Cable, Internet, & VOIP in RW415 recommendations

Rudy415

Hello,
I just purchased a RW 415 and am going to primarily park it in RV campground that has access to a local cable provider, and I'm asking for some guidance on easiest and best methods for services and installation. The provider can do full cable, wireless, an VOIP internet phone. These would be provided via 2 coax cables from the power pole. The cable TV is easy and I know how to do that. The other coax comes off pole and will provide VOIP phone, and internet. Has anyone done all 3 services? The local RV tech say one option is to that once that coax come into the coach, plug into a wireless router then the whole gang can have access to everything. I have read many post where people are using the ATT wireless hotspots, which I do have one. Your advice is appreciated. Rudy

danemayer

Hi Rudy415,

Congratulations on the new 415 and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm wondering why the provider needs 2 coax cables from the power pole. I think if it were to a house, there might be one wire and a splitter either where it comes to the house, or inside. So you might want to push back on the 2 wire deal and see if they have alternatives. Your trailer's cable coax goes through a signal booster which is designed to work with cable TV, but who knows if it'll work with internet and VOIP phone. If two cables are really needed, you might have to run the 2nd connection into the basement and put a router/wireless access point there for internet. The VOIP phone could be trickier since they typically need a hardwired ethernet connection to the router. If the router is in the basement, that might not be a convenient location for the VOIP box.

An alternative to the VOIP phone is Verizon Home Phone Connect. It's a small box that connects to the Verizon Cell Network. You plug your phone(s) into the back they work just like they would at home or with VOIP. It doesn't need any wires to connect to the phone network. $20/month, which might be less than the VOIP rate. With a 2 year commitment, the equipment may be free. Check with a Verizon store.

Rudy415

thank you Dan. I will look into this. I figured that a wireless router would be needed for VOIP and the internet, or else it's just a one connection deal.

mobilcastle

I use Voip at home through Google and the phone service is free anywhere in the US. It is a great system. You need this to setup-[h=1]OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter and Voice Service Bridge[/h]
Get it at Amazon