Cold weather camping?

INDave

I have a bighorn 3010, in cold weather ( 30 deg ) how long will the LPG last running the furnace....Dave

danemayer

Hi Dave,

Our owner-written Heating and Cooling Guide discusses this briefly.

a 30 pound tank contains enough propane to supply 646,440 BTU of heat. If the furnace consumes 42,000 BTU per hour of operation, that would give you about 15.4 hours of furnace operation. Of course you don’t normally have the furnace running continuously. So if it runs for 10 minutes of every 30 at night, and 5 minutes of 30 during the day, the tank might give you about 2.5 days of operation.

How much the furnace runs will vary quite a bit from model to model depending on RV size, furnace size, features, insulation, outside temps, etc. If overnight temps get down to 30(F), you'll probably get more than 2.5 days from a 30# tank.

Btw, we also have a Water Systems Winter Usage Guide that you might find helpful.

HornedToad

The guide is right on the money with my experience.

In the summer a 30lb tank will last me about 8 weekends, and that's running the fridge & water heater on propane to keep them off the generator.

Last winter in Ft Davis with low 40's in the day and high 20's at night we burnt through a 30lb bottle, plugged in furnace only, on a Thursday night to Sunday afternoon 2.5 day weekend.