How long to prime the water lines?

TxCowboy

Stored my 32RL last summer (2012) (drained all the tanks) and kept the fresh water tank about 1/3 full. Due to work commitments, it hasn't been used this year. Periodically, I'd run water from the freshwater tank through the kitchen and bathroom faucets (to keep the P-traps moist) and through the toilet (to keep the seal moist). Yesterday, I drained and flushed the black, grey, and freshwater tanks and refilled the freshwater tank to about 1/3 full. I opened the hot & cold faucets in the kitchen and bath then turned on the water pump. I could hear the pump but, after about 30 minutes, all I was getting was spitting and air noise from the faucets. Am I doing something wrong? How long should it take to prime the water lines? (Note: There's no issue with water running through the hot or cold faucets in either the bath or kitchen when a hose is connected to the "city water" connector.)

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
If you have the 4 way water valve in the UDC you might want to check and make sure you still dont have it in the fill mode. If you do your pump will cycle but no water comes out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

Tried to post a pic of the UDC but no luck. Anyway, the UDC has the following: outdoor shower, fresh water connect with a vent, city water connection, and the pull values for waste water and two grey water tanks, plus the various cable connections ports. I'm not seeing a selector value for a 4 way water value.

brianharrison

You probably do not have a 4-way Anderson valve. I think they came out late 2012 or early 2013 models.

Priming the water pump from the fresh water tank can be a bit of a PITA. I turn off all taps, turn on the pump, and vary the opening of a tap in the bathroom (where I can hear the pump running) - Sometimes pumps like the right amount of back pressure to assist in sucking up the water from the fresh tank.

Hope this helps.
Brian

danemayer

If the pump is running and there's water in the tank but all you're getting is air and a little spitting, you probably have an air leak. The winterizing valve in the UDC may be partially open (the one that lets you suck antifreeze in), which would let air in, or you may have a loose connection at the pump itself.

TxCowboy

You probably do not have a 4-way Anderson valve. I think they came out late 2012 or early 2013 models.

Priming the water pump from the fresh water tank can be a bit of a PITA. I turn off all taps, turn on the pump, and vary the opening of a tap in the bathroom (where I can hear the pump running) - Sometimes pumps like the right amount of back pressure to assist in sucking up the water from the fresh tank.

Hope this helps.
Brian
Brian, I'll give this a try. Thanks!!

TxCowboy

I checked my publications and this unit is supposed to have a self-priming water pump. Wanted to post this above but, for some reason, I can't put a hard return into this text field. :confused:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wanted to post this above but, for some reason, I can't put a hard return into this text field. :confused:
Are you using Win 8 and IE 10?
If so, that's the problem.
Try using Chrome from the desktop mode.

Peace
Dave

TxCowboy

Anyone have other suggestions about what might be the issue with priming these lines? And where winterization valve might be located? Is it behind the panel in the pass-thru basement?

olcoon

Don't know if you've checked it or not, but I'd suspect you've got an air leak, like Dan said. A leak could be in one of the screw in fittings, or there could be a loose Pex connection. On our Elk Ridge, There is a panel located under the refer that I've got to remove to winterize. The valves to winterize are behind it, on the hot water heater. It's got 4 screws I've got to remove, you might check to see if you've got a similar set-up. If you can't find the valves, you might want to give Heartland a call to find out where they are. It probably would be a good idea to have your VIN handy because they'll ask for it.

danemayer

Anyone have other suggestions about what might be the issue with priming these lines? And where winterization valve might be located? Is it behind the panel in the pass-thru basement?
Location varies by model. If you have a Universal Docking Center (UDC) where all the water inputs and cable/satellite inputs are clustered, it's usually toward the bottom. If you don't have a UDC, it's probably close to the water pump, which is usually beind the rear panel in the pass-thru basement. And that's also where the pump will usually be.

There are only a few screws holding the panel in place. If you have trouble locating them, a magnet will probably help.

If the valve is in the UDC, it's the most likely cause. If the valve is behind the panel, and no one's been in there, it's more likely to be a loose connection on the pump, or maybe a clogged filter on the input side.

TxCowboy

Location varies by model. If you have a Universal Docking Center (UDC) where all the water inputs and cable/satellite inputs are clustered, it's usually toward the bottom. If you don't have a UDC, it's probably close to the water pump, which is usually beind the rear panel in the pass-thru basement. And that's also where the pump will usually be.

There are only a few screws holding the panel in place. If you have trouble locating them, a magnet will probably help.

If the valve is in the UDC, it's the most likely cause. If the valve is behind the panel, and no one's been in there, it's more likely to be a loose connection on the pump, or maybe a clogged filter on the input side.
Found the water pump through the access panel in the basement. I wasn't able to located a filter which should be between the filler port and the pump but will check again after I unload all the stuff from the basement and crawl in there. ;)

TxCowboy

Don't know if you've checked it or not, but I'd suspect you've got an air leak, like Dan said. A leak could be in one of the screw in fittings, or there could be a loose Pex connection. On our Elk Ridge, There is a panel located under the refer that I've got to remove to winterize. The valves to winterize are behind it, on the hot water heater. It's got 4 screws I've got to remove, you might check to see if you've got a similar set-up. If you can't find the valves, you might want to give Heartland a call to find out where they are. It probably would be a good idea to have your VIN handy because they'll ask for it.
Removed this panel under the frig and did not locate a winterization value. The furnace takes up most of the space under the refrig and then there's a insulated water tank that has a hose coming off the front top edge but it's blocked by a wooden brace.

TxCowboy

Should have added to the above postings that the pump is a Shurflo model 2088-422-144, which is a self-priming pump.

danemayer

Found the water pump through the access panel in the basement. I wasn't able to located a filter which should be between the filler port and the pump but will check again after I unload all the stuff from the basement and crawl in there. ;)
The filter is right where the input line connects to the pump. Check that the input connection and filter basket are hand tight.

If you can't locate the valve for the antifreeze suction line, you may want to call your dealer or call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The filter may be attached to the pump and is pretty small. It may look something like this:
th

danemayer

If you find that filter, that's the input side feeding water into the pump. If you follow that line, you should find a tee fitting. One side of the tee will go to the fresh tank. The other side will go to the antifreeze suction line. The valve you're looking for is between the tee and the suction hose.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
The filter is right where the input line connects to the pump. Check that the input connection and filter basket are hand tight.

If you can't locate the valve for the antifreeze suction line, you may want to call your dealer or call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Open the basement panel and follow the incoming winterization line. It should go to a switchable valve. That valve may not be completely closed, letting air into the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD