Minimizing Travel Anxiety in Dogs?

ross0547

Hi Pet Lovers! We have an 11 year old Cockapoo who thoroughly loves RVing as you can imagine, but hates the truck travel. Shivering, whining, can't settle down. We have a dog basket between us in the cab. We even tried a half Gravol pill once, but that didn't work. Seems she's anxious going away and a little better going home. Has anyone tried the security blanket/body wrap? Any other ideas??

kowAlski631

We use the Thundershirt on the pug when we leave them alone in the BH. It works very well. Haven't needed it in the truck since they both settle right down & go to sleep. We are full timers & move a lot, so that might be a plus for us.

Believe there's a return policy if it doesn't work. Good luck.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
In almost three years of fulltiming we have tried car seats, tethers in the seats and several other things for our Yorkie and Silkie.
We now find letting the dogs travel in a crate down low in the back seat with the seat folded down, seems to work the best. Lower center of gravity and less movement. What they can't see, seems to get them less excited and they just rest, or sleep most of the time.

Now "Goodgirl" our 30 year old Amazon Parrot is another story. She loves looking out the windows and is always happy riding in the truck.
We put her crate up high in the back seat, so she can see out all the windows. Trace

Last edited:

DocFather

I don't have any pets, but maybe try to get this guy's email address. I have been watching his reruns on Nat Geo Wild (I am bored) and he travels a lot with his dogs in both an RV and cars and vans. He is awesome, in my opinion. Just an idea.

$(KGrHqEOKooE1z-8RvL)BNsH5uOQgw~~_35.JPG

porthole

Retired
Hi Pet Lovers! We have an 11 year old Cockapoo who thoroughly loves RVing as you can imagine, but hates the truck travel. Shivering, whining, can't settle down. We have a dog basket between us in the cab. We even tried a half Gravol pill once, but that didn't work. Seems she's anxious going away and a little better going home. Has anyone tried the security blanket/body wrap? Any other ideas??

If at 11 years the pup is still anxious, don't know what you will be able to do.

But, I would try making it a fun time for the dog. Make every trip a new adventure, a walk every two hours wile traveling to check out all the new smells at rest stops.

Once at the campground a good walk. Our dogs get lots of walks while camping, so they have become accustomed to having fun when we go.

They get really ramped up now when I start the process of hooking up to the truck.

If conditioning doesn't work and the dog is still stressed, meds maybe.

Previous dogs we have had that were thunder phobic responded to no type of conditioning except meds.

Long drawn out storms one of our Golden's was given ACE. Shorter storms or 4th of July type stuff she got Valium.
http://fearfuldogs.com/acepromazine/

The Valium did not last long in the system. The ACE would affect them for 1-2 days.

And as with everything else in life, there is more then one school of thought with meds. Some believe that is the only way to help protect the animal from hurting themselves. Others believe that all the meds do is keep the animal from responding, but they are still experiencing the fear.

We have had two very thunder-noise phobic dogs and it is no picnic. Some here saw one of our pups when a thunderstorm popped up in Delaware a few years ago.
When you see how dangerous it can be for an anxious dog you can understand the need for meds.

Some think the blanket-anxiety wraps work. Personally I don't think they do, but - you never know unless you try.
The "pheromone" sprays or treatments may be another alternative. Again, they didn't work for us, but your mileage may vary.
http://www.petco.com/product/10534/Comfort-Zone-Diffuser-with-DAP-for-Dogs.aspx

Our guys - letting loose to get going.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkkHOfFYct8&list=PLW4L0SIJusW45qk2O9tkP2OMuCRKuSzYU

JanAndBill

Our 10 yr old Boxer is a great traveler, put her in the truck and she's pretty much out like a light. If she is awake, she's pretty laid back watching the world go by. Our 13 yr old Brittany is the extreme oposite. All the movement going by the windows puts her on visual overload as she tries to take everything in at once. If we plan on traveling more than a couple of hours she gets a "happy" pill. Makes it a lot less stressful on her and us.

ross0547

Hi Everyone! Thanks for all your ideas; we will try some, esp. putting the kennel in the back seat, on the floor-I hadn't thought of that location. Today we went for a 30 miles drive IN THE SNOW (now I'M anxious), and Molly was anxious going out, better coming back to the RV.

KRCyclone

Check out Rescue Remedy. Should be able to get it at most pet stores and health food stores. It is an all natural sedative.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Today we went for a 30 miles drive IN THE SNOW (now I'M anxious), and Molly was anxious

Someone mentoned Cesar Milan. DW has watched every one of his shows at least twice. One thing I have learned, is your animals have heightened senses and they can tell if you are anxious. Even if you are, try to stay as calm as possible and this may help also. Trace

Last edited:

Manzan

When we had pets we took them with us almost every time we went someplace in the car starting with a rid to the corner grocery store. Called it practicing and soon no problems at all no matter how long the trip.

our 11 yr old American eskimo gets sick when we travel very far so a vet told us to use Benadryl and it did work very well we did have a vet give us a pill that would knock her out and we didn't like to see her like that but the Benadryl works really good Joel

Eddhuy

Our three dogs love camping and sleep most of the way in the truck. We make the back seat of the truck into a large bed for them and take them for walks on longer trips. You just have to be careful if you mention the word camping too soon while at home. If we start loading clothes and food into the FW, Coko the older Lab mix, expects to go camping and sits at the door waiting to go. All three dogs adopted well to car riding as puppies; while in crates.

mobilcastle

Our Shelties are always ready to jump in the truck to go camping. They lay down in the back seat and sleep most the way there-what a life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Gertie

Sure hope you find a remedy that works for you and your dog. It's no fun to have any member of the family unhappy during a trip, and I'm sure it causes you a lot of anxiety, too. Our two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels travel well, and I don't know what I'd do if they didn't. I'd be looking for anything that might take care of the problem safely. There are a lot of good suggestions here, and I hope one of them will be just the right thing for you and your much-loved pooch!

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Rescue remedy works well and when that doesnt, I use another all natural product called D.A.P. and it comes in collar form for such purposes as traveling.
I have used this on my rescues who are anxious when they first come into our home.. You can find it in good pet supply companies and on line.