ATF: ElkRidge - Towmax tires

BandK

Having read all about the towmax tires, I have religiously maintained the air in the tires prior to departing everytime and checking them on the road. I also purchased an air compressor to handle the task.

Now while my trailer was at the service center for more warranty work, the service writer was ready to release the rig to me, when he noticed tread separating on the driver front and upon further inspection, passenger rear tires. (Thank you Jose!) The service center took the tires to the towmax representative (BigO), where they determined that the the DS tire was caused by impact and therefore not warranty, the PS tire is prorated warranty due to separation. ( I find it interesting that Big O is the rep, but they do not sell these tires Hmmm)

This rig has not been out of the state and has been on 4 outings that were no more than 200 miles from home. The rest of the mileage has been back and forth to the service center. Definitely well under 3000 miles since purchasing the new rig the end of June 2013.

My complaint is why do you put such bad tires on a rig that cost $50,000 and is going to be on the road most of the time. Now I have to fork out another $1000 to get reliable tires. If two are bad, I am not going to wait for the other two to fail. Yes, I am very upset!

I understand that any new RV is going to have issues in the beginning and I have accepted that. However, if you know things are an issue, why don't you fix them at the factory and not wait for them to hit the road?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
This issue is not just a HL problem. Most trailers come with China bombs. HL however, has, on ordered trailers, installed GY G614 tires at an extra cost. The unit does have to have 16" wheels rated at 110#. You need to contact Tredit tire (ph# on portal page) and explain your issue. They are the people that supply the tires and wheels to HL. This tire issue has been an ongoing for years with hundreds of posts and threads on the forum. My best advise is to bite the bullit and replace the tires with a good US built LT tire. To answer your last question....not everyone wants to add $1500 to their coach cost.