Storing the generator

OtterMN

I am winterizing my Cyclone 3950 for the first time. I was planning on dumping in a few gallons of non-oxygenated fuel and running it for a while to get it into the carb, good plan, or? Thanks!

GOTTOYS

Good idea but...be sure to add some Seafoam or Stabil to the gas before you pour it in...It will keep it from gumming up the carburetor which is incidentally the #1 reason why small engines won't start..Actually if you don't use the genny much it isn't a bad idea to add this to every tank of gas. I learned this from a motorcycle dealer who said even his new bikes would gum up after a month or two of just sitting on the floor. I used Seafoam in My Honda Gold Wing that I owned for 16 years. Never once had any carb trouble or had to go into the carbs for any reason....Don

OtterMN

Thanks Don, I am told (by many) that if you use non-oxygenated gas that you don't need Stabil. It should be good for two years or more without gumming up.

GOTTOYS

Maybe....but why take the chance? I've seen it go bad years ago when they had no ethanol..Don

porthole

Retired
Thanks Don, I am told (by many) that if you use non-oxygenated gas that you don't need Stabil. It should be good for two years or more without gumming up.

As susceptible as these carbs are to bad gas, I would not take a chance.

I add Sta-Bil every time I fill the tank, as I don't know how long it may sit.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I use Stabil every time I buy gas whether for the RV or the lawnmower. I've had gas go bad in as little as 3 weeks without it. I also pump as much of the remaining gas out of the RV when I winterize then run the generator til it runs out of gas. The less fuel you have in the tank over the winter the better off you are.

RoadJunkie

I start my Honda generator once a month and close the vent valve until it reaches fuel starvation and stops running. The theory being the carb in then dry.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I use Stabil every time I buy gas whether for the RV or the lawnmower. I've had gas go bad in as little as 3 weeks without it. I also pump as much of the remaining gas out of the RV when I winterize then run the generator til it runs out of gas. The less fuel you have in the tank over the winter the better off you are.

In an aluminum tank, doesn't less fuel in the tank mean more chance of condensation forming? This is what I always heard back in my boating days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk