the opposite with the dealer for our 2014 BC - the service person knew little about our BC (didn't even know it had a remote) and had done no prep and again it wasn't even washed - we had to ask for it to be washed. They even missed a very badly cracked toilet (porcelain) and that the screen door was missing the slider. We had to do a great deal of fixing afterward. This dealer isn't even listed in te Dometic list of approved servicers. We went with this dealer because they were an internet dealer and we were in FL during the start of the transaction.

Unfortunately all dealers are not created equal. When we took delivery of our previous unit SOB, the dealer had a designated person responsible for doing the walk through/training. This person flipped every switch, opened every door, and showed us how to operate "everything" in the coach. He knew everything about our unit and answered every question without hesitation. We had no warranty issues at all with the unit. When we did the PDI on the Big Horn, (another dealer), the salesman and the service manager split the duty. Unfortunately neither one knew much about the operation of the unit. In fact, because of our previous research on the unit, we were telling them how many things worked. We also found many little things on our Big Country that should have been caught in advance of our PDI.

donr827

I purchased my trailer from Lazydays outside of Tampa. Their PDI mechanic did a great job and showed me the check list that they use. I watched him checking all the fittings in the udc and in the trailer. He also check all of the tanks and valves for any leaks, When I did my PDI I found a around 6 items, like loose screws, which were taken care of quickly. He did mention to me that Heartland trailers are known as leakers by the other PDI mechanic. Mostly loose water connections.
Don

mobilcastle

I bought mine used but in excellent condition. If I were buying new, I would look it over very carefully-these rigs are expensive and I don't think it should be a rush job! JMHO:cool: