Big Horn vs Big Country

Rodstar06

We are looking at both these models. So far the insulation seems to be the main difference. Any input on these two models would be appreciated.
Heartland 5ers certainly look like a well built trailer. Alot of people are trying to tell us Jayco Designer but it doesn't look like the same quality, and they lack standard options. We will be attending the RV show in Virginia in Jan, so I guess we will make our decision there. Right now though Heartland is leading the pack.
We lack RV experience so any thoughts would be welcomed.

azbound

Can't respond to the difference between the Big Country and BigHorn, didn't really look at the BC. However I can speak to the BH vs. Designer.
Compare the craftsmanship, quality of the cabinet's ( real hardwood vs. wrapped ) the standard features vs. options, price and last but not least the support of a company that stand behind its product. The local Jayco dealer also just became a Heartland dealer. I was his first BH sale. When we did the PDI the tech was very complimentary regarding his perception of Heartlands quality. His words Man this is one well built trailer. The sales person was also excited and looking forward to getting more trailers in stock. Mine was ordered and he had not seen one prior to mine being delivered. When I was ordering my trailer he keap suggesting I should really consider a designer, now he understands why I stuck with the BH.

In my opinion, there is no real comparison. bottom line if Heartland has the floor plan you want, do a real comparison and and let the quality be the decider.

Good luck.

todalake

We looked at both Bighorn and Big Country. Let me try to give you the differences I saw.
1.BH - Solid counter tops BC-Wood trim counter tops
2.BH - Sink covers matched counter top BC-Generic plastic sink covers
3.BH - Manually control which slide to put out if wanted - Could be handy
BC - No control - all 3 got out one after the other
4. BH - Solid wood stiles - I think that is the cabinet framework
BC - Baltic wood stiles - Think that is not as good as solid wood
5. BH - Basement has hard rubber pad with tie downs
BC - Basement is carpet
6. BH - End cap is same thing as front cap - ABS? - no bumper
BC - End cap is like the sides with bumper
7. BH- Convection combination with microwave vent hood
BC - Microwave vent hood only
8. BH - Overhead cabinets over the table and bedroom counter
BC - No overhead cabinets in those areas
9. BH - Flat screen tv
BC - Conventional tv
10. BH - Might have been a bedroom TV
BC - No bedroom TV but place for it
11. BH - Had more options available
12. BH & BC now have same docking station for 2008
13. Looked like same furniture in both
14. I think the guts underneath was the same.
15. Insulation - I think they are close or the same.
Units are changing from year to year or even mid year. Same model, same year could have differences. I know the docking station changed on the 2007 330RL from start of year to mid year.

I probably missed serveral things that I'm sure others will point out. Dealer had both and said about 5K more for BH3055RL than BC3300RL. We liked the floor plan of BC. I stayed with BC and got dual pane windows, heavier axles/tires and electric rear jacks. Wouldn't get electric rear jacks next time. It is one big sissor jack and both pads go down at same time. Have to use boards if not level. THouhgt would be individual jacks like the front. Dealer was switching from Montana line to Heartland and of course he thought Heartland was better. He had several new Montanas on the lot but didn't push them.

Kinda of wordy but hope it helps.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
As you can see by our signature, we have a BH 3400RL. My wife has seen the Big Country with the rear bunkhouse area that is almost like a second room. She wants one. She thinks, and she's right, that it would be a great crafting area. Me, I want maximum livability and open area. I think there is also a BC floorplan that has a second bath area. Very Cool! As far as Jayco Designer, I believe they make a good trailer but priced considerably more than Heartland and without the level of factory support. Good luck with your decision and either way, BH or BC, I think you'll be getting a great 5th wheel.

Rodstar06

Thanks for the great response guys. We have been leaning toward the Big Horn anyway. We did look at Carriage also, but did some reading on the Carriage site on Yahoo, seems they have some problems with bowed slides. So, guess Big Horn is still ahead of the pack. We are going to a show in Chantilly, Va in Jan. Maybe make our final decision there. Thanks again

navyAZ1

We have had our BH since April and can't say enough good stuff about it, we really love it. We had a Crossroads Cruiser prior to this and needed more interior space since I am working from the road alot now we fell in love with the 3055RL. As it was stated in an earlier post the difference in the BC and the BH are a lot of added amenities that make our life on the road very comfortable. We have not been sorry we made the trade originally I thought "we don't need this much coach" but we have never been happier I have spent up to 14 hrs a day working on drawings in here and have never felt cramped or closed in on. Plus the workmanship at least on ours has been great there have been a few minor problems but Heartland and our dealer McDounogh RV in GA have been great they make us feel like we are their only customer a really good group of folks. Good luck with your choice.

