No Heat In Bedroom and Bathroom

Leep

Hi, this is my first post..We have a 2013 Sundance XLT and the furnace works well but in the bathroom and bedroom the heat isn't there..A little heat , barely moving comes out of the floor registers, but the other heat ducts,(Small plastic circles), throw great heat..
Any Ideas..??..
Thanks..

danemayer

Hi Leep,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and congratulations on your new Sundance.

You'll need to take a look at the ducts coming out of the furnace and going to the bathroom and bedroom. Sounds like maybe they're disconnected or kinked. On many trailers, taking down the rear wall in the pass-through storage area will give you access to the back side of the furnace and the ductwork.

PickNorm

I took the wall down in the storage space /passthrough and the duct to the bathroom was way too log and bent almost in half..I took it off, measured it, cut it and reattached it..The duct going to the bedroom was ok, straight ..But, I still have almost no detectable heat in either the bathroom or bedroom..I read somewhere that it might not be attached at the furnace..But, my understanding is you need to take down the whole underbelly to get to it as it is all one piece..The Heartland place here in Butte charges $100 an hour and there is no way I will pay that..I guess i will just point the round heating ? duct or whatever it is called on the side of the sink and point it upstairs...This is a factory problem and I don't think I should have to pay to have it fixed.There should be enough quality control at the factory to assure this doesn't happen..If they screw this up, what else do they mess up>??

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi PickNorm,

Maybe if you tell us what model you have someone could help you with your problem. Maybe someone with the same unit can give us an idea as to how the ducts are routed.

Also,, have you called Heartland Customer Service? With prior and proper authorization Heartland will pay independent repair folks to make necessary repairs.

Jim M

PickNorm

Hi Jim, it is a 2013 Sundance XLT 287RL 5th wheel..We bought it last summer at Lakeshore Rv, really good people..We parked it beside the house and just started using it last month..It is a really nice fiver except for this problem...Someone said they can get to the furnace by going through the wall in the passthrough... I had them both down but didn't see the furnace..It is located under the sink inside and I thought it would be too far back to reach from there..
Thanks for any help..
Norm.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sounds like you may still be in your one year warranty period? Contact HL and see if they can recommend a service option (mobile tech or other service center close to you).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PickNorm

I don't think so..Even though it was a 2013 when I bought it , it was still a used unit..And they guy who was handling the sale lost his Mom while I was enroute to Michigan from Montana and no one there ever gave me any info on warranty's or anything else now that i think of it.

wildcat11

Similar problem here with our 2011 Big Horn 2985RL. Opened the pass through door in the garage and found out 2 out of 3 ducts were connected to the furnace and the 3rd was not. It either was and was disconnected or broke off somehow. Now, there is not enough duct to connect up to the furnace. Called Heartland and they are sending us some additional duct that we can connect with. Geesh!!

PickNorm

I took down the walls in the passthrough but the side the furnace is on is blocked by solid wood..If I want to get to the furnace I guess I have to take down the underbelly to access it... If I cut out a spac ewith a knife I can probably get to it , but then how to replace the underbelly and keep it up..??..

PickNorm

I've been reading some closed threads where people say they don't have to open up the underbelly to access the furnace.They say they go through the basement..??what the heck is that and where is it and how do you access that?..Thanks..

danemayer

I've been reading some closed threads where people say they don't have to open up the underbelly to access the furnace.They say they go through the basement..??what the heck is that and where is it and how do you access that?..Thanks..
Hi PickNorm,

What model of RV/floor plan do you have?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Once you remove the back walls to the basement storage area, you should be able to see the furnace. If you have a drop frame, like the larger rigs do, then the furnace may be mounted on an extension of the main floor. Which means removing the underbelly covering will not get you access. In the photo, you can see how it's mounted in my rig in the center rear of the photo, next to the water heater. Not the most accessible thing to work on in place. It is possible, as found by others, that the flexible duct work was cut too long and has a crimp in it. I removed about 3 feet of excess from my bedroom duct that was hanging over the PEX plumbing. Yes, boys and girls, it's my old "Basement 'o' Doom" photo.

PickNorm

It is a 2013 XLT 287rl...I am still confused by the whole basement idea and I've tried to access it through the passthrough but there is a solid wall of wood behind the one side and the water pump on the right side..I will need a little more info on how to get to the furnace..Thanks..

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you can see the furnace vents on the outside, you should be able to tell exactly where it is located.
I found some outdoor pics of the XLT 287rl and it looks like the furnace is to the rear of the entry door.
Looking at the indoor pics I see a louvered panel below the oven.
I suggest removing that louvered panel and I suspect you will find your furnace.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Can you take a photo of the opened up area? Somehow they had to have access to connect the duct work once the furnace was inserted from the outside. That solid wall blocking access to the furnace just doesn't sound right. And if it's accessible from the underbelly, how is it supported?

If you can, try removing some of the screws holding up the underbelly covering along the side where the furnace grate is and pull it down for a look-see before cutting it.

branson4020

Icantre Member
It is a 2013 XLT 287rl...I am still confused by the whole basement idea and I've tried to access it through the passthrough but there is a solid wall of wood behind the one side and the water pump on the right side..I will need a little more info on how to get to the furnace..Thanks..

You will need to remove that wall. Many of us have done that and then modified it for easier access.

PickNorm

Yeah, I thought of that Dave......I think that is the cold air return but wasn't sure if I would be able to see the furnace from there or not..I will definitely try that..Thanks...
Oh, be careful walking with shoes into the bedroom..the heater duct/register is right under foot as you walk into the bedroom and it seems the register will break quite easily if you step right on it..I tried to find a metal replacement but was unable so ordered two of the plastic ones from E-Bay, that way I will had a extra one in case this happens again..If it does I will check with metals place her and see about getting one made.

JohnDar

Try Lowe's or Home Depot for a metal register. That's where I got the adjustable ones to replace the original ones (which were metal).

Great idea, plastic floor registers in a traffic area.

Miller0758

Good luck Leep ... Don't even get me started. I don't have the time nor the energy right now to go through my very same issues but perhaps I will this weekend. Only thing I'll say is the brochure says "seem less one piece heating duct". Nothing but flex and they chose to take the longest run in the coach and use that to feed the two furthest floor outlets via a "T" which completely shut down any hopes of airflow. I took down as much coroplast as possible but can't get to everything. As a second owner they don't even want to talk to me. Despite the coach being out of warranty, I don't see this as a warranty issue but instead a misrepresentation and very poor workmanship. If they had a bit of knowledge they would have known how to at least install the flex for proper airflow rather than just throw lengths in without pulling tight, putting obstructions like fittings in and not using metal 90's at the terminations. Well, I guess I said more than intended but this is an ongoing very sore subject. I love my coach and love the club but have a serious issue when it comes to poor workmanship. There is no way this ever worked. Again, good luck and sorry if I rambled or hijacked your thread