new 22.6 cu.ft. Residential Fridge

emm4273610re

Silly question... Nowhere have I found out if the new 22.6 fridge will run on both propane or electric. Does anyone know? When I see the wording of " Residential " I figured it is only electric. Don't want the ice cream to melt while traveling.....:(

danemayer

Re: new 22.6 cu.ft. Fridge

Hi emm427361Ore,

The Residential refrigerators are the same type that you would have in your home residence. They have compressors and run on 110V only. They do not use propane. To keep them cold while towing, there is an extra 12V trailer battery, an inverter that changes that battery's 12V output to 110V, and a transfer switch that connects the inverter output to the refrigerator when you're not plugged into shore power. When you plug into shore power, the transfer switch switches the refrigerator over to shore power.

During a normal day of travel, the battery should keep the refrigerator running so that your ice cream doesn't melt.

If you like to boondock, a residential refrigerator might not be what you want, because over longer periods, it depends on shore power.

Birchwood

If the fridge cost you $4000 or was a $4000 option its both propane and electric.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

If the fridge cost you $4000 or was a $4000 option its both propane and electric.

The Residential Fridge option includes Stainless Steel appliances and the auto inverter package for keeping things cool while traveling. The fridge does not run on propane, only 110 volts

danemayer

The Landmark MSRP Sheet shows the Residential Refrigerator Option in place of standard appliances has an MSRP of $638.

emm4273610re

Thanks for the info. So does that battery stay charged while driving by the truck like mine does now? Is it a separate battery or is it the same one that comes with the coach? The Bighorns come with one and have room for a second. Will I need the second battery? I don't do any dry camping just don't want to loose the fridge due to low power. Thanks

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
When you get it from the factory, a Inverter and extra battery are installed and yes it is charged by the tow vehicle or by shore power when you are plugged in. As far as using it for boon docking or any extended time without being hooked up to power, the life of the battery will be short lived as the refrigerator consumes a lot of power.