GaryB

In addition to the differences noted above, I found out the Big Horn has aluminum roof trusses, whereas the Big Country has wood roof trusses. This was per C. Brady at the factory.

Also the BH has additional optional features. You cannot get gel coat (high gloss fiberglass) exterior walls or a convection microwave (at least from factory) with the BC, whereas you can with the BH (gel coat is optional, convection micro. is standard on BH). I also found that many of the other BH options that aren't listed as options on the BC can indeed be ordered as options on the BC (despite not being listed), such as 2nd AC unit, leather recliners, TrailAir pinbox.

Gary

WRIGHT ll

retired Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
We have a Bighorn 3400RE which we got kind of late in the season and ,because of other things going on, we only got to take it out once but we did really enjoy the time we used it. The biggest reason we went with the Bighorn 3400RE was the fact that we don't have to re-align the recliners when we close the slides. There are a lot of similarities between both units. I think the most differences are "hidden" in that they are things like the roof trusses and undercarriage, etc. IMHO you won't go wrong either way. OP

ccd001

2008 Big Horn 30055/2007 Chev hd duramax

In Sept. we traded our 2007 Dutchman Colorado 31m5 for our 2008
Big Horn 3055. The 07 Colorado gave us nothing but trouble from 08/2007
till we traded it off after warranty ran out. We have used our Big Horn
5 times since we bought it and have had no problems. It's a fine coach
I've noticed how well it tows and the trailair suspension is awesome.
Also the fit and finish is the best I've seen. The tv has a super clear hd
picture and the antenna is digital so you get the local channels in hd. The recliners are very comfortable and the air hideabed is nice. When I decided to trade my main concern was quality and I've got it with the
Big Horn. We did looked at the Big Country but we thought they didn't
compare on the inside and I liked the rear molded cap on the Big Horn.
I don't see how you can go wrong with a Heartland product. I hope this
helps you.
CD

jsmwrm

Just Ordered a Big Horn 3400RL

Have been 5th wheel shopping for 4 months looking to upgrade from a 33' Challenger. Thought we were sold on a Montana, then looked at the Jayco designer....and thought it was better made. But when we found the Big Horn dealer Thursday, we were very, very impressed with the workmanship of it, plus the great floorplan and kitchen area! So....needless to say....we placed a order for a new one the following day as the one we fell in love with was sold! Should arrive in about 6 weeks!

Spring in Illinois is just around the corner....like 3months!None

jsmwrm

Just Ordered a Big Horn 3400RL

Have been 5th wheel shopping for 4 months looking to upgrade from a 33' Challenger. Thought we were sold on a Montana, then looked at the Jayco designer....and thought it was better made. But when we found the Big Horn dealer Thursday, we were very, very impressed with the workmanship of it, plus the great floorplan and kitchen area! So....needless to say....we placed a order for a new one the following day as the one we fell in love with was sold! Should arrive in about 6 weeks!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
jsmwrm said:

Welcome to the Heartland family. Enjoy the forum and your new rig when it arrives. Don't go crazy waiting to use it:p.

skip52

I noticed this blog was dated 12/29/07. I hope you have used your BH many times over. When you wrote, it sounded like something my husband and I could have written. We have looked at a lot of fiver's and kept going back to the BH. Needless to say, we will be picking ours up in 2/1/2 weeks. We are nearing retirement and the open road has always called us. Have you attended rally's?

jimtoo

Welcome to the Heartland Family skip52. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed. Now the hard part is coming.... waiting to go and pickup your new toy. Just remember,,, do a really good PDI when you go. check everything from top to bottom, make sure everything works and you know how to work it. don't let them rush you through.

Enjoy the forum and your new BigHorn.

Jim M